Author Topic: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?  (Read 22603 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: What theme(s) or set(s) do you like the least?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2010, 17:47:51 »
Just to say we hate something is not productive, but to say what turns us off to a new theme introduction would be.

You are right of course Bill!

I apologise for using the word hate in the first place  :-[ , since I was the first to express it... Please forgive me but this is the way I feel towards circus in general... Playmobil or real life... it feels like there is so much saddness and sorrow to cover up with all the acts of entertainment presented there...

As I also wrote before, I really like the police and fire rescue themes, mainly because its a dream of mine that I never was able to fulfill... (always wanted to be a cop  ;) ) But as for the rest of the city themes, it feels like I am seeing things that I see in my ordinary everyday life... buildings, hospitals (my mother is a retired MD and used to work at a hospital for 32 years...), cars etc etc... I feel the need to get away from all that and this is the reason why Medieval and Fantasy themes are more appealing to me. Mainly I feel the way Gaston does:

in my case I find more interesting the "historical sets" if you will. It is more appealing to me the representation of past eras than the actual one

And I do like and buy some sets from themes that are not appealing to me!  P) :fireman: :chef: :gent: :sherlock: :builder: :arrr: :cowboy: :indian: :egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight:

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2010, 18:29:50 »
I thought no-one would reply to this thread as apparently this subject was some sort of taboo :P Thanks everyone for sharing your likings, and also for explaining why - the reasons seem to be related to background, culture, perceptions of reality or just personality differences, which is normal I guess :)

I'm actually surprised at how many people don't like the ghost pirates and the fantasy themes - I love those two ;D (and I haven't even got the ghost pirate sets yet!) Better for me though, less competition when it comes to pictures/future photo stories, which is the main purpose of my collecting ;D

Seems that the knights, pirates and western (among other) themes have been the most popular throught the years. I don't love the western and the pirate themes but I do have some sets. :cowboy: :arrr:

I might step on a few toes with the first two, but my least favorite right now would have to be ghost pirates, dragon knights, and that ridiculous jungle/freaky monster klicky/giant iguana theme.

OMG that freaky giant iguana / jungle-like theme seems to have no fans at all :o
I don't wonder why though, I find it absolutely pointless boring :-X
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 18:57:43 by Luis »
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wesley Myers

• Playmo Master
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2010, 18:37:37 »
First off, I'm not going to be politically correct.  That's a lie and a shade of grey and I will not be part of that - it is deceit and as such it is lying.

I don't know if I really dislike any specific theme Playmobil has.  There are a few sets that I would not have bought myself (for myself) - but have found out that children love them and some I have gotten myself and realised they are actually really cool (ie hippy backpacker 3844) http://www.collectobil.com/catalogue/items/3844.htm  Actually, all the outdoor sets were of no interest to me (except the motorcycles) but like all Playmobil it does grow on you.

Hmm, now that I've thought more about it, the "barbarian" pink "knights" they made.  Not because of the theme, but because of the use of that stupid colour for them!  That ruined a perfectly good concept.  Not to mention the stupid accessories for them like the mantlet with a face (?!) and the sad excuse for a seige tower (4437 and 4439).

One thing I dislike all the more than the rest is the use of the guns and other modern weapons with the police sets (which is why I will never buy a police set).  There is no need for that.  Heck, even Lego does not do that.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2010, 18:58:11 »

I apologise for using the word hate in the first place  :-[ , since I was the first to express it... Please forgive me but this is the way I feel towards circus in general... Playmobil or real life... it feels like there is so much saddness and sorrow to cover up with all the acts of entertainment presented there...

I totally agree with you on the circus theme, Panos!  I DONOT go to any circus just because of the sad expressions on the animals faces, so I will not endorse any circus related subjects! The police theme has started to use guns which reflects on the changes of the world directly. I don't like violence, but to ignore it, is irresponsible. Children in this country whose parents are police officers see their parents getting dressed in their uniforms, & witness them strapping on their gunbelts to go to work, sometimes with 3 pistols. Two crossdraw 40, 45, or 9mm caliber pistols on their gunbelts, & 1 ankle concealed weapon.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2010, 19:04:19 »

I totally agree with you on the circus theme, Panos!  I DONOT go to any circus just because of the sad expressions on the animals faces, so I will not endorse any circus related subjects! The police theme has started to use guns which reflects on the changes of the world directly. I don't like violence, but to ignore it, is irresponsible. Children in this country whose parents are police officers see their parents getting dressed in their uniforms, & witness them strapping on their gunbelts to go to work, sometimes with 3 pistols. Two crossdraw 40, 45, or 9mm caliber pistols on their gunbelts, & 1 ankle concealed weapon.

I quite like the circus theme :-[

But thats only because I have never had experience of one with animals (I didn't know they still even existed) :o

Damo :)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #25 on: December 28, 2010, 19:05:38 »

The police theme has started to use guns which reflects on the changes of the world directly. I don't like violence, but to ignore it, is irresponsible. Children in this country whose parents are police officers see their parents getting dressed in their uniforms, & witness them strapping on their gunbelts to go to work, sometimes with 3 pistols. Two crossdraw 40, 45, or 9mm caliber pistols on their gunbelts, & 1 ankle concealed weapon.

I can understand the effect this has in a child's psyche... very sad indeed... Actually, I am not sure how to feel towards the introduction of sidearms and shotguns in the police theme... but we also see so many weapons in the medieval series too... morningstars, double axes, maces... But I guess children are not exposed directly to the effects such a weapon has to a human being...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2010, 19:07:04 »
I quite like the circus theme :-[

But thats only because I have never had experience of one with animals (I didn't know they still even existed) :o

You should see circuses that come in our city from the easter Balkans... and the amount of animals they have...  :(

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2010, 19:08:28 »
I can understand the effect this has in a child's psyche... very sad indeed... Actually, I am not sure how to feel towards the introduction of sidearms and shotguns in the police theme... but we also see so many weapons in the medieval series too... morningstars, double axes, maces... But I guess children are not exposed directly to the effects such a weapon has to a human being...

But didn't the police theme always have guns?
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2010, 19:09:26 »

I don't know how many police forces use weapons, but in the UK they dont use any form of wepons. just a good old baton ;)

We do have some police that use rifles but have never seen actually seen any of these people.

It is always scary to see people with wepons, like when we went to Spain this year, the passport man at the airport had a pistol on him. And believe me I was pretty scared actually :-[

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2010, 19:10:33 »
You should see circuses that come in our city from the easter Balkans... and the amount of animals they have...  :(

I hope I never come across anything like this :'( it is one thing to know about it, and another to actually witness it :'(

Damo