Author Topic: Playmobil packaging.  (Read 8406 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Playmobil packaging.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2011, 17:11:58 »
Playmobil packaging has been marked with the "Grüner Punkt" (Green Dot) since the late 80's.

Thank you for this explanation on the PM boxes LHAAP. After reading the definition of the symbol it would appear that if Playmobil would shrink packaging sizes it would cost them less in licensing fee's being another win win for them, plus causing lower shipping costs, and preserving the environment. I don't see a positive for continuing to manufacture boxes in this current trend. Plus another off topic issue that is raising consumer costs is the recycle fee's for plastic that they use in production. :-\

The following are quotes from the article explaining the green dot definition. 

"In simple terms, the system encourages manufacturers to cut down on packaging as this saves them the cost of licence fees."

"German licence fees are calculated using the weight of packs, each material type used and the volumes of product produced per annum."

« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 17:36:47 by Bill Blackhurst »
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2011, 17:16:57 »

Build a house out of old Playmobil boxes like building blocks, stucco the outside and put a metal roof on it .

:!: Now that's an idea! Now if you could just find a way for the boxes to show, it would be like some kind of utopia, wouldn't it?  :lol:

like where I live, we are required to travel 10 miles to a recycling center, wasting gas & time, & most of the time the containers are overflowing causing even more problems on a busy weekend. Most neighbors on my street have stopped hauling their recyclable items due to the inconvience.

You bring up an interesting point here, BB. In my area, remembering to recycle is just a matter of putting it in the right bin. We have recycling pick-up once a week. But for some people, it isn't so easy, and so they don't bother to do it. I forget sometimes that there isn't a recycle truck that comes around everywhere.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2011, 17:19:41 »
Thank you for this explanation on the PM boxes LHAAP. After reading the definition of the symbol it would appear that if Playmobil would shrink packaging sizes it would cost them less in licensing fee's being another win win for them, plus causing lower shipping costs, and preserving the environment. I don't see a positive for continuing to manufacture boxes in this current trend. Plus another off topic issue that is raising consumer costs is the recycle fee's for plastic that they use in production. :-\

"In simple terms, the system encourages manufacturers to cut down on packaging as this saves them the cost of licence fees."

"German licence fees are calculated using the weight of packs, each material type used and the volumes of product produced per annum."

If that is how it reads than I think this is having a negative impact on the toy itself. Playmobil seems to still want to make the big boxes with lots of air space. In the past they would put in the dividers to keep the items from banging around. Now if they want the same size box but they are rewarded to use less than the first thing to go is the dividers. Now if you read Martins reviews he notices the banging around is scratching up the sets giving the consumer a negative first impression
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2011, 17:21:21 »
Yes, that is the case with the whale set, 4489, that I just bought. In there loose and banging around, and the bag had even come open, spilling all the small parts everywhere.
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2011, 17:23:37 »

You bring up an interesting point here, BB. In my area, remembering to recycle is just a matter of putting it in the right bin. We have recycling pick-up once a week. But for some people, it isn't so easy, and so they don't bother to do it. I forget sometimes that there isn't a recycle truck that comes around everywhere.

Exactly bb! When we moved into our house recently, believe it or not instead of one trash pickup provider serving the area, there were several running the same route on different days. When we inquired on price & recycle pickup with each company, none offered recycle pickup services. Talk about waste of resources, there are at least 3 mornings out of the week you are woke up to a different diesel burning huge compactor truck doing their duties on our street.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2011, 17:24:57 »
That's crazy.  ??? They really should offer recycling services. Is it a rather rural area where you are?

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2011, 17:33:31 »
If that is how it reads than I think this is having a negative impact on the toy itself. Playmobil seems to still want to make the big boxes with lots of air space. In the past they would put in the dividers to keep the items from banging around. Now if they want the same size box but they are rewarded to use less than the first thing to go is the dividers. Now if you read Martins reviews he notices the banging around is scratching up the sets giving the consumer a negative first impression

That is another great idea showing their disregard to impliment effective change! They have used less dividers causing damage to the contents. Instead of adequate proactive packaging helping international shipping costs, boxes sized to contents, less resource wastefulness, things aren't changing for the better !

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2011, 17:34:21 »
That's crazy.  ??? They really should offer recycling services. Is it a rather rural area where you are?

Yes, we are considered rural. Hence multiple providers, all private.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2011, 17:39:47 »
Ah, I see. Well that makes sense, then, because usually in rural areas there isn't recycling pick-up. At least you get trash pick-up!