Author Topic: 5140 - New redcoats cannon boat  (Read 11859 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Re: 5140 - New redcoats cannon boat
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2012, 19:19:04 »
I picked up one of these this week in the US, but have no idea how long it's been out. Cost me $35 from a local toyshop, but you might find it cheaper at a bigger store.

It's a nice vessel, a very welcome addition to the middel range of ship sizes, it's just a shame Playmobil choose to put bright colors in where they don't belong. I think they've all been mentioned but the colors I object to are:

red barrel - should be wood colored
yellow wheel - should be wood colored
red soldiers (Marines) - let's have some actual Naval personnel. A blue coated officer with white trousers & black shoes, any lowly sailor to steer the ship
Grey wig ? Wigs worn in Britian were white, not grey.

The printing on my soldier was already damaged due to loose bagging, very annoying, fortunately I'm, not going to use him with this ship anyway.

The fleur-de-lys on the stickers would be more appropriate for a French ship then a British one.

The Union Jack lacking the St Patrick's cross is correct for the period (1606-1801). Odd that they can get this detail corerct and so many other things wrong.

Offline PlaymoMan

• Playmo Master
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2012, 20:01:53 »
Rhalius, that looks great as a merchant ship! You're definitely right about lots of play value. I bought one about a month ago, now I just need the fortress. ;D
Life's essentials: food, water, shelter and at least one klicky.

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2012, 21:19:22 »
thanks, it really is a wonderfully versatile ship, it has a great shape.