Author Topic: Did anybody notice? -- The second one.  (Read 3598 times)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
Did anybody notice? -- The second one.
« on: January 02, 2006, 17:15:22 »
Did anybody noticed that quite a lot of the klickies shown on photos provided by Playmobil (on boxes, dioramas) are left-handed?

I already noticed this some time ago, but being aware again by today after my shopping tour.

I was sitting on our living room floor together with my wife unpackaging the items I purchased this afternoon. We set up the figures, and I recognized that those figures that she set up are holding their items in the right hand (for sure: she is right-handed and would hold this item in this hand too). At the first sight this looks strange to me, because for me the figures would "look correct" if they hold the item in their left hand, like I'm used to do (because I'm left-handed and usually arange my klickies in this way too).  I would not go that far, that all klickies are left-handed (there are many evidences that not  :)), but the ratio as shown on the box figures is -- I think -- far higher than in real life. -- Maybe we find some volunteers to make a count on the current set boxes to detemine the ratio left- vs. right-handed klickies  ;D (because maybe my impression is wrong).

So what could the reason be? There are just a view people at Playmobil setting up the box dioramas and the ratio of them between left/right-handed persons is higher than normal by change? People setting up dioramas are normally left-handed? These are no left-handed klickies, the negative of the photo has just been reproduced flipped around?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 17:20:14 by Little Jo »

Offline Tim_w

• This and That
  • Playmo Addict
Re: Did anybody notice? -- The second one.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 17:37:48 »
Hello  Little Jo  :)

This is a very interesting post indeed and i will have to go and look at some of the boxes i have in my collection  :). As a rule when i set my klickies up for a picture i try and alternate between left and right to have a variation. However normally i set them up holding things in the right hand because i am right handed myself. What is interesting is that i just had a look at my Avatar who is standing on the desk next to me and its quite strange because he his holding his knife in his left hand  :). I think you have started something here, i am going to be looking at klickies more closley in future  :).

Kindest regards  Tim  :)9

(28/5/03/850)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 21:05:03 »
Research suggests a link between certain occupations and being lefthanded.  Two of these are creative artistic occupations (Leonardo da Vinci was lefthanded for example) and computing (at one time 60% of the people in my computer section were lefthanded).

Assuming the research is valid, the people setting up the dioramas fall into the creative class and as more likely to be lefthanded than righthanded.  Hence, they set up more figures reflecting what is the norm to them.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 22:49:49 »
All I can say is that you're extremely observant noticing all these little details in the photos, Jochen!
The theory about the majority of pics being set up by left-handed people is very interesting and seems the most likely reason behind it. :)

I think if I am setting up a photo where a klicky is holding a tool of some kind, then I would automatically place it in the right hand because I am right-handed myself. I will have to go back through some of my own photos and see if that is the case. ;)

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 05:01:03 »
Research suggests a link between certain occupations and being lefthanded.  Two of these are creative artistic occupations (Leonardo da Vinci was lefthanded for example) and computing (at one time 60% of the people in my computer section were lefthanded).

Yes, I've read this somewhere too, but the second occupation is new two me. Never heard this before, but at least is true for myself  ;D

Assuming the research is valid, the people setting up the dioramas fall into the creative class and as more likely to be lefthanded than righthanded.  Hence, they set up more figures reflecting what is the norm to them.

Sounds very reasonable.

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 05:49:43 »
All I can say is that you're extremely observant noticing all these little details in the photos, Jochen!

*Hehe*  ;D Yes, I'm still on holiday and have time to look closely and spend thoughts on different things  ;)

Offline mi-chi

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2006, 18:29:21 »
Did anybody noticed that quite a lot of the klickies shown on photos provided by Playmobil (on boxes, dioramas) are left-handed?
This I did - and you know what - for some reason most of my soldiers and knights are left handed, too.  ;D I think it is because I prefer them to wear the shield on the right hand leaving the sword to the left. It looks more appealing to me (people can be very strange - don't you think?)
Cheers
Michael

Offline Morgan

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 23:03:38 »
I have noticed this on the new Romans. Most of the private or lower ranking Romans have a new belt, and in it they wear their sword on their right side. It is then easy to grab with their left hand = left hended. But I thought it had something to do with their shields, maybe their shields were easier to hold with right hand.

Since I am right handed myself, all my kickies hold their swords, guns and stuff in right hand  :)