Author Topic: Secret Klicky for Timotheos - Watkin the Forester  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Secret Klicky for Timotheos - Watkin the Forester
« on: November 10, 2007, 06:42:12 »
The klickie sent to me arrived on November 6 from the UK.  Whoever sent it went to a lot of trouble, and I hate to keep them waiting for a response. 

The klickie came with a background story that the artist must have gone to some pain to research.  Before I reproduce the text, let me add that this klickie looks more medieval than any of the customs I have made for myself and fits right in with my forest scene.  The attached photos show him posing and also at work.  The accompanying dog was a bonus for me--I don't have that style of dog and was looking to ordering one from DS.

=====================================================
Klickie background (from the text posted with him)
=====================================================
Watkin the Forester

Watkin is a middle-aged man, employed by his local lord to manage an area of several acres of woodland near the lord's castle.  He lives with his dog Odo in a small one room cottage on the edge of the wood.

His primary work is coppicing Hazel, Sweet Chestnut, Oak, Hornbeam, Birch and Beech trees to produce woods used for a huge variety of purposes: tool handles, thatching spars, wicket hurdle fences, and so forth.  Larger sawn pieces from older tress are turned on a hand lathe to make wooden bowls and plates.  Much coppiced wood goes for charcoal burning, the charcoal then used in the Blacksmith's forge and the potter's kiln.

Being skilled in the use of a small hand hatchet, Watkin lays the hedges on much of the lord's farmlands, a job which has to be repeated, like most coppicing, on a 5-7 year cycle.

His other activities depend on the season, but include the harvesting of edible wild mushrooms, Sweet Chestnuts and Hazel nuts from the trees, which he delivers to the castle kitchens.

He also sets snares for rabbits and other small game, patrolling the woodland daily to check his snares, and using his belt knife to mercifully dispoatch the trapped animal (if the snare did not kill it instantly).  He will usually present the complete carcases to the castle's butcher for skinning and dressing, but retains a few for his own stockpot.  The furs are used for lining gloves and other clothing for the cold winter months, and the hides used for small leather items like gloves and soft shoes.

==============================================================

Thanks again!  I would have been happy with any type of klickie, but this fit in well with my favorite theme.
-Tim
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 21:50:18 by Sylvia »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Arrived on Nov 6
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 12:07:10 »

The klickie sent to me arrived on November 6 from the UK.  Whoever sent it went to a lot of trouble, and I hate to keep them waiting for a response. 

Thanks for sharing, Tim ...

Great custom and great background story!

Looks like arrival of Watkin the Forester has "officially" started the event ... ;)

---

Hello, Sylvia ...

Could everyone else who has put their name forward in this topic please send me their postal address by PM or e-mail so I can pass it on to whoever is eventually selected to be their partner for this event.

Has everyone replied, and have you had an opportunity to send out ALL of the addresses yet ... ???

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Arrived on Nov 6
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 15:31:11 »
Has everyone replied, and have you had an opportunity to send out ALL of the addresses yet ... ???

Everyone should have the mailing address of their recipient by now. :yup:

If I forgot someone or they didn't receive my message, please let me know. :)

Nice custom, Tim! A lot of thought obviously went into the background story also. 8-)

If people prefer, they can make a new topic in the Community Events board when they receive their gift rather than posting on this topic - but either way is fine, of course. :)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
Arrived on Nov 6
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 18:31:06 »
Hi Sylvia, if you want to move that to a new thread, that would be great (I don't know how to do it).

-Tim

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Secret Klicky for Timotheos - Watkin the Forester
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 21:53:54 »
Ok, it's split into a new topic now. (I forgot to change the title when moving the posts, so I had to edit your first post in order to do this. :-[)

If you want to change the name of the topic to something else, then please feel free to do so. :)

Offline Captain Henry

• Pirate King!
  • Playmo Lover
Re: Secret Klicky for Timotheos - Watkin the Forester
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 21:40:26 »
Wow! That is a very cool custom, and very educational too - my wife and I learned what coppice means! :) We'd never heard that word before.

I am sure he is a welcome addition to your medieval kingdom!
He who rules the seas, rules the world! And pirates rule the seas! -- Captain Henry