Author Topic: A few more custom medieval troops  (Read 2076 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
A few more custom medieval troops
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:45:54 »
Dear All,

In the relatively rare moments not spent on trying to catch up on sleep or do any of the various other things necessary when one has a newborn baby (except feeding -- mom has a monopoly on that!  ;)), I found a little time to do a few more customs...

The first photo shows a group of halberdiers/billmen who are counterparts to the crossbowmen I showed here:
http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4217.msg52826#msg52826 I found that the body of the 4742 Conquistador special matches the green legs and collars I used before, and I figured the crossbowmen could use some cover while they reload. Based on the narrative of a battle I posted over on Garden Wargaming, these men are part of the militia of the town of Granpont. (You can see the crossbowmen in action here http://gardenwargaming.playclicks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1493.msg13564#msg13564 and here http://gardenwargaming.playclicks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1493.msg13571#msg13571)

The second photo is of some experiments I've done trying to make knights that I think work better carrying the blazon of the 4689 Swan Knight special. Picking out the main colours from the shield, red and light blue seemed to me to work. What do you think?

The last two photos are a few guys based on the body from this special: 4505 - Prince (very nice blazon -- shame Playmobil never made a shield with it  :'(). I won an EBay auction a while ago that was essentially a (slightly grubby) pile of these guys, mostly without the correct accessories. Anyway, I figured the common silver-grey arms and legs (representing chainmail in my mind) would clash with the gold details on the body. So, with some dark grey bits from the new Falcon knights, here's what I've got so far. Need more Falcon knights to continue... The first shot is the captain (at the moment), the second a group shot.

Hope folks like 'em.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
Re: A few more custom medieval troops
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 14:07:30 »
Magnificent!!! :wow:
I love your billmen, they will fit perfectly with your crossbowmen. :wow:
And your idea for Swan Knights, is much better then Playmobils. :shhhh:
I also really like the last group,
the dark armor goes with them much better then the light. :clap:
Brilliant job! :wow:

(*Cough*, you think if you can find time to customize,
   you can find time to post your rules online... ;) Just kidding.)
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 14:43:24 »
Excellent customs. I like your use of particolored uniforms for the billmen, it's a lot less common in Playmo customs.
The swan knights color combos are wonderful. You might consider the collar from 30 00 5180 - Archer, Yellow Shirt, Red Squared collar. The red would mirror the top of the shield.

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 15:59:03 »
Magnificent!!! :wow:
I love your billmen, they will fit perfectly with your crossbowmen. :wow:
And your idea for Swan Knights, is much better then Playmobils. :shhhh:
I also really like the last group,
the dark armor goes with them much better then the light. :clap:
Brilliant job! :wow:

(*Cough*, you think if you can find time to customize,
   you can find time to post your rules online... ;) Just kidding.)
Hi WoT,

Glad you like them!

Fair point about those rules... I'll see what I can do.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline grangel

• Playmo Master
  • Medieval military designer
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 16:00:05 »
Beautiful Knights Andrew!

My favotite is you lion's Captain.Excellent Custom! I will surely make of this!!

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 16:06:17 »
Excellent customs. I like your use of particolored uniforms for the billmen, it's a lot less common in Playmo customs.
The swan knights color combos are wonderful. You might consider the collar from 30 00 5180 - Archer, Yellow Shirt, Red Squared collar. The red would mirror the top of the shield.

Hi Tiermann,

Much appreciated!

I've now used particoloured arms in several different groups. When trying to match colour schemes to some of Playmobil's heraldry, I find that's one of the best approaches.

I would love to be able to use the collar from that Klicky, but I haven't got any of him  :(. And the Merry Men's Feast is, ahem, stupidly expensive challenging to acquire via EBay. And he's no longer available via DS (yes, I asked).

Speaking of collars, I quite like the collar on this guy as well 30 00 9770 - Mercenary. But he's hard to come by, too.

Oh well. [Repeat as a mantra:] 'If it were easy it wouldn't be fun. If it were easy it wouldn't be fun. If it were easy it wouldn't be fun.'

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 16:08:56 »
Beautiful Knights Andrew!

My favotite is you lion's Captain.Excellent Custom! I will surely make of this!!

Hi Grangel,

Glad you like 'em.

I may change the captain a bit so he has gold chainmail and armoured arms, but I'll need to get the parts first...

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 16:28:09 »
Great designs Andrew. I really like what you did to the swan knight.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 18:40:11 »
Andrew, i specially liked the last ones, they look terrific! One of the best liveries I've seen so far for knights .

And how is the baby? Everything well, I hope?
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 18:50:11 »
Great customs yet again Andrew!!!
Coincidentally I was busting my head the other night what to do with my spare 4505 torsos... some very good combinations you have here with the dark grey armour!!!  :lens: :)9