Author Topic: SYSTEM-X DESIGNER WANTED  (Read 40029 times)

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
SYSTEM-X DESIGNER WANTED
« on: September 16, 2010, 18:47:54 »
in another topic - http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=4623.0 - i confessed my "love" for system-x.
i am sorry all you "hard" collectors but it is true - i prefer system-x to steck.
when indianna geniously proposed plugs for the system-x holes the last disadvantage was "killed".

i have 2 reasons that made me create this new thread:
i wanted to "tease" the steck lovers  :P and i wanted to present you a klickywelt's fantastic member -  :wow:sir pleamo :wow: - that posted some very nice pictures of system-x possibilities - http://www.klickywelt.de/hafenbaumeister-von-sir-pleamo-t42268.html
he works with a google software called sketchup (with a free and a pro version).

when i asked him if i could post his pictures here his reply couldn't be more encouraging:

"okay, I will tell you what's about with these pictures, first sure you can use them, but there is much more potential in them. These pictures are only examples for my project in this thread. I have made (and still making) 3D-Models of the System X building parts so that you can construct your own buildings on computer. I have chosen to use the free software "SketchUp 7" so that everyone could use my building parts to build up their own stuff.
In this sense you surely can use my pictures (but you are right in mentioning the source, that's me and this thread). But I can send you much more pics and/or with higher resolutions or perspectives, or...
If you want the 3D-files of the parts as a zip-file, please send me your email. You then can use them (after downloading and installing SketchUp by google) freely to produce all buildings you ever want.
I would be very happy to share this project with a huge number of Playmo-Fans so feel free to tell all your friends about this thread. The number of modeled parts grows nearly every day, so there will be updates time by time. If you like the project, visit this thread some times to see what's new. If you send me your email, I will support you regularely with new parts when they are finished.
If you have questions or any idea, let it me know!"

so, we have someone who can teach us how to do all the "modelling" software, who has a lot of system-x models filed and, last but not least, who is a great guy.
so thank you  :love:halvar :love:, and for all of you - maybe it's time to start system-x designing.  ;)
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: SYSTEM-X DESIGNER WANTED
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 18:55:15 »
Hi Cachalote! those 3 pics of the renders, are the same in the link you posted? I'm not a klickywelt member so I can't see it!
Still don't understand a lot about this steck and other systems but I want to learn more!!!  :wave:
Thanx
Gaston
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 19:07:55 »
This is a really impressive piece of work cachalotte and many congratulations to sir pleamo!!!

I had a similar design in mind for a fortress island.

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 00:37:27 »
:) a lot can be acomplished with system-x.
here´s another example from  :wow: tilmobil  :wow: from klickywelt  :love: - http://www.klickywelt.de/neue-burg-4865-details%2C-kompatibilitaet%2C-usw-t42305.html.
 :) i am just posting one picture because this is an image-open link and there a lot of others accessible in the link.

this new 4865 castle is compatible with the previous sytem-x walls (although "taller" it has the walk-arounds at the same level).
and it has various solutions for the 45 degress angles...  ;)

p.s. yes tonguello, those are the pictures sir pleamo published in klickywelt (the first ones of course)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 00:43:27 »
Very cool!!!! thanx Cachalote.
People seems to like better the steck system. I'm no expert but system x looks really cool to me too!
gaston
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 11:24:26 »
to be fair, this use of the skethcup possibilities was started by  :) klickywelt's  :) sir george I  :) - http://www.klickywelt.de/hofarchitekt-von-sir-george-i-t41548.html.
using virtual steck parts (nobody is perfect) he can create whatever he wants.
here's 2 pictures of the program's "ambience" and of an "inside" scene.
thank you  :wow: sir george I  :wow: .

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 14:58:31 »
These are wonderful!  Thanks, cachalote! 

Whether using SystemX or Steck, I love, love, love the idea of using Google's SketchUp as a CAD tool for Playmobil.  I downloaded the free version a while back, but I never made much progress in figuring out how to set up a library of images as well as the other skills needed to get good results.  The examples you have shown, Pedro, give me renewed enthusiasm for such a project, especially if we can find a way to share libraries and help each other learn how to use SketchUp effectively.

Any thoughts about how all of us who are interested in using SketchUp can find a way to work together on learning SketchUp, developing image libraries, etc.?

Sounds like a good project for the upcoming cold winter months.   :)
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 15:01:58 »
I love it!  :love:
I wish I had more time to devote on learning the software...  ::)

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 16:44:34 »
:wave: hello indianna,
i don't know if you are also a klickywelt's member.
if you are you just have to "speak" with sir george I - who has an extensive 3d steck database - or with his "pupil" sir pleamo - who is doing the same with system-x.
they are both fluent in english and they are both very willing to help with what is needed to learn how to work with sketchup and to build 3d database.
sir pleamo in his answer to me has even offered to make available all his 3d work and sir george I (i used the google translator) also seems to be doing the same.
 :) good luck indianna and i hope that you will be able to show us you work with virtual-system-x - much more interesting than steck as i am sure you agree.

Offline Emma.J

• Playmo Addict
    • Emma.J Blog page
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 17:35:26 »
Hi Cachalote,
thanks for this wonderfull information.

.......Whether using SystemX or Steck, I love, love, love the idea of using Google's SketchUp as a CAD tool for Playmobil.  I downloaded the free version a while back, but I never made much progress in figuring out how to set up a library of images as well as the other skills needed to get good results.  The examples you have shown, Pedro, give me renewed enthusiasm for such a project, especially if we can find a way to share libraries and help each other learn how to use SketchUp effectively.

Any thoughts about how all of us who are interested in using SketchUp can find a way to work together on learning SketchUp, developing image libraries, etc.?

Sounds like a good project for the upcoming cold winter months.   :)

I think I was discusing this with Indianna a while back and I also downloaded sketch up to have a play with. So far I've only had the time to do very basic shapes but this work is amazing. Could you please pass on our thanks for all the hard work these guys have done and their very kind offer to share a libraries.

I shall try to contact them with the hope of borrowing their work.

:thanks:
Improvise, adapt, overcome ..... If all else fails FAKE IT!