Author Topic: I'm new to this community!  (Read 10780 times)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
I'm new to this community!
« on: July 02, 2008, 20:01:38 »
Hello to all!
 I am new here, & am very impressed with the family of members! I started collecting Playmobil in 1997 when the new fire series first came out with the sets of 3880,3879,3881,3882,3883, etc. It all started so innocently enough when I purchased a lone 3882 firefighter :-\. The attention to detail caught my never ending devotion, the realism of these little items is fantastic, with the SCBA systems, hose systems that you can actually make pump water, the jaws of life rescue equipment, generous supply of tools  &, OK, I'll stop now because you all know what I mean :-[! Plus they are larger than LEGO, which is good in some ways, & bad in others! Bad being you need much more room to display them :love:. Most of my original collection had to be sold a few years ago, but I my obsession was rekindled later when I accidentally saw the next generation of the Fire Department series. Now to my demise, I started to collect the original items I had, plus added multiples of the newer fire department series! It seems I have too many fire department items to even count now along with all of the police, hospital, EMS, construction, harbour, airports, city life, rescue, grocery store, TV crews series, & so forth! It seems to be an addiction to having multiples of these items! Does anyone else suffer from this situation also :-[? To tell you how bad it is, I have 7 of 3880 fire engines, 2 of 5716 fire engines, 3 of 3879 ladder trucks, 3 of 3182 ladder trucks, hundreds of firefighters of all the newest designs since 1997, 7 of 3181 fire SUV, 7 of 3179 equipment trailers, 5 of 3177 chiefs cars, 2 of 3175 fire stations, plus station add on extensions, 2 of 3128 fire boats, 2 of 5721 fire raft sets, 2 of 5705 burning building sets,7 of 3180 haz mat crews, 2 of 4428 fire helicopter sea rescue, 2 of 5704 fire helicopter, 12 of 3176 fire command sets, 2 of 3525 early red ladder trucks, 4 3881 jump teams, 3 of 3789 white fire helicopters, 2 self made custom brush fire fighting units, 2 self made custom water tanker units, plus all of the many, many, many  DS orders to customise everything :P! It's hopeless, I'm ruined! I like to set up displays showing the items working, but it takes a very large space to accomplish this endeavour! Plus it is not received well to take up a whole room to do this by the home team, if you know what I mean!! My main interests are the modern themes only, & try hard to stay away from getting addicted to the knight, roman, pirate series, etc., because it could become a  very serious problem >:D!!! I look forward to communicating to everyone in the future, & hope to be of some assistance when ever I can. ;)
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline LHAAP

• Playmo Lover
Re: I'm new to this community!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 20:11:56 »
Hello Bill and welcome :wave:

That's a lot of vehicles you have there. You should be able to take care of the big fires in a Playmocity... My main themes are also the modern ones but of course I have also been temted by the other themes - and I have also bought some (many) :(

Where in the world are you from?

Have a nice day and once again welcome :confetti:

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 20:44:22 »
Welcome from the UK, Bill.  As you can see, my theme and yours are the same, although my brigade is not as big as yours.  Look forward to seeing your customs, please.

And now some bad news - at the end of this year or early next year (I think the former so they will catch the Christmas market), a new fire series will be introduced in Europe.  I'm guessing it will be based on the Unimog type 4046 construction truck chassis.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Timotheos

• Visitor
  • Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 22:51:34 »
Hi Bill welcome to the forum.

There's nothing wrong with specializing!

I focus on the Romans (and formerly the medievals).

I turned the finished half of my basement into a display room.

-Tim

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 01:07:36 »
Howdy Bill,

Welcome from Arizona.  We could use some of your fire equipment
to cool this place down a bit!

Warm regards, 8-)
Jimbo

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 02:44:30 »

Hello, Bill ...  :wave:

A BIG welcome to Playmofriends from the beautiful United States Virgin Islands.

All the best and I'm really looking forward to seeing your collection,
Richard

Offline Gustavo

• Playmo Master
  • At your service
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 03:00:50 »
To tell you how bad it is, I have 7 of 3880 fire engines, 2 of 5716 fire engines, 3 of 3879 ladder trucks, 3 of 3182 ladder trucks, hundreds of firefighters of all the newest designs since 1997, 7 of 3181 fire SUV, 7 of 3179 equipment trailers, 5 of 3177 chiefs cars, 2 of 3175 fire stations, plus station add on extensions, 2 of 3128 fire boats, 2 of 5721 fire raft sets, 2 of 5705 burning building sets,7 of 3180 haz mat crews, 2 of 4428 fire helicopter sea rescue, 2 of 5704 fire helicopter, 12 of 3176 fire command sets, 2 of 3525 early red ladder trucks, 4 3881 jump teams, 3 of 3789 white fire helicopters, 2 self made custom brush fire fighting units, 2 self made custom water tanker units, plus all of the many, many, many  DS orders to customise everything :P! It's hopeless, I'm ruined!

It's certainly better than Simcity ... ;)

Welcome to Playmofriends, Bill!

It's a bit like a family, all right. It's a very nice place to be. (I'm new here, too ... About four months.)

Do you take pictures of your displays? It'd be great to take a look :lens:

I'm Gustavo, 'live in Rio. People here call me Gus, which is how I sign ... :)

I hope you enjoy it here. Thanks for your introduction! It's a good beginning to talk about yourself ... One of the secrets of enjoying, I believe, is to keep talking ;D & showing what you like to do with your Playmos :yup:

See you around.

Gus
:blackhair:
Gus
:blackhair:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 03:06:00 »
Hello LHAAP,
I live in Greenville S.C. USA. Playmofire has informed me of my impending doom! If Playmobil comes out with a fresh Fire Department series, I'm in big trouble 8}!

Greetings Playmofire!
You've really got me worried now ;)! I may need to find a larger house, or come up with another storage plan :-\!

Hi Timtheos,
Thank you for your support! I only wish I had a basement or extra room to setup my collection like you, but I'm not rich or famous yet! I have a hard time storing 85% of my collection now, because I don't like to expose any of it to temperatures in excess of 100 degrees. I think high temperatures cause the white & grey parts to yellow! Also it may cause damage to decals whether they are installed or not installed :-\! Exposure to sunlight is a definite NO NO too, because it does the same damage!

Hey Jimbo!
Was sup from S.C.! I think we're gettin' in the same type of situation here as y'all are in Arizona! The drought here has gotten worse, and water restrictions are not too far away in the future if we don't get some relief! I like your smiley with the sunglasses, the image fits your location well :wow:!
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 06:55:31 »
Welcome Bill.

It sounds as if you have already found a like-minded spirit in Playmofire  ;)
Enjoy your stay here!

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 08:12:29 »

Hi Bill! :wave:

Welcome from Scotland where the grass is always green, no matter what season it is.
(There is at least one advantage to living in such a rainy climate! ;))

It's wonderful to have you here as a member.

Have fun! :)9