Author Topic: Adding a chat link to auctions  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
Adding a chat link to auctions
« on: October 26, 2015, 18:44:21 »
Over the years I have been buying a lot of playmo on auction. It is one of the main ways I add to our collection. I typically really like "huge lot" type of listings. One thing that I have always wanted though is a way to communicate with other buyers or prospective buyers.

I always wanted a chat group to go with an auction.

A person could post their opinions, observations, experiences, and any other info they see fit.

I think it would allow customers to talk to each other...good bad and ugly
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Adding a chat link to auctions
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 21:05:35 »
Do Playmobil run auctions?   ???
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 07:37:53 »
I think Rasputin is referring to eBay auctions (and similar?).

I like best the auctions which no-one else seems to have noticed. I don't really want to talk to fellow bidders. I'm even a bit careful about the 'Ask the seller a question' option, because the seller can post the question and their answer (I sometimes offer to arrange a courier when a seller wants 'Collection in Person' only. I don't want to give the idea to other potential buyers!.) Yes eBay seems very impersonal and anonymous at times, but it exists for people to make money and other people to get bargains, if possible. There is an element of competition between bidders, inevitably.

I am more than happy to discuss eBay tactics in general in a forum like this one, to help other people increase their chances of finding things they want and winning them; things like sniping tools, offering courier collection, search sophistications, etc.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant, Rasputin?
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 07:46:50 »
I think Rasputin is referring to eBay auctions (and similar?).

Yes, that was what I would have expected apart from the topic it's in.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Klickteryx

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 07:54:18 »
The only advantage I could see would be if potential bidders agreed to share a lot. Not only could you split a larger lot with someone who wanted stuff you didn't, you could avoid bidding against each other and thereby win the auction at a lower bid.

Online Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 04:47:50 »
That's exactly why ebay doesn't allow intrabidder communication: it makes collusion much easier, and collusion means that sale prices go down. It's in ebay's interest to keep sale prices as high as possible.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: