Author Topic: No Kiddin’ Around  (Read 3093 times)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
Re: No Kiddin’ Around
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2021, 22:21:59 »
:clap: Thank you, tahra, I love that chart!!

Me too. It's PERFECT.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2021, 02:22:24 »
The first time I got an appointment to tour the Playmobil booth, for coverage for my toy blog, they really didn't know what to do with me.

Sounds like this "out of touchness" (I bet there's a great German word for that!) goes back a long way at PM, and is probably part of their "company culture". Kind of makes me like them more actually - how many companies do you know of that aren't trying to squeeze every last  :2c: out of as many people as possible?

Girls stuff too (bleh)

:**:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2021, 05:21:23 »
Haha, agreed.
They really weren't trying to do it just for the money. (Or that's how it seemed) I was glad that they stuck to what was just a good toy, regardless of marketing trends. However, apparently, that doesn't keep the lights on. I had some real issues at first with them starting licensed lines. It went against everything Playmobil's philosophy stood for. Give kids a toy with no stories, and they'll instantly invent their own. Case in point, my favorite playset is the Colosseum. You're literally buying an empty circle. But you put up a fence, gates, stands for an audience, and then kick in some lions, some gladiators, and a chariot and you instantly have stories and adventures.

But then the Ghostbusters came out. The entire set is beautiful. You can tell the designers love Ghostbusters. All the little details were fantastic, and the design was still firmly from the Playmobil style book.
And then Back to the Future started coming out, and its fantastic as well.

I applauded their attempts with Super 4 and the Playmobil movie. They had a great premise, you start out with a story and some characters, but they constantly visit existing playmobil lands and themes. So if you get just the Super 4 flying car, they can visit your existing pirate or knights or fantasy toys. You could buy up old sets on eBay. But... alas, it was just too apparent of a commercial and the kids(and parents) didnt take to it.

So, if they're doing well, better even, by introducing licensed stuff. That's ok with me. I just hope it doesn't go the LEGO route where 90% of their stuff is licensed and the innovation and heart doesn't get a chance to make it to the shelves.

Here is the earliest gallery I could find on my Flickr, from 2011 Toy Fair. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjtz3FHv. BONUS: This was the year they introduced the
FI?URES - Series 1. I was super excited.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2021, 08:13:21 »
Great pictures, Andy. That was a good year.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2021, 09:02:30 »
Yes, great pics :love:

What DID you whisper to that top agent?  ???   :P

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2021, 15:16:12 »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. haha

I believe I said something like "that Top Agents secret mountain base will be mine... oh yes"

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2021, 15:27:25 »
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. haha

I believe I said something like "that Top Agents secret mountain base will be mine... oh yes"

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline Joshua D

• Playmo Fanatic
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2021, 06:42:26 »
Being mainly interested in historical themes, I haven’t bought much of the licensed stuff. I did get the BTTF advent calendar for the telephone pole which will go perfect alongside my steaming mary train. Just need like 11 more of them  :D the figures were great too of course. I ended up swapping parts with my old klickies to make new random 50’s era people. I would like to see sets for BTTF 3. I could easily incorporate that into my western collection.

Also, the Dana Barrett figure made a perfect Roman/Greek citizen. There isn’t a whole lot that I’m buying this year, one or two mystery figures and that stargazer set. The Novelmore Zeppelin has potential but I don’t care for the look of the figures or sets. I do like the steampunk element of it though. I guess I’m a very selective kidult   :P

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2021, 22:35:48 »
Here is the earliest gallery I could find on my Flickr, from 2011 Toy Fair. https://flic.kr/s/aHsjtz3FHv. BONUS: This was the year they introduced the

Although the Agents theme doesn't appeal to me, I felt compelled to get that Robot Laboratory set when it was on sale one month. Never opened it. I think I like it because it reminds me of the Star Wars Droid Factory set, which I either had or wanted so badly I FELT like I had.
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline gloobey

• Playmo Fanatic
    • My Illustration Website
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2021, 21:10:20 »
Nice pictures!

[/quote]

That was my first year at Toy Fair, and it was a good year for Playmobil. The buildable figures are still really great.
What's the point of going, if you can't get there on a train?