Author Topic: Yet more medieval customs  (Read 3704 times)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
Yet more medieval customs
« on: April 03, 2010, 16:14:48 »
Hi All,

Yes, it's me and my customised medieval troops again. Probably about a third of the way through my collection now...

Anyway, first today are troops bearing what I call the 'dragon-serpent' emblem (from the 4441 Attack Tower). I rather like this blazon, and I think it's far superior to the howling red wolf from the 4440 Take-Along Castle. As has become my custom (ha ha  :lol:), I begin with the leader of this faction with his mounted knights and standard-bearer. Then the same men dismounted, followed by a shot of all the footsoldiers together in a group.

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
Re: Yet more medieval customs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 16:16:27 »
And now some shots of smaller groups of these men.

And as always, I've tried to have a basic scheme to lend the group some visual cohesion (so they can recognise their friends on the field of battle), but varied the details to avoid what others have called the 'Klicky-clone' syndrome  ;).

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 16:23:49 »
Now we move onto  the famous (or infamous) pink Barbarians! [You had to expect I was going to get to these guys eventually, right?]

I know there are many out there who can't stand the pink/magenta colour, and I will happily admit: when they first came out, I said (loudly) 'What were they thinking?'. I can't quite recall, but I think I made retching noises as well...

But...

Somehow these guys kind of grew on me, and now, partly by accident, partly by design, I have assembled a sizable force of them. So, we begin, as always, with the leader group, first mounted, then on foot.

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 16:24:58 »
And now small group shots of the longbowmen belonging to this affinity...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 16:26:02 »
Great work yet again andrew!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I did not expect the combination of red and yellow to work for this faction. It works pretty good after all...
I like you method of giving different armor and different facial characteristics to the knights. I used to do the same thing with my custom knights, but for some reason I stopped giving them different armor...I only kept the different facial characteristics.... 

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 16:26:48 »
And now groups of the men armed with sword, axe and mace.

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 16:28:39 »
The barbarian leader is great!!!!  8-)

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 16:28:39 »
And the rest...

Regarding the colour, I comfort myself with the idea that, in whatever parallel world these guys are from, the raw materials for purple dye must have been far cheaper than it was in this world in the ancient, medieval and early modern periods.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 16:36:08 »
Great work yet again andrew!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I did not expect the combination of red and yellow to work for this faction. It works pretty good after all...
I like you method of giving different armor and different facial characteristics to the knights. I used to do the same thing with my custom knights, but for some reason I stopped giving them different armor...I only kept the different facial characteristics.... 
Hi Wolf Knight,

Many thanks for the complement  :wave:.

My basic approach is to look at what different colours appear in the heraldic emblem, then try to match the bodies, arms, legs and other accessories to fit. It's also a matter of what parts I have available at the time!

Anyway, I thought the basic mix of black bodies and yellow arms, but with red details (hoods and belts) seemed to fit well. I wish I had more parts like the collar from this guy 30 00 5180 - Archer, Yellow Shirt, Red Squared collar from the Merry Men's feast, or this guy from the Wolf Clan knights 30 00 9770 - Mercenary. But alas, I don't.

But if I ever do get some, I'll try to add a bit more variety to the dragon-serpent guys.

Cheers,

AndrewL

Offline AndrewL

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 16:37:38 »
The barbarian leader is great!!!!  8-)

Thanks!

AndrewL