Author Topic: 5460+5461 Figures 5  (Read 11240 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
5460+5461 Figures 5
« on: August 10, 2013, 19:32:34 »
Surprise Figures - Series 5

A note. I've been told I am sometimes harsh on my comments. Keep in mind I LOVE playmobil. Generally, it's GREAT. Without a doubt and by FAR, the GREATEST toy on the Universe. And also keep in mind that I've gotten a box of each boys and girls since the first series - meaning, despite all the "problems" I point out, they are VERY MUCH WORTH IT. We ALL know playmobil rules, so I suppose I tend to point out the problems. There are only so many ways of saying AWESOME, right? ;)

The figures were (as usual, and for some odd reason) very much anticipated.

We spent the first night opening the boys. Amazingly, there were TWELVE cowboys. TWELVE. And no samurai or mechanic. Gods. I mean... why not twelve knights?

That made me dread opening the girls. Which we did the following night... Those came even..

Warning - Begin OT WHINE: Then again, maybe I should have dreaded it. First pack was a tennis player... The frame was not well assembled, and while messing with it, I did find a way to turn my thumb nail inside out... tearing it from the finger.. End OT WHINE!

So, we opened all the boys and girls, and came up with these extras:

The shield, blonde hair and dark head were especially nice. Note that we also got an extra of THAT hair. No comment.

Good for the gun, cause I think we'll be missing some, and that feather is gorgeous.. And the audiobook... well, more on that later.

I wonder what to do with a bunch of left spurs. Uhm. A store?

So... individual details to follow.. MIA ones when I get them.... And pics of the kept ones later.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: 5460+5461 Figures 5
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 19:37:03 »
Boys - 5460

1. Samurai

One of the missing figures from the box :(
Will update this later.

2. Ninja

The dark head has some (unexplainable) appeal. Of course, this kinda highlights the lousy printing :(

He is FULL of weapons. The "hair piece" (not hair, really) is also very good. A great figure, in all.

Unfortunately, the shoulder things don't fit with the neckpiece, or I'm hapless. We also don't much like the torso for a ninja - aren't they supposed to be dark and discreet? Same for the belt, makes him look too.. bulky. So, changes will be required.

3. Miner

A wonderful idea... and beautifully executed.

I have no idea why he has that ax thing - in my mind (not that I know anything about the subject, mind you), miners should have a pickaxe.

Oh, and THAT hair. HAS to go.

4. Mechanic

The other missing figure from the box :(
Will update this later.

5. Police

Nothing special about him. Nice, but common in the "normal" range.

And, again, THAT hair. Our uniform is different, so a change of hat is needed.

6. Cowboy

Well, nothing really against him, but we groaned whenever we found YET another one.

The guy seemed perfectly ordinary - we were even thinking that we'd keep none, but then we saw his torso.. well... A shame it's obscured... would love a clear image of it!

Note the caveman hair!

The boots have a nice design, covered by the spurs...

So, ours will have no spurs - considering he's not likely to have a horse anyways..

7. Viking

:love:

I think that green torso is DEFINETELY NOT very viking like. The shield is very beatiful (and there was an extra!).

I know the hair is NOT new, but it looks AWESOME with the beard! Already used the combination on another klicky! Brilliant!

I wanted to do changes - the torso (though not new) has some nice designs, covered by the belt and neckpiece...

Took me a while to figure it out... To remove the neckpiece, the arms had to go.. and then the belt... complicated. So, mostly just changed the torso...

8. Weirdo

Well... the body printing is nice. I have no idea what's he supposed to be. Seems we always get a weirdo in every series.

The black swimming cap already has a place to go... we have been waiting for it for a long time.

And the arms have nice designs that are covered by the shoulder things.

Parts, but can't decide what for..

9. Astronaut

I actually thought he was a deep sea diver, but with that rocket.. I need to compare him to the yellow one. I THINK that's what ours will be... after all, he has NOTHING in common with the other astronauts, so we'd need to keep more. Also, that diver was lonely.

The suit doesn't close "per se" - it relies on the "glass" and the ankle rubberbands to keep it shut. Not a problem, and it works quite well, but I worry that the rubberbands will not last thirty years...

The hair is really nice.. A bit of a waste stuffed there. Ours will change.

10. Knight

:love: Probably my favorite of the boys. And following Erik's example, I intend to get a few together.

The colors work really well. I also love the roman neckpiece.

The sword is a bit big to fit the belt, but that may be a personal preference.

The torso has a nice design, covered by the belt.. but if you want them to have a sword, can't really think of an option.

Ours will change.. I'm not overly fond of those spiked arms.. or the helmet - because it almost completely hides the klicky's face - stupid reason, I know, but I can't help it :-[

11. Robot

The big disappointment. Not an alien, as we thought, but some sort of robot, with THAT hair. Gods.

Again, the black head is very interesting.

The colors do work well together (though I think the shoulder things would be better in black).

The neckpiece doesn't work too well, since it's made (I think) to go on the chest, and not the back.

Still, an interesting figure, for an alien or space robot, I suppose. No final decision there yet. He'll be on hold till I get to the aliens again.

12. Snowboarder

Another interesting figure - and the board is HUGE.

A cute kid, but those pants ruin the effect. Who goes to the slopes with a full diaper?! Easy to change, though the colors are a bit challenging.

Ours will, of course, change - "space legs" for him!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 19:41:34 »
Girls - 5461

1. Green Princess

Nothing terribly interesting. ANOTHER large skirt woman. She is pretty, though...

Except for the extra veil, the others came out of the pack already pinned to the hair with the crown.

The bouquet is also quite pretty.

The nice white skirt may be a "waste" under there.. as the less common green shoes (shame they're high heeled). Ours will probably have those changed.

2. Indian Woman With Doll

The woman is BEAUTIFUL. Gorgeous :love: :love:

The chosen accessory is another matter - I mean... a grown woman with a doll.. uhm. Wait. Maybe she's a COLLECTOR. Yes, that must be it. I do think an indian bucket would look better, IMO.

The small feather for the hair is a brilliant touch, and looks very good.

Anyways, we love her, and will try to make some different ones as well. The Gods know the tribes need more women, right?

3. India Woman With Basket

I was overly interested in that basket the first time I saw the figures. It's gorgeous, well executed, and we could use a bunch!

I think the "fruit" for the basket would work better in a round shape, instead of rectangular.. can only think of the "basket potatoes" right now, not sure if there are other parts..

The lady is nice and colorful (and nice feet!) but unfortunately, not extremely useful to have many of. Anyway, definetely an interesting figure, that will stand out in any scene.

4. Pink Lady

This lady seems to be a mix of the ancient and new.. That hair is amazing, and she has a pleasing combination of colors (and flat feet!).

However, that part for the hat, which I think it's ancient, was not made for these, and does not hang properly.. Either that or I just couldn't figure it out, and I did go about the position of the hat AND that cloth for, I think, all possible combinations!

As you can see, it sticks to the hat instead of hanging, defying gravity.. or maybe it's windy.

5. Tennis player

Apart from my initial mishap, I quite like her.

The color could be a better match... And of course, she COULD (and should!) have brought the tennis balls. It is strange how wildly the quantity of the accessories varies.. I mean, compare this one or the mermaid to the green lady, or the ninja...

We figured we can't keep her as a tennis player, since she'd render all the others completely "obsolete", with her new short skirt and all. Even so.. well.... plans exist.

6. Violinist

We loved her on sight too. The torso is ABSOLUTELY gorgeous.

The violin in black is... original. It IS a shame about that thing in the skirt that prevents the feet from slipping out easily.

If that is a common red, that skirt could be in high demand, if we manage to change the feet.

7. Skater

I loved her too, basically for the black color. And even better, those wrist pieces :love: :love: :love:  I wish we could get those as parts! They're gorgeous.

I think the helmet could be in better colors, but it is not really unmatching.. maybe just a personal preference for darker color. And.. a juice packet? Have no idea why.

Ours will have a black helmet, most likely... and no wrist things!

8. Archer

My favorite from the series, as soon as I saw them :love: :love: Well... apart from the hair. Though I really liked it in the first pictures of the Aeon Flux figure, I strongly dislike it "in the plastic", as in real life. Though variety is good.

The hair IS easily fixed. Well, almost. Using that amazing peg on the cape does pose a lot of limitations as to which hairtypes can be used, as I've been finding out. Repeatedly. Ah, forgot to mention - that cape.. great color! Especially when in an elvish mood, and in need of greens.

Still didn't figure what to do with them. Yes, them. Repeats wanted. Though I'm not sure I need them as archers, having those skinny ones already...

9. Woman With Audiobook

Never much noticed before actually seeing her, but that hair.. GODS. It is probably THE hair this time (past figure series always shined in that department, and this one makes series 5 no exception).

The audiobook... That thing REALLY looks like a book, so we called it that... but it was disappointing. As you can see, instead of the expected "earbuds" - we thought it would be the same as the doc's stethoscopes, going into the "beard slots", it's just sort of a necklace. Meh. We tried to fix it in a head with "earrings slot" - kinda works better, but not perfect. I suppose with long hair, kinda makes do...

And a shot of the back of that hair, in all its glory :love:

10. Mermaid

We were happy with another mermaid, even if AGAIN in blue.. with some specks. We thought the blue was much lighter than it actually is. A shame they can't be more original in "tail color". Green. Yellow.

White. The black was an exception, the rest are blue and pink, I think...

The hair is a very nice color... definetely good for fairies and also for a more colorful recent klicky!

Another figure quite "light" in accessories.

11. Hairdresser

Another interesting idea... I wonder how people remember to do an hairdresser?

She's nice, with a great (and useful) torso.

The accessories are nice too, though nothing really uncommon, I suppose.

We have the old hair salon, so... and we have decided the hairdresser will be a male....

12. Yellow Fairy

ANOTHER fairy, in yellow. Not that she's not gorgeous, just not original.

The hair is a very interesting and uncommon darker shade of yellow. Besides the mold itself being stunning, that color adds even more value - variety! The arms have nice printing too.

As happened before, the wings are folded in the frame in ALL packs. Darn idea. They always need a week or so under weights to resume a proper shape. Annoying. I suppose there MUST be a point to it, since it happens consistently since the fist fairy pack.

The neckpiece is great, and extremely useful, especially in that color.. though not for her - it covers her beautiful torso too much.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 19:43:01 »
To finish, here's the ones we kept...

The males..

The first knight was changed to be the lord. Gave him grey hair, and changed the helmet, arms, neckpiece and sword. Finally, decided to have HIM show the torso's design, and gave him an ax on the cape, instead of a swordbelt. His men, were simplified some... Hope I can get a couple more.

The viking, given the complications, ended up just changing his torso, for a plain dark brown one. And turned that belt thing around - I find it too bulky in front, and prefer it the other way. He also got a longsword - since it fits in that scabbard ;)

The ninja was made all in black, with the dark blue hood (basically because we don't have that head in black - duh). I think it works a lot better like this.

The cowboy just lost the spurs.

We decided to give the deep sea diver a chinese head. And yes, he'll be a diver, in a somewhat different suit.

The hairdresser became a male, and we found a use for that elvis-hair that came with the big robot!

The cop just changed to a beret.. ah, and THAT hair, of course.

The snowboarder got new legs - a MUST, he's too old for diapers. The grey is not an exact match, but we liked it.

The miners only changed hairs. I wanted a different neckpiece for one of them (in black) but we don't have it, so.. will replace it if we get one.

The females...

The archer... Well, I didn't want them as archers, given the speedo ones... So, decided to change them some, and gave them spears. I'll try to add a couple more to them. Now I want that torso in a male version. Also kept one almost original, to join the amazons.

The indian is original.

The pink lady is original.

The green lady changed the skirt and shoes (not really noticeable if she has the skirt).

The India woman is also remained original. I really need more of those baskets.

The fairy lost the neckpiece, fully exposing that gorgeous torso. Forgot her staff on the pic :-[

The mermaid is original.

The audiobook woman changed the hair.

The tennis player stopped being such - just another "recent woman".

Same for the audiobook woman - just changed the hair.

The violinist is original.

The skater lost the wrist things and changed the helmet, to a black one.

And.. the end. (yes, I know - I blab)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2013, 19:48:13 »
Great review, tahra! I can't wait to get some of these. I know what you mean about those larger swords not fitting in the belts very well. :-\
~Pynedor~

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 20:36:46 »
Nice review, tahra.  It's confirmed that I want the girl with the ipad and I'll also buy the mechanic.

BTW, was there a plumber in one of the earlier series?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 15:37:37 »
I know what you mean about those larger swords not fitting in the belts very well. :-\

Ah, so it is NOT just me!

Nice review, tahra.  It's confirmed that I want the girl with the ipad and I'll also buy the mechanic.

BTW, was there a plumber in one of the earlier series?

I still think that's an audiobook.  :P

A plumber, as a surprise figure, no.. there was a special, I think.

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 16:03:14 »
Lovely review! This is a great way to really see the figures up close. I'd love to find some indian ladies, a few baskets and the hair from the audio-book girl.

As you can see, it sticks to the hat instead of hanging, defying gravity.. or maybe it's windy.

This made me laugh out loud  :lol:

PS: I enjoy the blabbing.

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 16:28:21 »
Great review!    Glad there was no picture of your busted fingernail  ;)

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 16:31:49 »
too be honest. the ninja has a lot of issues..  a completely dark figure with brights hands :lol.. the clip on the belt is blue but the belt is black.. lol