Author Topic: Comparing Playmobil Pizzeria #6291 to Sylvanian Families Pizza Parlour  (Read 13267 times)

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Yeah, calico critters are made by sylvanian families. They're cute, but I can't get past having mice be the same size as bears.
I think you just have to stick to types that are around the same size normally (like mice, hamsters, and chipmunks).

I wonder if that's the line I saw in Harrods last month? They had some hugh, incredible building that were not cheap, and a bit hard to bring home on a plane without paying for another seat.  I don't know of any place in the US that sells that line. I'd get one of the pizza sets if I knew where.
I've seen smaller sets at Barnes and Noble, but Toys 'R Us and any of the larger toy stores should have them. Ask for "Calico Critters", as they're no longer called Sylvanian Families in the US.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
I think you just have to stick to types that are around the same size normally (like mice, hamsters, and chipmunks).

Don't get me wrong, I played with them as a child and absolutely loved them. I had pigs and bears back then. And there was a similar line made by sylvanian families that went with a cartoon, called maple town, and I had LOTS of that. I'm still tempted to buy them sometimes, but I have to make myself stick to just playmobil, because if I ever start collecting any other type of toy, I'm sunk. I'll start collecting Calico Critters, legos, duplos, loving family, barbies, madame alexander dolls, polly pocket, littlest pet shop, melissa & doug wooden toys... the list goes on. :lol: That's why I have to make myself be critical of other toy lines. ;)
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
Don't get me wrong, I played with them as a child and absolutely loved them. I had pigs and bears back then. And there was a similar line made by sylvanian families that went with a cartoon, called maple town, and I had LOTS of that. I'm still tempted to buy them sometimes, but I have to make myself stick to just playmobil, because if I ever start collecting any other type of toy, I'm sunk. I'll start collecting Calico Critters, legos, duplos, loving family, barbies, madame alexander dolls, polly pocket, littlest pet shop, melissa & doug wooden toys... the list goes on. :lol: That's why I have to make myself be critical of other toy lines. ;)

My sister and I had a combo of Sylvanian and Maple Town as kids. My niece has been playing with our old ones, and now a couple of the bunnies are balding. :o They were almost mint after two children and 20ish years, now this!
I totally understand. I simply can't afford (money-wise, time-wise, or space-wise) to start collecting a 2nd toy line. *must focus*

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
You're the first person I've talked to who remembers Maple Town! I had tons of it, but it was all thrown away later. :-\ It's very rare now, but I have seen some of my old sets on ebay. Nice memories. :love:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Jay

• Playmo Addict
Never saw them.  Guess I've been too focused. 

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
You're the first person I've talked to who remembers Maple Town! I had tons of it, but it was all thrown away later. :-\ It's very rare now, but I have seen some of my old sets on ebay. Nice memories. :love:
I'm sure I didn't realize they were two separate brands back then, but apparently our furniture was Maple Town. I'm sure a few of the figures were as well.

That is sad. A lot of our toys were given away (mostly to my aunt and uncle who were running a small school at the time), but apparently my mother liked the Sylvanian/Maple Town stuff because she kept them. (And I saved all the Playmobil.  ;))

Offline toyologist

• Playmo Lover
okay, seems there is no contest here. being from a part of america where there is a corner pizzeria literally on every corner i cand truly say this sylvanian counter is the hands down winner. the playmobil 'counter' is really bland and unremarkable.i don't know sylvanian (sorry!!) but it's nice to see that the lines integrate so nicely with one another. are the sylvanian boxes made of cardboard?

thanks for this post!

Yep, the Sylvanian boxes are made out of cardboard.

The sets do work well together. I guess by combining the two, I get one complete pizzeria!

Offline toyologist

• Playmo Lover
I THINK Sylvanian are called Callico Critters in the US.

There's several pics of the sylvanian bakery and fridge (and food) somewhere on the PROCESS...

You're correct. In the U.S. we call them Calico Critters. I used 'Sylvanian Families' for this thread because this is an SF set. Calico Critters did have a very similar set around 10 years ago, but it didn't come with the takeout counter or the delivery vehicle. So far, this set has not been released in the U.S.

I have a difficult time waiting for things to become available here so most of my sets are actually SF!

Offline toyologist

• Playmo Lover
I wonder if that's the line I saw in Harrods last month? They had some hugh, incredible building that were not cheap, and a bit hard to bring home on a plane without paying for another seat.  I don't know of any place in the US that sells that line. I'd get one of the pizza sets if I knew where.

If you're in the U.S., I think the internet is your only option. At sylvanianfamilies.com they are willing to ship to the U.S. Also, of course, there's ebay!

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Okay, so this made me decide to definitely buy the Sylvanian pizzeria in stead of the PM one  ;D

It brilliant!! The cardboard boxes, the pizza's, the oven, the cans of beer, the counter!!

I don't mind mixing and matching, as long as it looks good.