Author Topic: 4440 knights' take along castle - can anyone provide a review?  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
I can't bring myself to buy it, but am curious if anyone has it and has a good review?

These take-alongs sounded really great at first.  It just seems the relatively unimpressive carrying case eats 50% of the cost.  The treasure chests (knight's treasure chest and pirate's treasure chest) seemed to go a little farther for the money.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 22:06:48 by Martin Milner »

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Does anyone have a knight's take along castle for review?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 01:31:45 »
Today was the last day for the $20 Target coupon for it and I went and looked again but couldn't bring myself to get it. The only thing I want out of it is the black unicorn helmet ornament. Heather still doesn't have a copy of the instructions at PlaymoDB for the part numbers. Maybe they will go on clearance cheap after Christmas.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:03:12 »
Today was the last day for the $20 Target coupon for it and I went and looked again but couldn't bring myself to get it. The only thing I want out of it is the black unicorn helmet ornament. Heather still doesn't have a copy of the instructions at PlaymoDB for the part numbers. Maybe they will go on clearance cheap after Christmas.

I like the figures and their shields, but yikes at $30, that breaks down to $7 / figure.  I keep psyching myself to buy it on impulse, but whenever I hold the box in my hand, even raw passion fails me.

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 03:06:35 »
Looks like Martin reviewed this in October for Playmoboard.

Quote from: Martin Milner
oder zum mitnehmen Ritter Burg!

I like the castle, and two or even three could be clipped together to make a bigger castle if required. There's a break-away portion as shown, and the drawbridge mechanism with weights is ingenious, to fit the confined space available.

The figures are OK, none have any specific heraldry printed on them so they could join another group of knights with a change of shield. I'm not keen on the wolf shields on the castle itself, but they could be removed or covered over. I prefer my castles un-branded.

The flags have stickers, not printing, which is odd considering most if not all other flags I've seen are printed.

There are plenty of spare weapons, plus the catapault & missiles, so there is a whole siege possible with the pieces here, though with one attacker (with the yellow serpent shield) and three defenders it'll be a bit one-sided.

The ability to open the castle out and have one person sitting "inside" the castle give a lot of scope for play.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 11:22:01 by Martin Milner »

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:57:48 »
Today was the last day for the $20 Target coupon for it and I went and looked again but couldn't bring myself to get it.

Me too!!!

I cut my $10 off coupon went down to target and they had 3 in stock took it off the shelf, put it in my cart and 2 minutes later, put it back on the shelf - and I collect castles!!!

It just didn't look right even compared to the klunky (as opposed to klicky) system-x castles.  In my mind I couldn't justify the space the box would take up verus the contents.

Offline sbblabotw

• Mistress of PlaymoDB
  • Playmo Addict
    • PlaymoDB ... the UNOFFICIAL online database for Playmobil® toys
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 23:59:39 »
Heather still doesn't have a copy of the instructions at PlaymoDB for the part numbers.

Do so!  (Thanks, Martin.)

4440 - Ritterburg zum Mitnehmen

Most of the pictures are there, too, but not all. Coming soon.

(I need to change my sig to "Specializing in Off-topic and Self-serving Posts." :) )
PlaymoDB.org has catalogued over FIFTY-FIVE THOUSAND parts in more than 6100 sets. Come and visit to find any set or part numbers you need to know!