Author Topic: No Kiddin’ Around  (Read 3094 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: No Kiddin’ Around
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 10:34:38 »
Thought I'd split this topic out as I think it's an interesting one.

Good call!

I think there is at least one other factor at play and that is disposable income. The standard of living of many people is such that they have 'spare money' which they can use to indulge hobbies and especially nostalgia. This influences the type and cost of gifts bought too, as I said earlier. Some people seem to feel their status amongst fellow enthusiasts is shown by how much they have to spend on the hobby.

For example, when I go birdwatching (a hobby I started as a child, a hobby which can be enjoyed with a minimum of equipment), I sometimes meet other 'birders' (don't call us twitchers!) who seem more interested in the equipment I am carrying (binoculars, camera equipment) than the birds. There is a lot of equipment available now which one can buy to improve the birdwatching experience, but if you don't ever see interesting birds or birds doing interesting things (spending too much time in the camera shop, stopping for frequent rests due to the weight of equipment you are toting, focusing on the next guy's equipment instead of the birds, worrying about keeping your expensive binoculars dry so you never take off the lens caps, etc), what's the point? And don't get me started on Hide* Etiquette (talking loudly, waving arms out of the window, taking up space with massive tripods, thumping about, banging the door, wonder why all the birds are so far off?). Or people who have all the gear but got no idea- can't identify even fairly common birds 'in the field' so take photos and post them on birding forums to get an identification.
*Hides (aka blinds) are those shed-like buildings birders like to lurk in to spy on birds!
Ornithological rant over. 8}
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 09:13:05 by GrahamB »
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2021, 10:52:49 »
'Kidults'... Maybe they could have added we come together in 'Ridicults' to play with one another´s toys and always go home before 8 p.m.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2021, 11:15:19 »
"kidult"    That's a no. Nope, nope.

PM may be making a half-hearted attempt at pulling in adult buyers with its outdated franchises and brand name vehicles, but they don't seem to have much strategy.

I wonder how much of the "increase" in toy collecting is because we're not counting model trains and boats as toys. My grandfather's (older) cousin dedicated his entire basement to a model train setup. There is a pop culture aspect to 21st century toy collecting, but the principle isn't new.

Re: disposable income
As a millennial, toys are an affordable alternative to house/wedding/children/therapy (and other things I can't afford, but boomers insist I need). It's not so much that I have extra money; it's more that my expectations in life have significantly decreased since college.  :lol: :'(

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2021, 15:27:19 »
Considering how much turnover Playmobil has had in upper management the last few years, I have difficulty believing they can stick to any strategy for very long. The resl underlying issue here is that kids these days have moved a big chunk of play to devices pretty early, cutting out years of pretend play with object toys like Playmobil. The company is trying to find new markets. What I think they should be doing is going after the modeling diorama type market.  Look at the big Pkaymo shows they have in Europe, and the fact CircusOliver has multiple diorama museum shows going on in Germany all the time. One of the huge advantages Playmo has is that they have a fully developed in scale world that can be used creatively. If they had used the PCC correctly they would have been having diorama and image contests and promoting them widely with booklets of the best photos by fans packaged in all set boxes to encourage people who are interested to increase the size  of their own worlds with more sets. You see it in kids who come to shows and want to go home and make their own. Also, why doesn't Playmobil have a pop up shop they take to shows with the latest sets and maybe some early release sets there? If they had a few August release sets at a June show they would sell out to the diorama makers if not to the public. But as Tahra says, the company doesn't seem to want to make money by making it easier to buy their product or use their existing market to its full advantage.

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2021, 21:05:52 »
Ornithological rant over. 8}

Sounds like you've had run-ins with the people who are known as "birdults"  ;D
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2021, 22:53:15 »
the people who are known as "birdults"  ;D

The most famous one is Arnult Schwaenenecker.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Online tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2021, 07:21:51 »
I suppose you are right about the constant top changes - it is hard to have ANY strategy like that... Like series done by different people with different ideas, who did NOT watch the show... the only possible result is.. well.. kindergarten language... but you know.

If they had used the PCC correctly (...)

Don't forget it was a decision to keep the pcc under wraps. Except us die hard connected collectors, nobody knew about it.

But as Tahra says, the company doesn't seem to want to make money by making it easier to buy their product or use their existing market to its full advantage.

Well.. fact, right?  I don't know why, but...

Offline AgeOwns

• Playmo Fanatic
  • @MillionairePb
    • MillionairePlayboy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2021, 15:23:36 »
Can I rant for a moment!
I'm sorry to be that guy, but this is the time and place for me to say it.

I went to Toy Fair (US) back in 2001, and then consecutively for about 13 years.

The first time I got an appointment to tour the Playmobil booth, for coverage for my toy blog, they really didn't know what to do with me. The press (especially the new "collector press" and blogs) did not visit playmobil. They'd get general interest news "Hey look we're at Toy Fair" that may do a fly by, but nothing in depth.

For several years playmobil was always my first appt at Toy Fair. I got to know their folks pretty well, but I was the only real media person (well "real" is up for debate, I was a blogger) that would come by and photograph every single toy. Girls stuff too (bleh)

Then other blogs started visiting them too, and it became harder for me to get the best time slots. I was like "I told you (bloggers) to go visit the playmobil booth and you laughed. I invited you to come along on my appt, and you shrugged it off. Now you're blocking me out". However, playmobil recognized I had been doing it for years, and many years was the only press, so they got me in after all.

I remember when they got their first licensed property (NHL hockey) and they had no idea how to handle the press, so they just would not book an appointment for me. I went by and talked to them, they knew I had been doing it for 10 years, but upper mgt was so worried I'd leak a photo of their hockey player. Finally at the end of the week I was allowed to shoot the booth, because someone else had leaked it. (some buyer, not press)

SO, haha, sorry. That was long winded. But yeah! I was there when it wasn't cool. I constantly would give suggestions like "oh the collectors would love XYZ". of course the PR rep at the AMERICAN toy Fair would not be able to send ideas up the chain. Everything came from Germany and down, one way street. Ah well.

Again, sorry. I agree "Kidult" is repulsive. I'm glad they're able to "keep the lights on" by selling licensed stuff. The BTTF and Ghostbusters stuff is amazing.

Rant over.

Online tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2021, 20:30:40 »
Interesting  - thank you for sharing...

However:

Girls stuff too (bleh)

::)

IMPORTANT: How To Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls In One Easy Step (huffpost link), VERY IMPORTANT.

Offline Indianna

• Playmo Detective
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2021, 21:41:01 »
IMPORTANT: How To Tell If A Toy Is For Boys Or Girls In One Easy Step (huffpost link), VERY IMPORTANT.

:clap: Thank you, tahra, I love that chart!! 
U.S.A.      Massachusetts