Author Topic: Tax on DS Shipment  (Read 3405 times)

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
Tax on DS Shipment
« on: January 21, 2021, 22:39:51 »
Im shocked. I ordered some stuff from the DS and UPS stopped it at the Border and i have to pay 47 quid tax on it. its a 150 quid order. Anyone has similiar problems?

i thought its still a free trade arangement..

Im contacted the DS department and will see whats happening now.

Government Charges:
Brokerage Charges:
Freight Charges:
VAT:
Total Due GBP:

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
Re: Tax on DS Shipment
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 22:57:25 »
hmm i just see taht all under 135 quid is free. they should have told me. i need to phone them tomorrow. send back and repack :lol

Offline StJohn

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 01:35:53 »
Welcome to the Brexit, Mike. It's all over the newspapers: Nothing is free, also not under £ 135. I suppose all Geobra online shops are still considered German/EU tax entities? If you had ordered at German DS, things would have turned out cheaper.

Offline Oliver

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 06:26:36 »
I did actually wonder about this, especially for spare parts which always come from Germany rather than the UK.

Was it spare parts or sets? I'd (hope) that full sets would be dispatched from the UK, and so the tax was sorted out already, but I can see that wouldn't be possible for the spare parts service - and potentially I can either see them refusing to post to the UK.

I *think* you used to be able to receive packages up to £50 from outside the EU but I know it's a bit hit and miss - I've had clothing items from Australia be hit with the import charges, and some vinyl from the USA and both would have been below the £135 threshold. It's easy to forget when you're buying online  ::)

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 06:34:55 »
I did actually wonder about this, especially for spare parts which always come from Germany rather than the UK.

Was it spare parts or sets? I'd (hope) that full sets would be dispatched from the UK, and so the tax was sorted out already, but I can see that wouldn't be possible for the spare parts service - and potentially I can either see them refusing to post to the UK.

I *think* you used to be able to receive packages up to £50 from outside the EU but I know it's a bit hit and miss - I've had clothing items from Australia be hit with the import charges, and some vinyl from the USA and both would have been below the £135 threshold. It's easy to forget when you're buying online  ::)

Sets are dispatched from Germany too. But it s more than 30 percent and that's wrong. Customs on gov says between 135 and 630 it's max 2.5 and under its free as it's a EU produced product without non EU parts.

Offline Ismene

• Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 06:56:04 »
When I ship something to the UK from the US, it's VAT plus 8 pounds. But I don't know what's going on with the EU and Brexit right now.

I hear the UK is planning to add another 2% on top of VAT.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 09:31:28 »

If you personally import goods from the EU, any UK VAT is charged on the value of the goods plus any import duties, so the total will be more than 20%.  Plus of course the shipping company also has more paperwork to fill in and they charge for this.

Not being able to import meat products (e.g. ham sandwiches) into the EU follows on automatically from leaving it because the EU (like other countries such as the US and Australia) bans imports of certain foods for environmental or health reasons.

The government despite what the Prime Minister said,  was aware of all these things (and more) when it signed the trade agreement

“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 10:02:33 »
If you personally import goods from the EU, any UK VAT is charged on the value of the goods plus any import duties, so the total will be more than 20%.  Plus of course the shipping company also has more paperwork to fill in and they charge for this.

Not being able to import meat products (e.g. ham sandwiches) into the EU follows on automatically from leaving it because the EU (like other countries such as the US and Australia) bans imports of certain foods for environmental or health reasons.

The government despite what the Prime Minister said,  was aware of all these things (and more) when it signed the trade agreement

no. 135 is still free

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/brits-slapped-with-sky-high-tax-and-delivery-charges-for-clothes-ordered-from-eu/ar-BB1cZs4W?li=AAnZ9Ug

but the did not inform me..

"The problems have in part been caused by rules introduced since the end of the Brexit transition period that require VAT on purchases from the EU to be collected at the point of delivery if the goods cost more than £135.

There may also be customs duties if the goods originated, or partly originated, outside the EU.""

its fully EU product

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2021, 10:06:04 »
there is like 300 something i can carry duty free in my luggage or hand luggage aswell.. aslong its personal use...

Offline mike1003

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2021, 11:17:35 »
all sorted with Geobra. They know the issue and it takes time to get sorted.. Great Service. Thanks