Author Topic: Castles  (Read 1440 times)

Offline Donmobil

• Playmo Fanatic
Castles
« on: January 09, 2014, 07:49:45 »
I just ordered a Falcon Castle and soon I will be ordering the Lion castle.  Not having bought these before, are they made with steck or system x, or ?  And I assume the sets that expand these sets are nade from the same system ?

-- Donmobil

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: Castles
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:41 »
I think they are System WHY. That is the reason they were off my list.

I believe they can be expanded with their add ons, but don't allow for a "free construction" like Steck or system X (for those who can figure out system X, that is :-[ )

Offline kenc

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 15:42:58 »
The castles are a hybrid tab system / system-x, but the weak system-x.

There's the versatile system-x, with lots of useable parts like the school, hotel, church, hospital. And there is the weak system-x: castles with large prefab parts with lots of irregular forms. You can't do much with it: no roof extensions, no wall piling, no seperate battlements, etc. The towers are not system-x at all, except for the connectors to the walls. The square towers are made of a steck-like tab system. The round tower of the large castle is made of two clip system parts.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 16:21:38 »
I do wonder though, can it be put to greater use if you have one or two such castles and multible DS expansion sets? Or won't that work? wouldnt it be possible to put two DS expansions into the castle, adding two more towers?

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 18:39:49 »
Perhaps you'll find some answers here: http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=5897.0

Good luck and have fun with your new sets  :)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 00:09:53 »
Like Ken says, they're System-X (98%). I like the shape of the Falcon Castle, it reminds me of a castle in my local city.
Compared with the previous (first) System-X castles (which I skipped from buying), I like the Lion and Falcon castles more from an esthetical viewpoint. They are indeed made up of large parts with none or few possibilities to build something differently out of them (or just reshape them), but when adding  a few of the DS Add On's you can extend them quite reasonably.
For example I've added extra towers and wallparts to the Falcon Castle, which gives it a long and rectangular shape. For my purposes - I'm using it as a 17th-18th century harbour-fortress- that works out quite fine; the gate-section is oriented inland with the long side protecting the harbour from the sea. And so I can use my much more versatile Steck-castles for other purposes.

Both castles are now being discontinued, so there is a good chance they'll be replaced by new castles in the 2nd half of the year. No clue what those will be like, but if the designers go further down Fantasy-lane (alĂ  Asia-Dragon theme), it probably won't be anything more usefull then the present ones...

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 09:48:25 »
Did anyone ever review the Lion castle though?

And how well can these castles be packed away?

I might just try and get a lion castle for Prince Edward if its not too difficult to pack up.