Author Topic: new playmobil motorcycles - a big security problem  (Read 4478 times)

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
Re: new playmobil motorcycles - a big security problem
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 12:45:32 »
Quite true. I can't see how helmet laws and number of accidents could be linked, unless maybe you can't see as well with the helmet on (peripheral vision, I mean). All I know is that I have known people whose lives were saved by wearing a motorcycle helmet.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 15:14:23 »
Yes, laws are strange in our state for sure. There are no mandatory helmet laws for moped, bicycle, or motorcycle riders, but there are seat belt laws for motorists, but school buses carrying up to 80 children don't even offer seat belts for them to wear, & on the news there's reports of school bus accidents even rollovers quite frequently! :hmm:
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline Alison01326

• formerly known as "Bad Mum!"
  • Playmo Lover
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 17:00:17 »
I think laws were frequently thought up by people with little or no experience of the subejct to which the law relates.

Crash helmets on motorbikes are compulsory in the UK but  nothing else, although the police will stop people who aren't wearing a great deal and offer them a bit of friendly advice about their attire.

Nothing is compulsory on bicycles as far as I know, but a bicycle shop is not allowed to sell a pedal bike without a red reflector on the back.  I think I could take mine off and be within the law if I wanted to.

The wearing of seatbelts is compulsory in cars where seatbelts are fitted!!  They are compulsory on coaches but not buses (the distinction between the two vehicles being that buses are the ones that you may travel to work on, or to the next town on, and coaches are the ones that you would probably go on a tour on).

But I say so often, "you can't legislate against stupidity".

PS  Back to the original subject - Isaac has got the gloves from one of our garden sets that get shared out between his bikers.  He's a bit of a stickler for "proper attire" but I need to order some more - enough for the new sets as well, I supose as I forgot to get any with the last spares order. He hasn't seen these new sets yet  :giggle:

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 20:56:07 »
It has a lot to do with common sense. If you hit an obstacle in the road riding on a 2 wheeled type of transportation, the laws of physics are going to cause you great harm, even death. The mode of transportation they are aboard will stop, & those is not wearing a helmet or gloves will end up dying from severe head trauma with road rash on your knuckles, legs, and any other part of body that contacts the road surface after flying over the handle bars head first. Remember the saying objects in motion stay in motion? However, instead people want to look tough, riding motorcycles without a helmet making them organ donars. But other motorists in an enclosed vehicle will be stopped by police & anyone not in a safety belt will be fined $25.00 each, because that is the law,...really?
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 23:05:55 »
Spoken like someone who has witnessed quite a few of these tragedies. :-\
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 23:21:14 »
I remember a doctor saying as we moved an accident victim on to an ER gurney with CPR & aggressive efforts being taken to revive him, from a two wheeled vehicle accident, what did you all have to do, pick him up with a stick & a spoon? I witnessed many moped & motorcycle accidents over the years when I was in active service. The ones with riders wearing a helmet, leathers, & gloves, had a much better chance of survival than those not.