Author Topic: eBay item 120211757719 - Playmobil Knockoff  (Read 7367 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
eBay item 120211757719 - Playmobil Knockoff
« on: January 19, 2008, 08:34:52 »

The figure & horse above are up for auction on eBay right now from Mexico.

Clearly a Playmobil copy, and the seller does say it's Playmobil-like but not Playmobil, and he shows an excellent set of photographs of the disassembled pieces.

I'm not accusing the seller of anything dodgy, but I'd love to know more about this figure and where it comes from.

I'm tempted to bid for it just to see it up close.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: eBay item 120211757719 - Playmobil Knockoff
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 11:21:59 »
Very unusual! Never seen one like this before.

The torso shape is quite effective. Makes the knight look more broad-shouldered than your average klicky. But it does also have the side-effect of giving him a feminine waistline. ;D

I do wonder how solid that chrome coating is, though, and whether it would withstand a child's rough play.

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 11:40:55 »
clearly - a lot of the items are Playmobil-like in appearance. But none the less; just not quite the real thing. I wonder if Geobra is aware of this product line  ???

It is interesting looking though!

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 23:29:57 »

How about an eBay link, Martin?

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 11:25:44 »

I found it by putting the item number into the eBay search box. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120211757719

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 13:47:56 »

Thanks, Sylvia ...

Verrrry interesting!

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 15:06:47 »
That's an interesting figure,

Not an exact copy of a Playmobil figure apart from the face, but a few of the accessories are. I would say that the sword, shield and lance are copies of the Playmobil ones and the sword belt is very similar in looks. It's hard to tell from the images if the sword belt clips onto the figure and can be removed to make the chest armour fit so snug around the waist.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 15:47:57 »
I, too, had noticed this auction and was also intrigued by this figure.  I wrote to the seller (through ebay) to ask what company makes the figure and this is the portion of his reply that answers that question:

"I'm listing some Knights may be you will be interested in take a look to my auctions, about the Company that make this toys, I really don't know, they come in transparent sealed bags, and figures have no marks with company name or even country of origin, I think they are Made in Mexico. "

So, unfortunately, even the seller dosen't know who makes them.   :( 

The seller was very courteous and prompt with his replies and he (I assume it is a man, but maybe not?) has a few more auctions now, including both gold and silver versions of this figure.  Here is a link to one of the auctions:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120217519538&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

- Anne
U.S.A.      Massachusetts

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 15:54:52 »
That's very interesting.

I wrote to a buyer, who had indicated they were less than overjoyed with the item (presumable they hadn't looked very clearly at the auction) and offered to but it off them, but they'd already binned it! They said it was shoddy and fell to biots very quickly.

I'd like to start a museum of Not-Playmobil, and these figures would be perfect to start it off.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 16:15:40 »
That's very interesting.

I wrote to a buyer, who had indicated they were less than overjoyed with the item (presumable they hadn't looked very clearly at the auction) and offered to but it off them, but they'd already binned it! They said it was shoddy and fell to biots very quickly.

The seller certainly shows the figures to their absolute best advantage with beautiful photos and a very professional-looking auction layout - it is disappointing to find out that they deserved to go immediately into the garbage bin.   :'(

I'd like to start a museum of Not-Playmobil, and these figures would be perfect to start it off.

Go for it, Martin!  Such a museum would be a great thing!  Here in Boston (actually in the nearby town of Dedham) there is a wonderful "Museum of Bad Art" and I think you could start a "Museum of Bad Playmo" with these figures!   ;D

See MOBA here: http://www.museumofbadart.org/
U.S.A.      Massachusetts