Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 9382 times)

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 11:06:58 »
Some items in the Roman theme have already been discontinued in mainland Europe, e.g. the big arena, and will be discontinued in the USA next year, so buy while you can!

Thanks for the information about the impending discontinuation of the Roman theme, playmofire and Justindo.   :(   I guess I will be placing an order after I get paid this Friday.   ;D  I only need the big arena (although I don't know where I will put it - it's HUGE!), the ship, and the chariot with the four white horses to complete my collection.  I'm not sure if I will collect enough soldiers to make an army, though.  Martin, your legion is truly awe-inspiring!   :wow:

Why is Playmobil discontinuing the Romans?  Are they not popular enough?  Not fair!  I just started!   >:(
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 12:28:18 »

Why is Playmobil discontinuing the Romans?  Are they not popular enough?  Not fair!  I just started!   >:(

First, that's that they do these days with the many themes, they have them for about 3 years and then withdraw them. The Knights theme doesn't quite count because it's not so historically accurate, and knights are always popular with boys, so that's been around since day 1.

Second, I think they slightly shot themselves in the foot. There were a couple of Roman Specials released (now available as a blister, and 25 of each incorporated in my army) before the main theme, and you can see videos armies of THOUSANDS of these figures being prepared and displayed in Germany (check out Youtube). If people already had all these figures, they may have not bought more when the main theme came out - even fanatics can only spend so much time & energy on the Romans.

I was fortunate not to see the Specials when they came out, and to restart my Playmobil fascination with a few Roman sets in August 2007, so I was able to base my army on the newer figures. The Specials are very nice, but the theme figures are closer to the real thing (see my photos comparing a figure to the original).

Third, while we adults love the Romans, maybe it didn't strike such a chord with children.  I'm guessing here, not being a father myself, but maybe sales were disappointing.

Offline Kelly

• Playmo Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 22:02:16 »
Hi from Mississippi,

I am really a modern theme collector, but buy everything that goes on sale at Target no matter what and therefore, have a little bit of just about everything.  As for the Romans and children, mine didn't care for them at all (we have the small arena, three charriots, and about 20 klickies).  I have a 10 year old boy who is currently too cool for Playmo and a four year old girl who likes the fairies and dollhouse themes, so maybe I don't have kids in the right age/gender range for this theme, but I think Martin is right . . . On the other hand, if the kids don't like them they go to 75% off and we get to buy them cheap.

Kelly

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 10:29:14 »
Hi KM :wave:

Welcome to PlaymoFriends! It's great to have you here.  :)

I even go out of my way to various Target stores in search of Target exclusives.  This has gotten bad.   :lol:

The sign of a true fan! ;D
I think many of us here have done or still do this sort of thing. I remember once making a list of all the toy stores between here and Aberdeen (over 100 miles away) and then planning a route so I could visit them all in one day to check for discontinued or HTF Playmobil sets. I did find one or two things that were worth buying, but I'm not sure that it justified the cost of the journey. Still, it was a lot of fun - a bit like going on a treasure hunt. ;D

Have fun with your klickies and do drop in here often to share pics with us or talk about your Playmo. :)

Offline BlueWizard

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 20:26:23 »
Greetings from up the coast... in Victoria, BC.  Yes, buy lots of Romans now before they're gone.  I always figure I have enough but then when they're gone I realize that I don't! Of course there will always be the next theme (and the next and...) that you will want to have lots of too!

David

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 01:02:17 »
Greetings from up the coast... in Victoria, BC.  Yes, buy lots of Romans now before they're gone.  I always figure I have enough but then when they're gone I realize that I don't! Of course there will always be the next theme (and the next and...) that you will want to have lots of too!
David

Oh so true  ;)! Then comes the over paying for eBay auctions to fill the gap  :-\!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Gepetto

• Playmo Master
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 04:19:39 »
That is why it is good to have a system! I only buy what they have in stock, when they run out I stop!  :eh?: :eh?:

Gepetto

Offline Klickus Mobilius

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 10:15:45 »
That is why it is good to have a system! I only buy what they have in stock, when they run out I stop!  :eh?: :eh?:

Gepetto

But...but...I've got to have my fix!  I can't go cold turkey!  I can't!   :help:
CARPE KLICKY!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 12:09:25 »
But...but...I've got to have my fix!  I can't go cold turkey!  I can't!   :help:

That means you'll sooner or later succomb to a worse addiction: Ebay !!!  >:D

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 13:21:42 »

I feel your pain, as the evidence is proven by my eBay feedback rating  :-[!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!