Author Topic: 5129 Café  (Read 5688 times)

Offline highlandcattle

• Playmo Lover
5129 Café
« on: May 30, 2011, 15:26:32 »
This is one the sets of 2011 that I was looking forward too. I bought it on release but since one of the lightbulbs was missing (it is the very first time I had a missing piece in a playmobil set!). I took a while to get to the review.

As you can see it is a charming looking building, that I will try to fit in my town. It is however not made with system x but it are actually two large parts (the floor and the rest of the building.) that snap together. The only system x compatible part is the sunscreen in front of the window:

The door is replaceable with any old western/steck door. Which would have been able to transfer it to a Mexican/Californian building or different shops for your town. But the window is a new size and height so you cannot change that:

As far a accessories goes: I don't think there is anything new included. Most parts were present in the old hotdog stand, some of the newer come from the wedding theme. A fun return is the street lamp from the old vacation home, it has however a new connector making it incompatible with steck houses.

On the inside, the café is quite empty , but the outside accessories are plenty, I'll take more pictures when I have set up a scenery.

All in all, I think this is one fun set that kids would love to play with. The price is also right: 19.99 euro. I hope to see more of this type of set in the coming years. Instead of all the stupid cars ( :o).

I just wish that geobra would think of us collectors: to make all their sets a bit more compatible so we could switch parts without cutting them up!

« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 15:40:52 by highlandcattle »

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 5129 Café
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 15:32:45 »
Thanks for the review, HC.  An interesting addition but apparently following a new route of simpler construction.  Playmobil seem to have gone from one extreme (the fiddly System-X) to the other (this one) and forgot that there is a good halfway house in Steck.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 16:14:29 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline el jefe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 16:01:21 »
Thanks for the review Highland. :wave:  An interesting little building.  Too bad about no compatibility.  I really like the klickie with this set. 

Offline Playmoholics

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 16:06:27 »
Thanks for the great review and pictures  :wave: It is a very charming little set, and the interior looks playable  :thanks:
Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive – Howard Thurman.
I need Playmobil! 

Offline kaethe

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 16:09:26 »
HC
Thank you for the review.  Interesting that Playmobil is going the direction of larger preset pieces that just snap together, I suspect this might be easier for short attention span children (and adults) to assemble but definitely is a detriment to creativity.  I noticed this with the newer modern house as well.  I like the cafe owner, as well.  The new window is interesting, and it makes sense that it would not be steck compatible, because it is a modern architectural component.  It would make a great viewing window in a natural history museum or aquarium diorama if the shutters are removable, low for the children to view, but with a wide sill, for them to lean on. 

Looking forward to the rest of your review.
k

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 16:19:09 »
Thank you for the great review! Beautiful little set!

Offline Gis

• Playmo Master
  • Polar Bears are cool!
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 16:34:34 »
Great review HC, I think we can't nopt buy this set as it is a perfect addition to our Zoo. havent done so yet though...on the list it goes :-)

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 17:44:50 »
Thank you for showing us this new assembly type of construction, HC! :)9
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline basilsdad

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 18:02:52 »
What a good review, HC.  I think I like the shuttered windows, the klickie and lights the best.  I had to laugh when I read Gordon's comment on the "fiddly System-X."  I guess I am a diehard steck fan myself, but warming to new ideas.  Thanks again for the review.
Joe   
"One cat just leads to another."
 - Ernest Hemingway

Offline playmogal

• places for playmo women to go
  • Playmo Master
  • The bride and groom topper-my son's wedding cake
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 18:06:28 »
Nice review so far! I like the colorful colors! Also the greenery and shutters. Too bad it is not System X compatible so we could enlarge it. Would be nice built into a restaurant on the water. Thanks for the photos! Pgal 8-) 8-) 8-)
After two decades of male toys (esp. Lego and PM) in our house, it is time to build something for us women!