Author Topic: What Would You Like to See in a New Ship?  (Read 17009 times)

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
Re: What Would You Like to See in a New Ship?
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 04:59:50 »
Yes, a ship big enough for all this would be very expensive. But what if they had extentions? The basic set could have the bow and stern and enough in between to make it usable as is. But then you could buy one or two inserts for the middle to expand it, like putting leaves in a table. And then the below deck could be a series of extentions, too. One to go under just the bow and stern, and others to go under the extentions.

I had the same wish in another thread, about treating the ships as you would the castles, where the base unit can be a stand-alone unit, but can also accept add-on parts to expand the hull.  I would even venture to say that it is completely possible to make each expansion hull unit floatable on it's own, that way the ship can be configured in multiple layouts (as a castle) yet retain it's floatability.

As far as the base ships as is, I've tried to incorporate my wants into my custom Black Pearl, with a third mast, more realistic stern and bow, 3 tiers of cloth sails that can furl and unfurl, ships bell, more cannons both on the gundeck AND the main deck.  When I'm finished with the pearl it will have 20 guns total without looking crowded at all.

I wish the ships came like this though.
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 05:28:35 »
It would cost at least 300 euro. I can't imagine parents queueing up to buy it for their children, this christmas. Maybe something for the Collectors' Club?
A bit on the steep side I should think for such a limited ship… If I had the money I might get one… Just seems fairly lightly armed for the money…
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline tonguello

• Playmo Master
    • tonguello
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 11:35:41 »
well..... so far I just opened my 3286 box and looked around..... all I can say until now is "JUST 2 CANNONS??? I know you guys want like 20 but at least 4 should come with the set. 2 for each side, don't you think? anyway.... I gues one can expand that but I have the feeling this would be as hard to get as steck..... right?  :lol: :lol:
...“But waiting can’t be bad, for plastic men, as I have learnt, are made to wait when playing's done”...
Check my blog: www.funfanphotoys.tumblr.com

Offline Andy R

• DPAAAGG.
  • x
  • Playmo Addict
  • I come here for peace and quiet.
    • http://www.survival101.wetpaint.com
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 16:11:24 »
The guns themselves are easy to get- It’s the mounting them that’s a *****.
If I’m jealous, you did SOMETHING right. Keep it up. :D
I Support Operation Anime Storm..

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 17:39:06 »
The guns themselves are easy to get- It’s the mounting them that’s a *****.

mounting them?  You mean below deck?  In their stock positions?  why is it difficult to mount them?  Not enough space for adult-sized hands to fit through the hatches?

I dunno, I have large hands (but slender), and have no prob gettin in there to mount the guns.

well..... so far I just opened my 3286 box and looked around..... all I can say until now is "JUST 2 CANNONS??? I know you guys want like 20 but at least 4 should come with the set. 2 for each side, don't you think? anyway.... I gues one can expand that but I have the feeling this would be as hard to get as steck..... right?

I agree, I was much disappointed the first time I discovered the 3286 only comes with 2 cannons.  Just to buy the additional six cannons runs about US$30.  Seems a bit much.  Considering I am now sporting 20 cannons brings my armament costs up to....OMG I can't believe I've spent an additional US$90 on this ship!  I've purchased parts for my ship little by little, so never noticed ow much it adds up til now! Yikes!  Tme to start resin casting again, maybe save some money for multiple copies of the same part.

And on the subject of expanding but still remaining floatable, the Matchbox Pirate ship sort of does this (simplified, but same idea):  each component floats on its own, and can pass for it's own playset individually, but can be combined in different ways to form a bigger ship that also floats:

p.s. I want that Octopus in the pic.  I wish Playmobil would come out with a much bigger Octopus/Squid that actually has articulated tentacles and can still float.

p.p.s.  Has anyone purchased the 2-ghost pirates blister card that comes with a row boat and a mini version of the normal playmo octopus?  (US Toys R Us).  I've been staring at it, but not sure if I should buy it.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 18:00:00 by BlackPearl2006 »

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2010, 17:53:49 »
Yes, a ship big enough for all this would be very expensive. But what if they had extentions? The basic set could have the bow and stern and enough in between to make it usable as is. But then you could buy one or two inserts for the middle to expand it, like putting leaves in a table. And then the below deck could be a series of extentions, too. One to go under just the bow and stern, and others to go under the extentions.

I think that is a brilliant solution! :)
I would certainly like to see it! :yup:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2010, 17:56:57 »

That would certainly be an innovation!!!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2010, 18:38:54 »
It would cost at least 300 euro. I can't imagine parents queueing up to buy it for their children, this christmas. Maybe something for the Collectors' Club?

It could always be an expensive limited edition for serious collectors like LEGO does with the STAR WARS series.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Bolingbroke

• Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2010, 18:39:57 »
It could always be an expensive limited edition for serious collectors like LEGO does with the STAR WARS series.

Yes, that would be cool.

"Company, villanous company, hath been the spoil of me."

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2010, 18:58:20 »
Here is my crude mock-up of how the ship could be expandable.  It would feature a base set consisting of a bow, a stern, and one mid-section piece, forming a tri-mast ship.

The middle piece can be expanded by adding additional mid-section hull pieces.

Additionally, the ship can also be expanded by additional deck levels, allowing multi-decked ships.

Different configurations can be accomplished by adding extra topmasts, spritsail masts, etc....

I want it!