Author Topic: Hello from The Netherlands  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
Hello from The Netherlands
« on: May 18, 2010, 21:36:16 »
Hello all,

Where to start. I have been reading a good many things on the site already and the more I read the more involved I wanted to become with the wonderful community you have!

I have been enjoying Playmobil since the 70's but had a big break when I went to Highschool (Dutch system 12-18 Year olds)

However at some point me and my gf were really bored with studying for exams and decided to go to the attic! We found Ministeck and had some fun with that. The next time we were bored with school work we went up to the attic again and found her (and her siblings) old playmobil, We slowly started to arrange some stuff and it became a project that went on for a while until we had a decent display. Next time we were in the city we couln't resist walking into the toy store...and buy something.

This was all back in 1992 or so and we slowly started buying more things and over the next year set up a ~16 m^2 diorama on her parents attic even borrowing some stuff from several classmates! They looked at us funny when we asked but they had some sort of understanding as well and were happy to oblidge :-)

18 years later we are happily married and have two wonderful kids and still very much in enjoy Playmobil. Ever since we took the diorama at her parents place appart we have been wanting to make a big Playmobil Zoo. But first we were students and had a minimum of funds so basically just bought the specials and any sets we felt we REALLY needed. then we got jobs and kids and a house but all our Playmo was in the attic where were planning on starting our project. However recently (after visiting Playmobil Planet) my wife admitted on not being enthusiastic about the project because of the cramped space.

So now we are working on making our guest room Playmo friendly and will be setting up shop there. So maybe some day our Zoo will actually be finished :-)

Since then I have also been more active on the internet when it comes to Playmobil. Including buying stuff as well as just surfing and reading. When stumbling on this forum I felt a warm welcome feeling. I read and read some more and decided that joining was really the only option!!

The Zoo project is something that will keep us busy for the coming years, but then again we have only been envisioning it for the last 16 or so, so whats another couple more. I'll be posting pics and stuff but it will be slow going so bear with us.

For now, keep on smiling!!

-Gis
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 08:44:19 by Gis »

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
Re: Hello from The Netherlands
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 22:15:38 »
Welcome from the South Eastern USA, Gis :wave:! So it's true that Playmobil is better than the dating service match.com :lol:! It's great to have you with us!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 22:20:12 »
Hiya Gis!
Nice to have you with us. :wave:

Wow!
That's a great history,
If only my friend was that enthusiastic about them... even half that enthusiastic... ::)

Cant wait to see the photos of your Zoo when you are finished! (I wish you the best of luck! ;) )
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 00:36:05 »
Hello Gis and welcome from the Great Pacific Northwest! That is a wonderful history you have and you are fortunate that your wife is also interested in Playmobil, we have several zoo and animal enthusiasts here (be sure to check out Tim's 'Animobil.com' site). Look forward to hearing of your progress and seeing you around the forum, glad to have you with us.  :wave: :wave:

Gepetto

Offline Lindama

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 00:48:12 »
Welcome Gis! Sounds like you will fit right in here. Everyone is lovely and so passionate about Playmobil.

One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other.
    Jane Austen, Emma

Linda

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 04:40:01 »
Welcome Gis!!! From Greece!!! You are in the right place!!! Wow what a history!!! Two people bonding closer with playmobil!!!!
Maybe you could show up pictures of a diorama??? Looking forward seeing your work!!!!  :wave: :wave: :wave:

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 04:44:01 »
Welcome from Northern California!   :wave:
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:59 »

Hello and welcome from the Scottish Highlands! :wave:

So glad that you have decided to join our growing community. :D

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 07:53:24 »
Welcome from the UK :wave:

I can't wait to see your zoo :)

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:37:35 »
* Gis grumbles smilingly

Thank you all for welcoming me. I am enjoying myself way to much here (as in kept reading until 4.am when I needed to be at work again at 8)

Also seeing everyones creations really makes me want start building as well, so much that I even started bidding on a 3666. All the love for steck some of you have shown really makes me want to get in on the action. Now I just need to make sure to sell it that a medieval theme really fits a Zoo *crosses fingers*

I am a collector at heart and you guys are helping the colector in my feel the need for more and more PM!

THANX, i think  :)