Author Topic: Fairies  (Read 2134 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Fairies
« on: March 25, 2018, 17:05:11 »
This is a review of all the fairy figures issued by Playmobil up to the current time. I found 126 of them. I haven’t included the Winter Fairies Duopack 9447 released on March 1st this year (2 fairies) and there will be another fairy in Fi?ures Series 14 available from August this year, There are probably a few others I have missed!

Other people have done great photo-stories with fairies (here and here) and reviews of fairy sets (here). So here I want to show the complete range of fairy klickies which have graced the Playmobil world to date.

The first fairies appeared in 1995 in sets 3836 and 4520, but these had no wings. The first wings appeared two years later in set 4537. There has been a great variety of adult female fairies with various skirt/leg combinations and different wings (more details below).

Child fairies first appeared in 2007. Most have a ‘flip hem’ top or a ‘standard’ top and tutu or mini-skirt. Most have medium-length shorts and a couple have curly-toed footwear. Many child fairies have lovely hats shaped like flowers or fruits.

Male fairies appeared in 2017. Super4 fairies and fairy babies are also recent additions to the PM fairy world.

Fairy figures are found in several themes, apart from the obvious one (Fairy World). The following list shows the number of fairies in each theme:

Christmas         6 (advent calendars 4158 and 5492)
Easter Eggs      7
Fairy Tales         6
Fairy World      77
Fi?ures            12 (every series except for 3 and 11; two in series 10)
Gift series         3
Magic               5
Promotional      2
Quick               6
Special             8
Super 4           4 (1 as a ‘Quick’ give-away)
Other              3 (exhibition give-away, girls’ magazine no.9, Toy shop bag)
Total            139

I have included any fairies I could find which were of more ‘limited release’, such as a Playmobil Magazine figure, seven Quick restaurant figures, a couple of give-aways and a toy shop single figure bag 30797543.

In the pictures, I have shown the front and back of each fairy figure and included accessories such as cloaks, bracelets and headgear which were in the original set. Sometimes I have included a wand or other accessory, but I have not attempted to show the whole contents of the set from which each figure came.

Each picture has the number of the set from which it came. Eight figures came in more than one set. Some fairies are based on the same figure as others, but with different wings. Most fairy figures have a known part number (e.g.30 14 1050) but I have not included these- they can be found by looking up the set on PlaymoDB.

I have put the pictures in groups depending on the wing and leg/skirt types.

The wings are attached to the fairy in two ways.
1.   A wing holder or collar which fits over the shoulders, with two pins on the back to which a pair of wings fit. Adults have either ‘standard’ (rounded) or ‘long’ wings. Child fairies have smaller wings and a short wing holder, or a longer one which clips onto the lower edge of the torso. Some child fairies have longer, dragonfly-like wings. Super4 fairies have the pins for the wings on their torso.

2.   Plug-in wings; one piece with a System-X style ‘plug’ that fits into a hole in the back of a fairy’s torso. These will only fit if the hole is present. There are four types of plug-in wings which I have called lobed, butterfly, pointed and dragonfly.

Adult female fairies have eight different skirt/leg styles:
1.   Two types of standard long skirts (most have a recessed centre panel, some lack this)
2.   long skirts with asymmetric hemline (raised on the left) and pleated fishtail (unable to sit)
3.   long skirts with asymmetric hemline (raised on the left), no fishtail
4.   long skirts with asymmetric hemline (raised on the right), plain fishtail
5.   flared long skirts (unable to sit)
6.   midi skirts with a zig-zag hem (unable to sit)
7.   trousers and boots
8.   ‘speedo’ legs with either a tutu or mini-skirt.

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Fairies
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 17:05:53 »
Group 1 Adult Fairies without wings (7)
I included these because they have the word ‘Fairy’ in their PlaymoDB name, but without wings, are they really fairies? The wingless fairy in 3896 appeared later with wings in 7463,

Group 2 Adult Fairies with wing-holders, standard (12) or long (1) wings and standard long skirts (13)

Group 3 Adult Fairies with wing holders and long skirts with asymmetric hemline (raised on the left) and fishtail (unable to sit)  (4)

Group 4 Adult Fairies with wing holders, standard wings and tutu skirts (7)

Group 5 Adult Fairies with wing holders, long wings and tutu skirts (7)

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 17:06:40 »
Group 6 Adult Fairies with wing holders, long wings and mini skirts (3)

Group 7 Adult Fairies with wing holders, standard or long wings and zig-zag hem midi skirt (5)

Group 8 Adult Fairies with wing holders and flared-hem hem skirt (cannot sit) (2)

Group 9 Adult Fairies with plug-in lobed wings and standard long skirt (12)

Group 10 Adult Fairies with plug-in pointed wings and standard long skirt (2)

Group 11 Adult Fairies with plug-in dragonfly wings and standard long skirt (2)

Group 12 Adult Fairies with plug-in lobed wings and long skirts with asymmetric hemline (1 raised on the right, 1 raised on the left) (2)

Group 13 Adult Fairies with plug-in butterfly wings and long skirts with asymmetric hemline (10 raised on the right with plain fishtail, 1 raised on the left) (9)

The wings on 5443 come in lighter or darker tints.

The fairies  from sets 5353, 5661 and 5645(2) differ in the presence or absence and colour of their collars. 5461 and 5645(2) are identical apart from the arm printing on 5461. I have counted this as two fairies.

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 17:07:27 »
Group 14 Adult Fairies with plug-in pointed wings and long skirts with asymmetric hemline (3 raised on the right with plain fishtail, 1 raised on the left) (4)

Group 15 Adult Fairies with plug-in dragonfly wings and long skirts with asymmetric hemline (raised on the right with plain fishtail) (3)

Group 16 Adult Fairies with plug-in dragonfly wings and trousers (2)

Group 17 Adult Male fairies with wing holders and long wings (3)

Group 18 Super-4 style fairies, pegs for wings on back (4)

Group 19 Child fairies without wings, 1 boy, 2 girls (3) Again, are they really fairies?

Group 20 Child fairies with wing-holders and no skirt (15 girls, 1 boy)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 17:07:56 »
Group 21 Child fairies with long, scalloped top (2)

Group 22 Child fairies with skirts or tutus (12)

Group 23 Baby fairies (2)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 19:35:16 »
:o

Thank you for such a detailed look at the fairies :love:

Offline leefert

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 01:57:37 »
I never realized how gorgeous some of the fairies are!
I'm glad that I'm not the only one :)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 13:58:02 »
GB, this is truly a labor of love!
Thank you very much for sharing.
Have you also collected all of the Fairy accessories?

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 18:02:41 »
I don't deliberately collect Fairies and yet I have a lot of them. Now I want more. there are a couple of them there that are hard to get that I really like. That red Quick fairy for instance is wonderful - why oh why has that one not been in the Figures yet?
Thanks for the wonderful list Graham.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 12:57:36 »
I didn't realise that there are so many fairies.  I had a list of ones that I don't have, but now that list is going to get an awful lot longer!
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn