Author Topic: DS 2020 (2021) Vikings: 9891 9892 9893  (Read 2650 times)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
DS 2020 (2021) Vikings: 9891 9892 9893
« on: October 24, 2020, 21:00:08 »
I thought it might be useful to share some pictures of the new Vikings. Mind you, there is nothing special about them – they consist entirely of known body parts, almost all in colours that are already available. New prints are minimal. The thing is, though, that some of these parts are quite hard to get, and all of them are quite nice. So these sets are a wonderful source of pretty customizing material! :)9

There is a pack of three (the "soldiers"), 9893, and another of one (the "commander"), 9892:

And this is what they look like unadorned:

I'm particularly fond of the dark green fellow on the right. The legs and body colour match the elusive US-exclusive Green Bull Knights (5861 - Knights Ruin) or the Aventura Barbarian, either of which is simply impossible to get for any mere mortal.

I was hoping that the cape of the pretty blue guy would match the bear hat of the crew of Drago's ship (9244) but, unfortunately, it doesn't. I need to keep looking for matching headgear.

The long fur cloak in 9892 in this colour only occurred in a special (4752 - Celtic Knight). In regular brown they are thirteen-a-dozen.

I also bought the Viking boat 9891, just to get the three figures that come with it:

As a ship crew, they are too few in number (the boat requires six rowers), but they make up for this by being quite pretty. Curiously, the three figures and their accessories are wrapped separately together, as if they should have been released as an army-building pack:

And this is what the contents of the bag looks like:

And the three figures seen from behind, with the body of the green guy of 9893 added for colour comparison:

The guy on the left is of the very dark blue that only recently has made a first appearance in Playmobil. Could it be that his fur gilet is a new part? At least, I haven't seen it before. It would fit a fat Klicky.

I'm most pleased with the body of the fat guy. In colour and print it exactly matches a regular body in my collection, which I bought as a part and haven't been able to trace back to a set. Does anybody know where this regular body occurs "in the wild"?

That's it for now. Best wishes :wave: StJohn

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
Re: DS 2020 (2021) Vikings: 9891 9892 9893
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 21:52:18 »
These guys would (will) make great Celts to beef up the opposition to the Romans!  :roman:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 22:06:18 »
The Green Bull Ruins are "elusive"? I lucked up and found them (darn near complete) at the local thrift!  :P Good review by the way. Kinda sad that they're a bit on the fantasy side, buuuut they still look cool!  :love: Just wish they kept the long tunics for the girls, but I'm sure some people somewhere would get in arms about it. ::)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 08:10:15 »
Great detail, StJohn. The frustrations of matching colours! And that isn't helped by changes in colour when new batches are manufactured (gold parts seem the worst for this).
The three Ship klickies might be bagged together because they were manufactured in a different factory (Malta would be most likely) from the other parts. But its lame there aren't enough people to row the darn thing!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Janilew

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 13:15:56 »
Great detail, StJohn. The frustrations of matching colours! And that isn't helped by changes in colour when new batches are manufactured (gold parts seem the worst for this).
The three Ship klickies might be bagged together because they were manufactured in a different factory (Malta would be most likely) from the other parts. But its lame there aren't enough people to row the darn thing!

Well the lack of people can easily be fixed with the extras sold. But yeah, kinda silly to package only 3 out of six people to row to the darn thing.  ::)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 15:50:35 »
Thank you for the review :)

Mind you, there is nothing special about them – they consist entirely of known body parts, almost all in colours that are already available. New prints are minimal.

Really? I find them almost all new, print colors wise...  and many new, period...

Quote from: StJohn
Could it be that his fur gilet is a new part

If you mean the fur coat, it's from the dragons... MINUS stupid copyright (still didn't figure out how to clean these, and worse, the sheepies)

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 19:20:39 »
Thank you for the feedback!  :hatoff:

The Green Bull Ruins are "elusive"?

Yes, they are – Not with you, perhaps, but 5861 was never released in Germany. Thanks for making the point, though: it drove me to eBay and conducted me to four more Green Barbarians. :love:

Just wish they kept the long tunics for the girls, but I'm sure some people somewhere would get in arms about it. ::)

Another good point! I failed to emphasize the presence of a girl, for the first time in a Viking army-building pack: so far the only female Viking (leaving aside HTTYD) was the housewife of the Viking stronghold 3151. :-\ Good, very good progress. :)9 A missed opportunity in the Novelmore knight packs.

... (gold parts seem the worst for this).

I haven't noticed major colour differences between batches. What you are referring to is the difference between "old gold" and "new gold". I don't know when the change occurred, but it is unmistakable that golden parts before a certain date have a noticeable different colour. Much better, to my mind: I love, and amass, Altgold.

The three Ship klickies might be bagged together because they were manufactured in a different factory (Malta would be most likely) from the other parts.

Smart :sherlock: You're probably right!

Well the lack of people can easily be fixed with the extras sold. But yeah, kinda silly to package only 3 out of six people to row to the darn thing.  ::)

Another enticing point: the implicit idea clearly is that the public should get all 3 Viking DS sets, and end up with a fully manned vessel under the command of the long-robed leader. I like the idea of a silent mastermind steering the development of Playmobil (and too often have a hard time holding on to that belief).

I find them almost all new, print colors wise...  and many new, period...

I probably undersold them.

If you mean the fur coat, it's from the dragons.

Thank you! No sleeves, so no coat but a gilet in my book.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 20:47:56 »
Thank you! No sleeves, so no coat but a gilet in my book.

Sorry, I didn't know the word  :-[

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 11:10:39 »

Another enticing point: the implicit idea clearly is that the public should get all 3 Viking DS sets, and end up with a fully manned vessel under the command of the long-robed leader.

This reminds me of the "Snow White" set 4211 which came with just two dwarfs. At the same time, geobra issued an Add-on set 7849 of five more dwarfs, so people who take Disney as gospel would be satisfied!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 12:05:36 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 15:27:36 »
This reminds me of the "Snow White" set 4211 which came with just two dwarfs. At the same time, geobra issued an Add-on set 7849 of five more dwarfs, so people who take Disney as gospel would be satisfied!

PM didn't want them to feel...short changed  8-)
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: