Author Topic: The Financial Situation of Playmobil  (Read 6432 times)

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: The Financial Situation of Playmobil
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2019, 09:38:10 »
I've noticed that increasingly Lego seem to mirror what Playmobil produce and in many ways this is easy for them to do as the basic unit in Lego is an easily reproducible brick.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 22:05:26 »
I don't follow Lego closely, but I'd say that the sets that are directly aimed at collectors are the modular buildings, which they release about one a year.

The 'pop culture/licensed stuff' is probably largely aimed at adults, but Playmobil has started doing that now (the Ghostbusters and Back to the Future sets), but I class those slightly differently. I'd also say the museum figures, and stuff like that is aimed at adults, and I think that's a market that has potential (since a single klicky is cheap, and light and small).

I suspect that the production model of Lego makes sets for adults easier to make (I could be wrong, but I think the designers of early modular sets were only allowed to use parts and colours in production elsewhere).

We obviously don't know the figures, but even sets that were super rare/expensive on eBay end up being sold off at a reduced price via Direct Service, which would indicate that the adult market isn't huge.

Modulars yes, but not only. A number of Lego Ideas (designed by Adult Fans of Lego, or AFOLs) have been produced featuring adult tv shows like Friends, Big Bang Theory and also recently Stranger Things. There are also some pretty complex Technic models of racing cars clearly aimed at older people, or at least inclusive of older people.

But it doesn’t have to be necessarily licencing - who wouldn’t buy (with the proper advertising and marketing, of course, somethin Lego does extremely well), a big box of old fashioned knights, with weapons, food, animals etc, and a lots of Steck, all in one box? Adults could easily pay 300 - 400 euro for a set like that if made well and marketed well, cause they are already paying that much, regularly, for adult-themed lego sets.
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2019, 13:59:57 »
I suspect - well, actually, I know - that there are people who are buying 'Friends/Big Bang Theory/Simpsons' Lego sets and that will be the only Lego set they ever buy.

Lego are definitely better at pushing their demographic upwards - my 12 year old nephew still requests the architecture sets, for example and he doesn't play with Playmobil anymore. But I wonder if the 'puzzle' element of it comes into it.

I'd struggle more to think of who would drop 300-400 euros on a big Playmobil set. Even for the small number of collectors - why would you buy such a set? I have two Castles 3666. I paid £50 for one on ebay and £10 (!) for another one on Gumtree. For now, I think the second hand market kills off re-issues of the really big sets because they can't really compete.

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 11:45:19 »
I suspect - well, actually, I know - that there are people who are buying 'Friends/Big Bang Theory/Simpsons' Lego sets and that will be the only Lego set they ever buy.

Lego are definitely better at pushing their demographic upwards - my 12 year old nephew still requests the architecture sets, for example and he doesn't play with Playmobil anymore. But I wonder if the 'puzzle' element of it comes into it.

I'd struggle more to think of who would drop 300-400 euros on a big Playmobil set. Even for the small number of collectors - why would you buy such a set? I have two Castles 3666. I paid £50 for one on ebay and £10 (!) for another one on Gumtree. For now, I think the second hand market kills off re-issues of the really big sets because they can't really compete.

Hah.

You wouldn’t believe what people would buy if you make it shiny enough, attractive enough and ‘exclusive’ enough.

Many of us here have lots of Steck, we’ve been collecting a long time, we know the market and know where to get what for cheap.

But new, potential adult collectors? If given the choice between trawling ebay for second hand stuff or being offered new, off the machines Steck easily online or in shops, albeit for a higher price?

I think most people underestimate the potential for growth in that area.

(I have lots of Steck and I would still buy more ... because.)

And even if, as you say happens with Lego, they were one-off purchases spurred by nostalgia, or by the nice adverstising, it would still be more sales than what they have now. It could also be in some cases, one hopes, the start of a collecting addiction that would lead to more purchases.

The adult toy collecting business is huge. People drop 800 euro on Lego Millenium Falcons. They drop 250 - 300 euro on 12 inch action figures. Why wouldn’t they pay premium sums for Playmobil aimed specifically at them?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 11:56:56 by Bolingbroke »
"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 19:08:29 »
(I have lots of Steck and I would still buy more ... because.)

... because... THERE IS NEVER ENOUGH STECK! :)

The adult toy collecting business is huge. People drop 800 euro on Lego Millenium Falcons. They drop 250 - 300 euro on 12 inch action figures. Why wouldn’t they pay premium sums for Playmobil aimed specifically at them?

Are you nuts!? People giving them money?! And a bunch of foreign money too, surely. Not to be allowed.

I think even though what you said about buying steck second hand is true, I might be tempted for a shiny new set - though I guess not at such prices, unless it was something TRULY special (or the stupid balls cooperated)..

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 19:26:38 »
I saw someone selling a tailor shop in original box recently. I wondered why the klickys weren't included until I noticed the bright colour of the green and the newer tabs - it was the recent direct service re-release in an old box. They dropped the price later but why try for such an obvious deception?

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 20:34:11 »
I saw someone selling a tailor shop in original box recently. I wondered why the klickys weren't included until I noticed the bright colour of the green and the newer tabs - it was the recent direct service re-release in an old box. They dropped the price later but why try for such an obvious deception?

That is fraud, and the guy should be drawn and quartered, and fed to Xena's horse...

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2019, 10:37:58 »
It's not uncommon for sellers to offer DS re-released sets advertised under the set number of the original. So long as they make it clear what they are offering, it doesn't bother me. But there should be no deception involved, even if it us only PM fanatics who are likely to notice! I mean 'fanatic' as a compliment btw, Klickteryx!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2019, 11:45:44 »
It's not uncommon for sellers to offer DS re-released sets advertised under the set number of the original. So long as they make it clear what they are offering, it doesn't bother me. But there should be no deception involved, even if it us only PM fanatics who are likely to notice! I mean 'fanatic' as a compliment btw, Klickteryx!

Agree. If BOTH set numbers are mentioned, all is well.  Unlike some people, I don't think sellers are our daddy, they are not responsible for buyers being ignorant and/or lazy... As long as it is clear the reference for sale is the ds one. The rest.. it is the buyer's problem to research.

If only the old one ref is mentioned... then I believe it is fraud.

Offline PlaymoGuardian

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2021, 12:07:43 »
Well, as far as comparing lego and playmobil...playmobil is still at least producing sets in themes that adult collectors would like to purchase. Personally, I’m not a fan of Novelmore. Since beginning the collection process again, finding parts (especially traditional steck) has been very difficult, but at least playmobil appears to consistently put castle lines in and out of production. The lego group has failed the AFOL community for 10+ years. Only this year has there been a resurgence in legitimate sets like the new blacksmith (yes, another blacksmith how creative). The entire lego world has been literally crying out for a castle line for the longest time and lego could honestly care less. For the time being, I would still be much more worried as a fan of lego than a fan of playmobil. When I realized I wanted to return to my childhood, the question in my mind was lego or playmobil? This choice was easy because of secondary markets and a way for me to rebuild the collection that was completely lost (though it’s very difficult and expensive). There isn’t much of a secondary market for lego. eBay doesn’t exist for lego, rarely any old sets and when there are, they are way overpriced if complete at all. eBay is simply covered in lego knockoff brands which are truly poor quality most of the time. Brick link was once an option, but good luck piecing together a collection with the scant offerings of over priced vendors with limited stock these days. Playmobil is hit or miss on eBay, but you never know. The custom pieces work well and blend well with the playmobil world. Despite the flexiblility and seemingly endless creativity associated with lego, I figure, if I can get good enough learning to create art with playmobil (figures being less flexible, mobile<—-irony?) then that was a goal I wanted to put into play. I’m excited to learn from the master creators on this site, and honestly I’m overjoyed that I decided to go the playmobil route instead of lego. I understand the fear of what we love dying out as a brand, but in my mind playmobil is winning this battle when it comes to accommodating the interests of its adult collectors... despite consistently asking me how old the child is for all of my purchases ; ) ....