Author Topic: 4866 New castle!!!  (Read 28083 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: 4866 New castle!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 17:28:56 »
hmmm  .. doesen't look that bad as i thought it would be .... wait to see it all set up  :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Not bad at all...I hope you won't be dissapointed at the end!

It's looking very well, but does seem rather complicated with so many different shaped pieces.  ???
I should think there will be a need to keep referring to the instructions. (at least I certainly would  :lol: )
Thank you Panos for a great review   :clap:  look forward to seeing the completed castle

Glad you enjoy it Elaine!!! As for being complicated, it is not...especially since the box is divided in compartments...I only did two connection mistakes and they were easy to repair!

Great review Wolf Knight! :)
The castle is looking ok,
and I can see how some parts may be very useful... ;D

Cant wait till tomorrow's review Sir Wolf. :wave:

Very usefull indeed warrior!!

Based on the pictures and what you've written, it seems that even though this new building system is a sort of Steck and System-X hybrid, it doesn't look like it will work well with either.  In terms of stability and looks (no visible holes!), it appears to be an improvement on System-X, yet it does seem like there are a lot of very specialized parts that could be confusing, especially to children.  The one thing I do like about Steck and System-X is that there are just a few core flexible building parts.  I'm not seeing this with this new system.

Its true Justin! I think its easier to use system x pieces with this castle rather than steck... Stability has also improved as you've pointed but you'll see what happens next! Again, its easier than it seems and no great confusions were present! As for joining with other parts...experiments will tell after the weekend. ;)

Thank you so much for taking the time for such a detailed review. Your pictures and explenations are excellent!

It really does look very good but I am still slightly hesitant to buy it, as it does seem to have limitations in regards to being used with Steck.

Maybe not as many as it seems Gis... You can constructively play both as a kid and as an adult, and in my opinion these open spaces allow for more choise in playing...As for customising and joining...again...remains to be seen

Am really enjoying this review and look forward to the rest!

Great to know Linda!! More to come in a few moments...

Thanks for the review, Panos.
Now, I'm jealous and I'm gonna order all the new sets with figures. I won't buy any castle though I think they're both great, my son has 7 castles in his room already, and I cannot pretend to buy a new one for him...But the figures! I want a lot.
Please keep teasing us and show some close ups on the new weapons and helmets, at least just for meeeeeee! (Or I won't show you my Nürnberg shields!)
Thanks.
Arnaud.

I knew you'de be excited to see the armours and klickies Arnaud.... :D :D :D 7 castles is not much!!

Ok all, I have to leave the house for an hour or so! I'll give you the rest when I get back!!! ;)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 18:30:21 »
New and old system x wall!

This is the new system x wall of this castle! attachment 1

The walls are connected to each other with the yellow connectors and there is no in-between piece to connect them with red connectors. This makes the pieces more stable, small round connectors fit tighter than the red ones, with one another but still some problems remain, as we'll see later on...

Here is a comparisson between the new wall part and the older, broader wall piece of the Knights Empire Castle! attachment 1

you can see the difference between them a the sides...the new wall has only round slts for the yellow connector while the older had a rectangle where the red connector could be placed!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 18:37:13 »
A new design is this kind of wall! attachment 1

The three system x slits are actually a separate part embedded on the wall...they are nor seperate but it seems, once turned around, that there are clips holding the three slits piece on te wall piece.... attachments 1 & 2

These two pieces are actually acting as inbetween stabilisers for the other straight wall parts (previous attachment) and will show you int the next posts...

I have not attepted to pull the system x part off the wall to see what is underneath, maybe sometime later...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 18:52:30 »
Western wall!

This is what I mean about the above parts being an inbetween for the plain wall parts attachment 1

You'll see that the curved wall, later attached to the gate, and the middle part, have steck-like slits for their platforms, while the plain walls have system x slits for theirs! attachment 2

I really could not understand this as the steck slits allow the platforms to sit better on the wall, while the system x connectors place the patform in danger of falling off the wall....Maybe all these platforms could be placed on the walls with a steck-like system, as their instability reminds me of the platforms instability at the system x western forts...at least playmobil had solved that problem by introducing these connectors 30 20 4400 - Connecting plate for the platforms later on...but this is not the case here....

Nevertheless, this western side castle wall has a good stability as a whole... attachment 3

The walls are held together tightly, but the platforms can fall off with presure downwards while playing...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 18:58:21 »
Southeastern corner!!

This is again a good example of steck-like system stability!!! A piece of wall, connected with system-x connectors to a steck corner!

Here we have a strong and tight corner with its platform placed on it with a steck-like system!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2010, 19:00:18 »
Great review Wolf Knight,
I can hardly wait for the rest! ;D
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2010, 19:04:02 »
One side connected with system x again... attachment 1

and this whole side will be connected to the main gate with system x connectors!! attachment 2

so by now this is our progress ;) attachment 3

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2010, 19:09:06 »
The Gate!

this will actually be a very beautifull gate, with lots of new additions!!!

The main piece form the back attachment 1 only steck-like slits here!!!

Take note of the brown weel with small edges... you'll see what it is later!!!

Platforms are again sliding into place! attachment 2

and so are the side walls... attachment 3
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 19:53:45 by Wolf Knight »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2010, 19:18:45 »
This is what the gate looks like with all its main pieces in place from the back! The top platform for the drop gate is the same design...but notice an extra clip comming out of the platform...I have circled it in attachment 1
a little surprise for later...Nice touches of silver paint finish to give a feeling of metal!! I like that!! I can recall customisers do the same with weapons or cannons!!!

And a locking handle from the inside for extra resistance!!  :lol: :lol: Thats a nice touch!! attachment 2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 19:54:38 by Wolf Knight »

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2010, 19:37:03 »
Compairing this gate to the Knights Empire Castle gate! attachment 1

I would be very curious to see if the round tower in 4865 can be attached to the systex x holes on this gate...Maybe the result could be similar to the previous gate...

And as for the surprise: I have circled it on attachment 2 the extra clip holds a lever to keep the spikey brown weel in place..once lift up, the gate comes down in one motion!!! No repeated movement in lowering the gate!!!  ;)

And an overall view of the back to see these ladders in place, makes it easier for the klickies to go up to the platform and lower the gate...No such feature exists in the old gate... attachment 3