Author Topic: playkingdoms' roman(ish) armies  (Read 5830 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
playkingdoms' roman(ish) armies
« on: November 07, 2013, 20:34:49 »
Well, first, this is (obviously) not historically accurate...

The romans were ALWAYS among our favorites, ever since that first long skirted one :love:  We always wished for an alternative, maybe the way AIRGAM did it, so they could actually ride..

Ages later, playmobil sorted that...

I still have doubts about officers and company. Right now, I have smaller.. centuries (? are they centuries?) of 10 soldiers that only have an officer. Larger ones have also the signifier and the horn guy (technical term! ;) ) I wish I

could get my hand on some of those proper... roman-horn-thingamajig. Don't remember who makes them, and probably too expensive anyways, even if for sale... Then again, I think Crassus asked for both...

Recently I took pics of my legions (legion? AGH.) As they stand now. Like I said, still not sure about officers and such.

And have a couple more (as in 3 actually in progress, another still in "thinking stage") in the works, so it could change.

Right now, a lot of officers and company (company is the signifier and trumpeter) have no shields. I THINK maybe they should. Also, they are not in uniform.. it allows for a bit more variety (and sometimes I have no parts for 2 more :-[ )

(anyone read this far?)

So, I took a photo of each group, and then details of officer & co. and the soldiers (all properly detwinned - unless I missed someone!).

First, the group based on the first special. MAYBE I'll change some heads. I'm quite sure not all are named. We'll see. The soldiers are original, just added the shield.

After much messing with the original second special, it was decided they'd move to cavalry, and the shields should go to a more... "greenish" group. Since I realized the potential of those shorts (many came with the naked torsos I actively hunted), figured it would be a good match.. I quite like the result, actually.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 13:54:18 by tahra »

Offline DrDalek6

• Playmo Master
    • BTCV Mini Carbon Army
Re: playkingdoms' roman(ish) armies
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 21:33:41 »
Ah Romans I've only got the one from the Mystery series but, I'd veyr much like to get at least a few more troops in the future  your guys look good so far particularly liking the guy with the horn and the signal bearer with the first group, those green soliders arerather striking look forward to seeing more  :roman:.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 22:56:01 »
(...) look forward to seeing more  :roman:.

Wish granted  ;D

Based on the common legionaire, also available in add-ons...

Another one based on available soldiers... Love those sleeves, but not available as add ons anymore :(  Had to replace helmets - I don't find those pointy ones very.. romanish..

This one is also based on existing klickys - but not from add-ons, unfortunately.

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 19:32:34 »
I have smaller.. centuries (? are they centuries?) of 10 soldiers that only have an officer.

One "centuria" was theoretically composed of 80 men, commanded by a centurion.
Theoretically 6 centuriae formed a "cohors". And usually 10 cohortes made a "legio"  (no, not Lego!  :no:), but that could differ also.

the horn guy (technical term! ;) )

cornificer

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 20:01:21 »
Where is the white wolf hat (and fur coat) from? Resin? Paint?

Cheers,
HDL

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 20:07:22 »
One "centuria" was theoretically composed of 80 men, commanded by a centurion.
Theoretically 6 centuriae formed a "cohors". And usually 10 cohortes made a "legio"  (no, not Lego!  :no:), but that could differ also.

Then these are Centuries  (playmosized) right? Although.. there's way more than 6 of them. I'll jump those and just make all of them a legion? (or legio - you cracked me up with the lego comment!)

cornificer

Thank you :)  I thought it was cornicen.. (and there's a.. bucinator.. or something like that, that Crassus asks for)

Where is the white wolf hat (and fur coat) from? Resin? Paint?

No, it's playmobil.. an old special, I think?

Offline hauden_lukas

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 20:23:12 »

No, it's playmobil.. an old special, I think?

True - 4569

Thanks!

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 15:16:31 »
Nice groups, tahra. They seem a bit small for you though! :lol:

And I agree, that white wolf hat and cloak are awesome.
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 16:20:16 »
Nice groups, tahra. They seem a bit small for you though! :lol:

Small? I don't think I can fit them all in a scene, after shelves.. :(

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 17:21:15 »
And this one came from the homemade cape we wanted to keep. The klicky was changed (the longer hair helps to keep the cloak in place), and then the soldiers were made around him.... Always easier when working with red, since almost all the shields are red. I think they turned out ok, but I'm very easy to playmoplease.

Finally, my female century. Here shown with their "high commander" too, the golden officer... (male high command still in the works..)