Author Topic: Creating our own assembly instructions  (Read 5287 times)

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
Re: Creating our own assembly instructions
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 04:21:37 »
Hi Heather, I just wanted to let you know that I am still planning on taking some pictures this weekend. I was going to start with the 5300.

I also really like the idea of distributing assembly instructions for custom builds. I have a few Steck houses that I wouldn't mind sharing. I guess I would list the parts/numbers and then show a pictorial assembly section for something like that.
Yes, that's what I had in mind: a series of pictures, showing each new part or group of related parts as they're added to the model.  If the model is turned, or a sub-model used, that has to be shown as well.  The new parts have to be clearly visible so they can be noted.  I found a good Lego example at Brickshelf:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=300808

I'll need a list of part numbers (and quantities, if not obvious) for each picture.
Which do you think I should do first? The 5300, or a custom building? I could go either way,
Steve
Whichever is simpler, to start.  They'll both work on the same principle, except that 5300 I would link to from the set page and a custom needs its own menu page, easy to mock up.  I have a few programming tasks to do to support this, and tomorrow there's going to be a snowstorm, so it's good timing!
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 04:08:25 »
Hi Heather, I've been waylaid! I ended up working over the weekend on a project that was due Monday...I hate it when life gets in the way of my toys.

I work freelance, so sometimes I get tight deadlines. At this point I think I'll be doing a custom building to start with. It will be easier for me to do. I have one steck building with an interesting stairwell that others may like to see. I'll keep you posted on my progress...
Steve
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 12:32:11 »
Sounds cool! Take it easy, this is one project that has no deadlines or requirements.  Looking forward to it.
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 16:31:29 »
I don't think Heather and Socrates are really that far apart.  Both ideas (photo plans of the standard set and photo plans of a custom) would be useful, though in some cases to different groups of people.  The custom photo plans have the additional value that they may encourage people who originally just went to playmoDB for the standard photo plans to experiment themselves.  And as both lots of photo plans are going to be submitted by volunteers, people can concentrate on whichever type they prefer, or both, and know that either way they are adding to the wealth of valuable Playmobil information on the web.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 20:12:08 »

Hello, Gordon ...

I don't think Heather and Socrates are really that far apart.  Both ideas (photo plans of the standard set and photo plans of a custom) would be useful, though in some cases to different groups of people.  The custom photo plans have the additional value that they may encourage people who originally just went to playmoDB for the standard photo plans to experiment themselves.  And as both lots of photo plans are going to be submitted by volunteers, people can concentrate on whichever type they prefer, or both, and know that either way they are adding to the wealth of valuable Playmobil information on the web.

It would appear that you and I might actually be in agreement ... ;)

Hello, Socrates ...

I think that most if us would agree that there are COLLECTORS and that there are CUSTOMIZERS here at Playmofriends. And, that many of us are BOTH collectors AND customizers.

What you, Heather and Tim are suggesting would be incredibly useful to all of us in one way or another. Personally, I really like your idea about sharing "custom" instructions.

Thanks for a great idea, Socrates!

All the best,
Richard

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 21:29:33 »

Hello, Gordon ...

It would appear that you and I might actually be in agreement ... ;)

Oh, this is worrying!   ;D
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”