Author Topic: Any possibility of a rerelease of 3666?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline jodawill

• Playmo Enthusiast
Any possibility of a rerelease of 3666?
« on: April 12, 2022, 13:07:57 »
With the advent of the revival of the Victorian theme, do you all think there's a higher chance now that they may reboot the 1990s Knights theme with a rerelease of 3666? They've periodically teased us with some rereleases from this line, like the current 6464 "Group of Outlaws." I think it would be terrific if they'd rerelease the old castle soon. Honestly, I'd probably buy about five of them. ;D

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Any possibility of a rerelease of 3666?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 17:59:28 »
It would be great to see it again, they are edging around it from time to time but getting the big set would be great. It's a true classic.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 20:12:29 »
If they were willing to re-release 5300 then I don't see why not.

3652 (jousting set) would be my top pick from that era of Medieval sets

Offline JackLeftTown

• The Supreme Backward
  • Playmo Pal
  • Been a LONG time!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 08:33:54 »
3666 was my first Playmobil purchase in mid 1990s! Man, the hours of fun I had redesigning it and making different Steck layouts! I would probably buy 2 or 3 myself!
JLT
Novelmore Enthusiast

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 14:39:20 »
With the amount of plastic this set demands and the direction oil prices are going I see a less chance currently

If the oil/gas was to flow then I’d be more optimistic

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 04:12:18 »
With the amount of plastic this set demands and the direction oil prices are going I see a less chance currently

If the oil/gas was to flow then I’d be more optimistic
Didn't playmobil come into being as a result of the 1970's oil crisis?
What they could do in any case is focus on the figures and reduce the large background pieces which are mostly single use.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 07:59:04 »
What they could do in any case is focus on the figures and reduce the large background pieces which are mostly single use.

Exactly...  There is no understanding them.  I am pretty sure most of us have some of the first steck parts about in our steck tubs, no?  Being compatible AND able to make use of MORE parts should be a must these days. Oh, wait, but then people might actually BUY more sets. The HORROR.  ::) ???

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 09:44:53 »
Exactly...  There is no understanding them.  I am pretty sure most of us have some of the first steck parts about in our steck tubs, no?  Being compatible AND able to make use of MORE parts should be a must these days. Oh, wait, but then people might actually BUY more sets. The HORROR.  ::) ???

If I'm understanding you correctly - that if all Playmobil building were compatible they would sell more - then I don't think this is true.

Playmobil isn't a building toy. As a child, I had more Playmobil than anyone I knew, I got Playmobil for every birthday and Christmas. What could I do in terms of varying buildings? Very little, because even Steck isn't really a very flexible building system. Yes, people on here can build amazing things, but in reality almost no child is going to have enough Playmobil to do that. You could, of course, devise it so that it was more flexible (and as an adult, that is the dream) but that's extremely unlikely to happen.

I do think it would be desirable if they took a more consistent approach to their buildings, and as an adult it is annoying. But  I don't honestly think any child is going to be put off buying a set because it's not compatible.

System-X is probably the closest they've come to trying to be a building toy, but I presume that the reason it's been partially phased out is that parents didn't like the length of time it took to assemble.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 12:20:46 »
If I'm understanding you correctly - that if all Playmobil building were compatible they would sell more - then I don't think this is true.

Well.. we will agree to disagree.... What I mean is if things weren't stupidly made to NOT be used in ANY other way, they'd sell more. Take the ghostbusters less-than-half-building. Looks pretty, totally different from other buildings. But.. it's tiny and incomplete. Buy TWO! Wait, no... that doesn't solve anything. That is what I mean...

Like the stupid system WHY rocks - for example the HTTYD ones..

Also something that doesn't seem to worry them is that we DO need to put it away.... And these idiotic systems made to just build one thing, many times are not made to be disassembled... and they are huge.. then WHAT?  (I am guessing this should be an even bigger problem for "normal" kids?)

Playmobil isn't a building toy.

Not the main focus, NO. BUT... first ever steck we had was the magician's workshop. It was my sister's... I played HOURS doing different stuff with those parts - and consider many are just ruins, so...

WHY wouldn't they want a system that CAN be extended? These lame new castles have strong limitations (a fact for which my wallet is VERY grateful - we have none)...

What could I do in terms of varying buildings? Very little, because even Steck isn't really a very flexible building system.

True - steck is made for buildings, yes. But you can do an amazing range of stuff with it... A lot of limitations can be overcome creatively, but I admit it could use a load of parts. With 3D printing, the possibilities are endless (I avoid looking into those, at least until I find a bank to.... visit.  >:D )

Yes, people on here can build amazing things, but in reality almost no child is going to have enough Playmobil to do that.

Of course not, especially if they are treated like idiots... "oh, no, that'd be soooo complicated to build... better a hunk of plastic, and lets make sure they know who is who!"

The american boxes of old had explanations on how to play. It was shocking. These days, it's spreading :(

But  I don't honestly think any child is going to be put off buying a set because it's not compatible.

You are probably right. However, the adult in charge of the wallet might. Why get ANOTHER building/whetever, if it's another huge thing and you can't even use them together?

System-X is probably the closest they've come to trying to be a building toy, but I presume that the reason it's been partially phased out is that parents didn't like the length of time it took to assemble.

Yes, imagine that... spending time with their brats!  We keep getting things made for the lowest common denominator (is that the name in english?) :(

I don't have enough experience with system X. If I live long enough, one day I will fix that.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 13:47:21 »
Didn't playmobil come into being as a result of the 1970's oil crisis?

Perhaps Geobra could once again go the historical route , start a micro toy line of playmobil mini’s .  Then collectors storage problems would be solved as the klickies would be 1/2 an inch (1.25cm) tall 

If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays: