Author Topic: Playmobil 71604 50th Anniversary Knight  (Read 286 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
Playmobil 71604 50th Anniversary Knight
« on: March 21, 2024, 16:32:33 »
On the occasion of its first half century, Playmobil issued a jubilee knight:

I wasn't blown away at first, but, having inspected him now myself, am quite content with the product and the idea.

With the exception of the hair, the knight is identical with the 30th anniversary knight 4430 of 20 years ago, here on the left:

The big difference is the material. The 30th anniversary knight was famously made using real gold, and that shows. The armor shines and sparkles, but the sheen is also very delicate and few knights remain fresh now, twenty years on. The one I'm showing here still looks good, but many others have turned dull. The jubilee knight's armor is made of a more recent type of metallic gold material, seen for example in the armor parts of 5477 - Goldener Ritter Christopher and 5355 - Eagle Tournament Knight, which appears to be more durable.

The sword of the 30th anniversary knight is chrome, the sword of the jubilee knight is made of the same metallic silver material that is seen, for example, in the armor of 5356 - Lion Tournament Knight.

Turning to the horse, which is the original Version 1, once again back in production. The caparison mirrors another ancient part, namely the horse coat of the original Golden Knight (a.k.a. Swan Knight) of sets 3654 and 3024 of 1993, resp. 1999, shown here on the right:

As you can see, printing quality in the 1990s was better than nowadays.

How does this all work together as a set? Playmobil is celebrating a golden jubilee, so obviously something made of gold is called for. The Golden Knight is a famous Playmobil figure, here assembled with parts from different episodes of Playmobil history: the horse from the nineties, the knight from the noughties, and the new gold material from the second decade of this century. I like the idea.

Happy birthday, Playmobil! <:D

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: Playmobil 71604 50th Anniversary Knight
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 02:21:59 »
 <:D :woohoo:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2024, 02:33:10 »
Thanks for the review on this one, I look forward to getting one. It's the first jousting knight they have done in years.

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 06:32:10 »
I think the caparison would be improved by adding black outlines and black lines between the two colours, basically like the 90s horse cover. The gold plated knight was a great idea but the gold was too thin and I presume the backing material oxidised unless the gold itself was an alloy. These knights were going dull within months depending on the environment they were in.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 07:36:47 »
He's really nice (even if not fave molds for armor or helmet)

Thank you for the detailed pics.

(...)here assembled with parts from different episodes of Playmobil history: the horse from the nineties, the knight from the noughties, and the new gold material from the second decade of this century. I like the idea.

Unfortunately, I SERIOUSLY doubt that crossed anyone's mind there...

Still...

<:D

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 08:12:02 »
Unfortunately, I SERIOUSLY doubt that crossed anyone's mind there...

It's a celebration of past glory, so I do believe that somebody consciously put it together like this.

It's the first jousting knight they have done in years.

I suspect it's also going to be their last, ever :(

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 08:26:21 »
Great review, StJohn. I didn't know about the real gold on the original Knight.

The guy in our local toyshop (a rare beast (the shop, not the guy) because it actually stocks PM!) told us this Knight is the same as those from the very start of Playmobil. I didn't have the heart to tell him it copies something from just 20 years ago (25 years for the horse and its curtains) ! I do wish geobra would release some of those pastel-coloured figures from 1974!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:13:14 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 12:43:57 »
Yeah you'd think they'd do a pack of the original Indian, knight and construction worker, but in gold or something  :indian: :knight: :builder:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 13:54:32 »
Yeah you'd think they'd do a pack of the original Indian, knight and construction worker, but in gold or something  :indian: :knight: :builder:

:love: