Author Topic: Hello!........Let us introduce!  (Read 5396 times)

Offline marco_snijder

• Playmo Pal
    • Sawyersplaymobil, the adventures of a little redcoat
Hello!........Let us introduce!
« on: December 06, 2007, 10:07:05 »
Hello Playmofriends!  :wave:

My name is Marco_snijder and live in Holland (northern part, Friesland)
I've been collecting and enjoying Playmobil ever since I could walk.... I got out all of my boxes for about a year ago and started customizing etc.....

Only later I found out about these great forums and sites on the internet!! I started at Playmoboard but after some things happened I switched to Laughinggiraffe and the German "Klickywelt" and "Customize-It" forums........ At the Bremen meet in November '07 Macgayver told me about Playmofriends and I immediately registered....

My favourite theme is that of Pirates and Navy.....I have about 150 klicky's I use and do a lot of soft-customs (switching bodyparts) besides that I paint and drill parts like guns and barrels and I made a sloop.

I've been active in making diorama's which I now use to shoot a long photostory for a race (PiratesRegatta) around the world at the German "Klickywelt" forum......

I try to keep my English version updated at: http://sawyersplaymobil@blogspot.com

I hope to share a lot of love and devotion to Playmobil here!

Until writings then Aye  ;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 10:18:59 by marco_snijder »
Batten down the hatches! Weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen!
The adventures of a little redcoat...READ THE STORY!!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: Hello!........Let us introduce!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:41:19 »

Hello, Marco ...  :wave:

My name is Marco_snijder and live in Holland (northern part, Friesland)

A BIG welcome from the warm and beautiful Island of St. Thomas in the United States Virgin Islands.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photo story!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 13:44:01 »
Hi Marco! :wave:

Welcome to PlaymoFriends. :D

The detail in your dioramas is fantastic. It must have taken a long time and loads of patience to create the jetties, buildings, and other scenery used in your story. :wow:

Looking forward to hearing more from you and following Sawyer's adventures! :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 18:59:45 »
Hello and welcome from the UK, Marco.  It's good to see you here.

Those pictures are superb - I especially like the first one and the fourth one. 

I've clicked on your web link, but it just takes me to the home page for some blogging software.  Has anyone one else found this?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 20:56:56 »

Hello, Gordon ...

I've clicked on your web link, but it just takes me to the home page for some blogging software.  Has anyone one else found this?

Try clicking HERE, Gordon! (It worked fine for Sylvia and me ... :)

YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED. IT'S WELL WORTH THE LOOK!

All the best,
Richard

Offline Jimbo

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 22:19:10 »
Hi Marco,
Welcome from Arizona.
You do great work :yup:
I'm a Navy man myself.
Best regards,
Jimbo

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:14:38 »
I've just been enjoying your tales of the "Piratesregatta" Marco, absolutely breathtaking!

I'm really impressed (and jealous) of what you have done with some clever customising, some splendid non-Playmobil additions (various buildings, backgrounds, furniture, and the ship's launch, that's not Playmobil is it?), good lighting and photography, and a clever and well told storyline.

Plus there's the little touches, like Kolonel Mayson's hat falling off as he jumps off the dock and swims towards HMS Renown.

Besides all that work, there's clearly been a lot of research done to get all the details right, or as right as I can tell. I'm a big fan of the Hornblower stories, and Nelsonic era naval warfare generally, and it all looks and feels right.

Once again, big thanks and a bow to Geobra for their Playmobil invention which makes all this possible. The 3" figures are just perfect for this sort of storytelling, being big enough to have individual personalities, and small enough to make a collection of hundreds of figures still reasonable on the pocket!

Offline marco_snijder

• Playmo Pal
    • Sawyersplaymobil, the adventures of a little redcoat
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 10:32:56 »
Thank you... thank you ALL, we all do great things with the little plastics!!!

Besides all that work, there's clearly been a lot of research done to get all the details right, or as right as I can tell. I'm a big fan of the Hornblower stories, and Nelsonic era naval warfare generally, and it all looks and feels right.

I to love Hornblower, Master and Commander and Pirates movies!!!

And as far as correctness goes: the race went through the channel of Suez!?!?!
It was not yet there in the end of the 18th century, but the race went through there so it is included into the story!!   :-\

I am not shure what Ship's launch is Martin..... :-[ ....oeps!

Batten down the hatches! Weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen!
The adventures of a little redcoat...READ THE STORY!!

Offline Little Jo

• Tool Master
  • Playmo Master
    • Little Jo's PlaymoWorld
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 17:34:16 »
Be welcome from the South of Germany  :wave:

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 08:41:41 »

I am not shure what Ship's launch is Martin..... :-[ ....oeps!

Ah, I was referring to the rowing boat with multiple sets of oars that was taking the Major across from the dock to the ship.

British Naval ships of the period carried several rowing boats of different lengths for various tasks, and I haven't got them all sorted out to my complete satisfaction, but there's the "Jolly Boat" which I think has just two pairs of oars, a "Gig", the "Captain's Barge", the "Cutter" and the "Launch". My understanding is this is the order of increasing size, with the launch actually having as many as 20 pairs of oars.

The cutter and launch probably had temporary masts that could be stepped (set up), and the smaller boats may have too.

All would be available as lifeboats in the event of the ship sinking, but also used to ferry people and provisions about, put out the anchors when required, and to pull the ship in a calm.

I'm excited about the new small boats Playmobil are bringing out, as these fill in some of the gaps.