Author Topic: 5203 and 5204 Fi?ures now at Toys R Us in the USA!  (Read 24226 times)

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
Re: 5203 and 5204 Fi?ures now at Toys R Us in the USA!
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2011, 11:03:04 »
Some good questions. I felt like the skier with no skis was a total rip-off. Completely ridiculous, absolutely useless. Zorro without the horse is ok, and understandable as the horse would make it not much of a surprise figure. ;)

But I hadn't noticed the cook had no shoes! Maybe he not only makes pizza, but also stomps grapes in the wine vat? :P

The pizza guy comes slip on shoes.

Yep, the cook has slip on shoes.
It is very common in chefs and pastry chefs to use this sort of slip on shoes. Mostly they are made of rubber. There is a famous trade mark that I can't recall. They are supposed to be very comfortable to be standing for hours.
I think the decision to make the barefotted clicky with slip on shoes was based on this.

This kind.  :) 

...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2011, 11:44:49 »
lol!
This thread is really funny! :lol:

I think it's clever of them to make these packs ... I wouldn't like to buy blind though, but for children it's cool, and for collectors .. well, it looks like they become children again, trying to feel what's inside, and so on ;)

I'd love to have the thief girl though ... But won't worry about it. As Tahra said, the concept of worldwide in Geobra can be a little tricky, and it's not very likely that I'll see them like so as to choose in Brasil. (On the other hand, it'll be good to make selling return to the shop ... Not possible to buy blindly like that in the internet!)

Fun, lot of fun! 8-)
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2011, 12:27:42 »
Yes, this is a fun thread!

Those shoes look like Crocs to me, the chefs' shoes in the photo.

I think that the winter woman is a hiker/walker with her walking sticks, not a skier. That is why there are no skis. Hiking seems to be one of the national sports in Austria where she would be right at home.

It seems to me that a store would sell more of these if they cut open the top, and sealed it with a piece of tape and the number of the fi?ure on the tape. That way the customer would know what they were getting. Since everyone likes different ones, most would sell in the long run. And the store could hold back a few of the most popular ones so no one bought all of them. Or sell some in complete sets only with the last two free. In the US, 12 for 30.USD would be a deal because you could get all 12 and not too many spares you don't want.

Any other ideas for selling more of these? Having fun with these fi?ures, Pgal
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2011, 23:11:16 »

It seems to me that a store would sell more of these if they cut open the top, and sealed it with a piece of tape and the number of the fi?ure on the tape. That way the customer would know what they were getting. Since everyone likes different ones, most would sell in the long run. And the store could hold back a few of the most popular ones so no one bought all of them. Or sell some in complete sets only with the last two free. In the US, 12 for 30.USD would be a deal because you could get all 12 and not too many spares you don't want.

It seems to me the whole grab-bag idea is designed to sell more already;  since you don't know what's inside, instead of buying a specific one, you have to buy several before you get the one you want (or in the case you want all of them, you'll have to buy dozens and end up with some multiples).  If we knew which ones they were, we'd end up just buying the ones we wanted, and the store would be left with a bunch of the less popular ones just warming the shelves.  Or worse yet, some ebay scalpers might scoop up all the most popular ones and auction them off for evil-ly high prices for all those who really want one and can find no other way because the shelves were cleared of the specific ones by scalpers.

I'm fine with getting touchy feely with the bags, though, plus it makes the hunt all the more fun.

But I DO LOVE the idea of PM selling a complete set, like in a gift-pack or something like that.  That would be awesome!  I'm certain those would sell!  At least to collectors.  But I see why they sell them individually, so that little kids can pick the ones they want, and parents can buy them at a more affordable pricepoint individually (instead of in one big pricey lot).

What would be cool though is if they sold theme-specific playsets designed to go with the figures.  For instance, across the different editions, there seems to be always a musician on both the male and female side.  So they could also sell a concert stage that you buy to go with the musicians as you collect them on the way.  That way it'd be more like a game, whre you buy the stage, and then eagerly try and collect all the musicians from each release so you can complete you rock concert stage. 

Or instead of a seperate them playset, each figure might come with part of a playset, and then when you finally collect all the figures from a specific theme, the parts combine together to form a completed playset!

but that would be a big headache for us if we had all but one piece which was hard to find and could only be found on evilbay.

Just some ideas.

Or better yet:  Playmobil should open up to taking direct orders on specific items without limits!  I swear they'd make a lot of money that way, AND it would double as effective market trend research, because PM would be able to see RIGHT AWAY which items are the most popular, and then gear their production and marketing to reflect the actual demands!
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2011, 23:47:54 »
those are cool pics, Pgal!

I haven't had time to buy more of those surprise packs - (darn I need more time for everything in my life >:( ) The day I was at the store they were about to close and the clerks wouldn't stop looking at me like I'm nuts - couldn't stop touching the bags to try to figure out what was inside - I got 5 of the ones I'm after :love: (can't believe i've been so good at not getting repeats <:> )
I will probably get the guitarrist / female rock singer repeated because her tattoos are really cool...

anyway, feeling what's inside the bag with my hands has been the most effective way to get what i want, it just may take longer (and a few weird stares from people around). It's fun! :D

PS: I have heard reviews about deffective pieces in these bags...I hope not to get one myself :omg:
On a seconf thought, they'd probably make a nice addition to my one of a kind collection... ;D

PS2: those rubber shoes are horrible  ???

Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2011, 04:10:27 »
Interesting about the crocs, Gaston... I never saw a chef wearing that here. Here, there are usually regulations requiring completely closed, non-slip shoes for anyone working in a restaurant kitchen. We mostly see crocs on hospital staff. So that's why that choice of shoes for a chef seemed odd to me. Interesting to know!
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2011, 09:38:53 »
I LOVE Crocs! :love: :love: :love:

Quite a lot of Chefs here wear Crocs (or at least they do where I work)

Damo :)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #117 on: November 29, 2011, 04:17:22 »
I love them too! They're very comfortable.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.