Author Topic: Look what I found!  (Read 3943 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Look what I found!
« on: October 17, 2013, 21:11:38 »
We quite often buy secondhand  Playmobil lots on ebay and have had some great bargains as a result. Usually, the Playmobil has mixed in with it a lot of bits of other toys, some clearly not Playmobil. There are usually several bits of Lego, Disney toys, Macdonalds toys plus a wide range of other bits. The Lego goes straight into the children's Lego box, sweet wrappers go in the bin, but most of the other bits I keep. I have been doing this for a couple of years and have a medium-sized cardboard box full now (its about 10cm deep):

This is rather an obsessive thing to do, but I had an inkling when I started this that one day I might be glad I did it. That day was today! I thought I'd have a look in our box of 'non-Playmobil' and see if, with the benefit of greater experience of handling Playmobil parts, I would recognise anything which we had put in there in the last two years. Here is what I found:

And for anyone who doesn't recognise these parts (like me, when I dropped them into the box!), they are:

top left and left: top and leg of a tripod (various safari sets etc.)
centre, top: earpiece/ microphone (fits in the 'ear-rings' slot of certain klicky's heads)
centre: two black pieces found in Western Building sets (3422 to 28, 3430, 3431) but I am not sure what they are for- can anyone tell me?
bottom, centre:drum beater handle for one-man band (from circus sets 4061 or 3797)
right: firearm from Arab warrior special (4521)- definitely a 'rare' part
far right: rope from Merry Men's Hideaway (3626)- an even 'rarer' part

I was especially pleased about that last one as I have never seen it come up on ebay and I am trying to get the parts of 3626 together. It doesn't look much like playmobil, but it is!

So- the moral is- don't throw away pieces until you're sure you really don't need them. My words in February last year now seem prophetic....

I make it a rule never to toss away anything I get in a mixed lot, because you can never be sure it might have a use later, or turn out to be some obscure piece of PM anyway. And you can get a LOT of junk mixed in with Playmobil (Sylvanian stuff can work well with PM though)!

The only exceptions to my 'keep don't toss' rule is any part marked:
a) Made in China (definitely won't be Playmobil!)
b) Duplo or L**o (put it in the children's boxes of these toys)
c) Macdonalds

Of course, not all PM parts have a distinctive logo or part number on them, but you can be fairly confident it isn't PM if its made of very poor quality plastic, especially if it has those spare bits of plastic where the mold parts join.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
Re: Look what I found!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 23:03:08 »
Yep this definitely happens on occasion. There have been a few parts I was sure weren't Playmo that turned out to be in the end, so it's always wise to be cautious with mixed batches.

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 02:19:09 »
So glad you went through it again to make sure! That rope is definitely rare now.

Those black things are for when you snap two of the floor pieces together, those things fit into the grooves and give it more stability. They're not entirely necessary, but nice to have if you move the buildings around much. I always used them as trays of food to pass through the slot in the jail cell as a kid. :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:22:08 »
We also have such boxes lying around. I have not looked in ours for years.

I get a great feeling when we find playmobil parts that we originally thought we're not.

The parts you found are very nice ones
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 07:33:01 »
Great finds! :)

Offline sunflower

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 12:26:56 »
Good for you. Nice things to add to your collectoin!

I also found a lot of strange things in our old Playmobil, marbles, pieces of thirthy year old candy (yuk) and things I thought weren't Playmobil. I (stupid me) threw them away. Later I recognised these very unPlaymobil-like yellow things belonged to the space ship...

I definately learned form that...

life in plastic it's fantastic

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 17:23:38 »
Never really had the problem since I am VERY picky about what I purchase second hand. Every single item needs to be usefull to me of a lot or I wont buy it.  ;)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:39:07 »

far right: rope from Merry Men's Hideaway (3626)- an even 'rarer' part

I was especially pleased about that last one as I have never seen it come up on ebay and I am trying to get the parts of 3626 together. It doesn't look much like playmobil, but it is!

I just found a complete 3626, in its box, with instruction leaflet, in our attic! It was a present from Ruth (my wife) last Christmas which I had forgotten about!  :-[  So much for worrying about individual pieces being overlooked!

I wondered about those yellow 'space tools' too for a while, Sunflower. I initially thought they were Lego! Quite a few have shown up, but very few of the big parts from the Playmospace sets.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 14:17:38 »
Great finds! Those last two parts are definitely great ones. :)
~Pynedor~

Offline Georgeag1972

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 18:49:20 »
Great finds, congrats!!!!

George. :)
  Your passion, is inspiration for us!!!!