Author Topic: STECK DESIGNER WANTED  (Read 21582 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
STECK DESIGNER WANTED
« on: May 05, 2010, 01:51:36 »

STECK DESIGNER WANTED

We would like to find someone who can revamp Playmobil's SystemX and Steck Systems so that they work together and work better!

This new "combination" system needs to be mathematically logical like Lego only all Playmobil.

Do we have any members here at Playmofriends that can do this? The preliminary design will be presented in Zirndorf in about six weeks!

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Re: STECK DESIGNER WANTED
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 01:57:46 »

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE?

If we can make this happen, we may be able to save  Steck, SystemX and have a better Playmobil construction system!

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 02:00:58 »
I am not sure what you are asking Richard... maybe it is because I am tired... :cloud9:
Can you explain in a little more detail?
I am willing to help with this, it sounds kinda fun!
But I need a more detailed explanation. :wave:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 02:41:43 »

Hello, WoT!

Lego bricks were mathematically engineered to fit together in an almost infinite variety of combinations. Steck and SystemX need to both be re-engineered to work together and to also fit together in an almost infinite variety of combinations. I think that to create such a Playmobil system will require someone with excellent mathematical skills.

We are looking for anyone here at Playmofriends who has the mathematical skills and imagination needed to create a Playmobil system that will let both Steck and SystemX work together and to also fit together in an almost infinite variety of combinations. We are hoping for a preliminary design to present at the Zirndorf meeting in about six weeks.

Thank you for your question.

All the best,
Richard

Offline MalteseKnight

• Pirate of the Mediterranean
  • Playmo Pal
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:26:19 »
that would be truly impressive, if someone from our community comes up with a new mathematically supported construction method for playmo, like lego.
All I can think of are additional pieces that work like 'bridges' between one system and the other. A bit like the usb is the current way to plug into pc's, and you can plug in old mice with nine pins or even the old 25 pins to a usb-bridge (damn, i forgot the real word for such a translating device). With tv's you have scart-plugs, so you can get your three wires from your digital camera into an old tv with only scart, etc..
With playmo, these extra pieces would have system x connections on one side, and steck on the other...

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:00 »
Unless a part is designed on which both system x and steck components can be added (and can be removed at the users discretion)so that the parts (corners, walls etc...) can fit both articles....

I have no mathematical skills or knowledge unfortunatley...nor do i have any knowledge of any kind of design school but I have used system x and steck a lot to produce custom buildings for my playmo...its just comes easily, and after experimentation, when i have the pieces all together in front of me...

I believe i can identify what is functional and what is not and what a child can use easily and what a grown up collector will need....

Offline arab warrior

• Playmo Lover
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:32:58 »
Good idea!
But what´s in it for the mathematical designer :toot:

Offline socrates

• Geobra Gourmet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:52:23 »
Hi Richard!

Fantastic! So we will be able to give input into Zirndorf design unit!?
This is just great!  Wonderful! :D

Of course I will be in!

I think, the most important thing is to brainstorm carefully what we would like to have.
So, what is missing, what part do you (everyone) need the most?!   ???

My two cents would be:
six weeks for a thoughtful sketch is pretty much on short notice. Thus, we should restrict ourselves on adapter elements to combine both systems, and maybe some inspired new parts.
I remember once the adapter in incorporating the steck parts with the fort wall. A small genious piece!  :love:
http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-20-8890

We need to sketch something like this to bridge between steck and SysX. That would be soo cool!

Hmm, problems here are the different dimensions, I guess. SysX comes in essentially two different heights, steck has one height and this doesn't match well to both. And as both parts have different dimensions (SysX is significantly thicker), we have another problem there...
So, do we really want to bring together both systems? Maybe it would make sense to think about a new system, extending SysX to something we really love because it combines advantages from both systems?

Another question is, whether or not we are getting input from Zirndorf. I would love to know, e.g., why the heck they are using this cheap pseudo-steck-system these days. They undermine their own system by that.
I expect SysX parts just to be too expensive in production. That would be important to know, because then we should maybe go more into the steck direction in our design.

And, finally, adressing the mathematical model: I think the secret of lego is that they have one basic brick, the classic 2x2 stone, and all other building parts are fractions or multiple of it. you dont need a mathematician to design something like that. SysX is pretty cool in its potential, but there are some universal parts missing. They design e.g. cool roof elements but then cornerstones are missing completely or just available for this one special set. The same for steck. It has been longer on market but e.g. the fourside-wall connector never has been released...

Hmm, okay, this might already count as 10cent.  :-[
Well, looking forward to read your ideas!

best,
socrates
"Just living is not enough," said the butterfly, "one must have sunshine, freedom, and a little flower."
— Hans Christian Andersen

Offline Giorginetto

• Playmo Master
  • Playmobil Aficionado
    • TheGiorginetto channel
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:24:01 »
Hi Richard!
The same for steck. It has been longer on market but e.g. the fourside-wall connector never has been released...

I think that a key element to achieve this will be connectors , connectors , connectors . They can provide a type of bridging between these design construction concepts and also a 4 point connect for steck would be an awesome part to have to create better designs with steck, one think i never understood why it was never created . With reference to connectors i will give it some serious thought and if i can create anything meaningfull in autocad i will inform you Richard, i will give it a serious go this weekend . I think its great that PM is brainstorming this and its a great opportunity . Consider the toothed connection principle of steck and the standard Lego brick which can be easily upscaled by multiples of the base design .. how can we marry these together ?? I will most certainly medidate on this and play a lot with autocad to try make something useful .... My guess is building blocks for playmobil  desings will have to be smaller than e.g the classic steck wall ....  :)
:knight: Steck is Holy . Bring back more steck sets and its guardians , the Nuremberg Guards :knight:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:04 »
My two cents would be:
six weeks for a thoughtful sketch is pretty much on short notice. Thus, we should restrict ourselves on adapter elements to combine both systems, and maybe some inspired new parts.
I remember once the adapter in incorporating the steck parts with the fort wall. A small genious piece!  :love:
http://playmodb.org/cgi-bin/showpart.pl?partnum=30-20-8890

We need to sketch something like this to bridge between steck and SysX. That would be soo cool!

Exactly what i had in mind socrates...This is a great connector piece imagine if it had system x on one side and steck on the other...

There is also need for a four way connector...i know it exists but only for certain sets....

Floors are an issue...system x floors can be produced to fit steck pieces in order to avoid the use of the little tooth-like clippers (from the already existing floors) that can be so easily broken and do not always fit the plans one wants them to fit...

Come on people...more ideas....