Author Topic: Hair Updo/update  (Read 8887 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Hair Updo/update
« on: October 22, 2019, 18:03:29 »
I have been trying to keep up-to-date a chart of all PM hair styles and colours. Here is the latest version, as a pdf document, with pictures of each style.

There is an extract from the chart below. It should be self-explanatory. The 'suggested names' are where PlaymoDB has no name for the style yet (and Geobra name is also unknown). Where the part number for a hair piece is known, it is given in a green tinted cell.

The chart includes 124 Playmobil hair styles;

•   ‘Adult’ styles
        o   38 interchangeable types on which a hat can be fitted (i.e. with an indentation around the top of the hair)
        o   59 interchangeable no-hat types
        o   4 hair extensions (3 which fit non-hat hair, 1 which fits hat hair)
    •   Hair types which can be exchanged only with others in the same group:
        o   2 alien hair and grasshopper
        o   3 Super4 bald-head types
    •   Non-interchangeable hairstyles (you would have to swap the whole head)
        o   5 ‘Super4’ hairs
        o   9 children (non-removable hair)
        o   3 babies
        o   1 child-sized robot
    •   (I haven’t included rabbit heads)

Mozart (due November) will have a new hairstyle (non-hat periwig), the Heidi sets due in January 2020 will have two new children styles (Heidi and Clara). Several other new types will come with Scooby-Doo, Back to the Future and Everdreamerz sets, but these will be for the next update.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 07:31:08 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Hair Updo/update
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 18:04:28 »
Pictures of the newest styles (these and several other styles don’t have PlaymoDB names yet)

New in second half of 2018

Rounded helmet, triangular eyeholes (July 1st 2018)

Lucky, loose long hair, low fringe (September 30th 2018)

New in first half of 2019

Tuffnut, braids joined in front (February 1st)

Long loose hair over left shoulder (no hat) (February 1st)

Child, twin pigtails (February 1st)

Grasshopper (February 1st)

Long loose hair over left shoulder (with hat) (light yellow: March 1st)  (blue: 15th May)

Rex Dasher (June 30th)

asymmetrical fringe, french plait at back, with hat (July 1st)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 18:41:15 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 18:05:07 »
Colours

There are about 550 different style/colour combinations for hair.

73 of these (at least) are child/baby heads which differ not only in hair style and hair colour, but also in skintone, mouth shape, presence of freckles, etc.

In many cases, colour descriptions differ depending on who is describing it. Some describe orange hair as dark orange, some describe magenta or burgundy hair as red, and so on. Some very dark brown hairs exist and these often look black in photos.

I have covered as many hair colours in each style as I could find, but I have not included Quick Figures, Planeta figures, etc. so there may be other colours out there. (I am fairly confident I have all styles covered, if not all colours).

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2019, 18:05:50 »
In assembling previous versions of this chart, I relied heavily on (i.e. plagiarised) PlaymoDB (of course) as well as Julianne’s hair charts on Klickywelt. Julianne’s last update was in July 2017, so I researched for new hairs and new colours myself. To do this I listed (here) 756 klickies issued after June 2018 (including 67 due for issue in December 2019 or January 2020) and identified the style and colour of their hair.

Can you help?

Not including sets which are due to be issued in December 2019 or January 2020, there are 57 klickies where I could not decide what hair they have (style, colour or both), usually because the set pictures weren’t good enough, often when the klicky is shown wearing a helmet!

If you have any of the sets (link below) which contain these klickies, perhaps you could let me know what the hair is like (e.g. post a picture, front and back of head ideally!). If there is more than one klicky in the set, perhaps you could give the details for all the klickies (I cannot give lists of klickies for which information is needed, partly because the part numbers for many of them are unknown).

35 sets: the hairstyle or hair colour of one or more klickies in these sets is unknown (57 klickies, including all 4 in set 9503).

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 18:27:36 by GrahamB »

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 16:00:58 »
Once again, phenomenal work, Graham! I'll work on getting this lined up with PlaymoDB. I bet I can make a version with links - at least with the data I have now, which is of course only a subset of what's here.

As I'm looking at it, I'm seeing that you've given them an order, or divided by page, based on  by shape: hat ring, then ordered by length; no hat ring, then ordered by length; child/baby; non-standard attachment (e.g. Super 4/alien/add-on). That's what I would do, pretty much! I'm thinking, a more strict length declination would be useful: short (above neckline), medium (above bottom of shoulder joint) and long. So with a hairstyle in your hand, you'll know where to start looking, and be able to ignore the others to narrow down the search.

Colours, too: the subtle variations are a big complication! Photos are super helpful here, so I'm glad to see you've used them liberally. A line drawing in an instructions PDF (or worse yet, a low-res scan of paper) doesn't show the difference between, e.g., "brown" and "red-brown" very well. I know I've got a lot of corrections to make here, and often I don't specify when I can't see well enough to make a decision.

The 35 sets that you've listed with klickies that don't have described hair, I can decrease a bit. (Some have no instructions on file despite PROBABLY having them, like 9503, so we'd need to get those to proceed, for sure.) I'll at least get cropped-PDF images for the klickies without, and describe those that are obvious. I haven't seen any "official" images for klickies since last spring, sadly.

PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 17:16:28 »
Thanks Heather. It would be great to link this with playmoDB!

I will look again at the style groupings and try to be stricter on grouping styles with similar lengths. I think symmetry is also a useful feature to use when grouping or defining styles. Pictures are very helpful, but sometimes word descriptions are useful too.

I took your colour descriptions as correct, but 'brown' is indeed tricky, with red-brown, light brown and dark brown as possibilities. Hair colour is not always easy to determine from set pictures or even pdfs, but styles can be tricky too (e.g. classic male/ classic male updated can be especially hard to tell apart in those semi-profile views geobra use in their instruction sheets).

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 20:28:36 »
Awesome work, GrahamB! Thank you for sharing! :wow:

•   Non-interchangeable hairstyles (you would have to swap the whole head)
        o   5 ‘Super4’ hairs

Shouldn't the Super4 aliens be included here?

I believe these should not all be together, as they are not interchangeable - there 3 types:
- normal - sir Gareth, and the short super 4 alien
- Gene, tall Super4 alien (I think) - same as Ruby, I believe
- and the starved fairies, like Twinkle and those other 2 you list...

IMO, of course.

Offline PMatt

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 07:28:11 »
What an impressive cataloguing effort!  :clap:  I'll check the list to see if there's any klickies I can help you out with – thanks for sharing!

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2019, 14:06:17 »
Some of the 35 are actually done, possibly updated since Graham did his overview. Have a look at the "klicky details" page of a klicky you have that might fit in here, to see if it has hair style and colour. Although even if so, better photos are ALWAYS welcome!

If I may, I'd add the hockey players (not the goalies) to the request list: there's a great number of them only pictured in their helmets, even on the instructions.
PlaymoDB Parts Containing "hockey player"
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 17:59:52 »
Awesome work, GrahamB! Thank you for sharing! :wow:

Shouldn't the Super4 aliens be included here?

I believe these should not all be together, as they are not interchangeable - there 3 types:
- normal - sir Gareth, and the short super 4 alien
- Gene, tall Super4 alien (I think) - same as Ruby, I believe
- and the starved fairies, like Twinkle and those other 2 you list...

IMO, of course.

Thanks, Tahra. Yes, there are two types of Sykronians (in set 9411) which I have omitted. I think I have included all the other Super4 klickies- I have ignored the small long-eared aliens in 6687 and 9006, the Gonk in 9004, the Colossus in 6694 and the Ogre in 9409 because they aren't any of them really klickies. I'm not sure what you meant by 'short' and 'tall' Super4 aliens.

There are 5 Super4 types in the list. AFAIK their heads are interchangeable, but I may be wrong about that (I will have to find mine and pull off their heads...). Obviously their hair is not interchangeable, like children and baby klickies.

BTW at the moment, the link to Super4 theme doesn't work on PlaymoDB so here is a link with all the Super4 sets listed Super4 sets