Author Topic: Rigging for crane in 3112, 3288 and 7376  (Read 1365 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Rigging for crane in 3112, 3288 and 7376
« on: July 06, 2012, 15:47:00 »
Can anyone provide help with rigging the crane in thw above sets.  Even with the plans downloaded from the PM site what is being done seems odd.  Apparently, the jib of the crane is lowered and raised rather than the loading platform being lowered and raised.  Is this correct?  It wouldn't seem too hard to alter the way the crane is rigged to have the angle of the jib fixed and the loading platform going up and down.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: Rigging for crane in 3112, 3288 and 7376
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 15:01:03 »
I think I have the answer for you, Gordon... but I need to do some digging of the crane first... I'll try to reply to your question by tonight.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 15:17:19 »
Thanks, Panos, look forward to hearing from you.  Meanwhile, I've rigged it how I think it should be so it'll be interesting to see your solution.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 06:12:09 »
Ok I manage to dig the crane out and take a few pics to answer your question, Gordon.

Both the jib and the platform can be lowered and raised: what you have is actually two different pieces of string, one, being tied at the top of the jib and finding its way at the handcrank...

...that allows for the jib to be lowered and raised by turning the handcrank

You can either pass that rope throught the top reel of the crane and then tie it to the handcrank, or tie it straight to the handcrank. I found the second one easier for raising and lowering the jib.

Second rope is tied at the other side of the crane...

...tying one end of the string at that little tying spot under the top jib reel, passing it though the top jib reel and all the way along the jib, and then through the other tying spot at the bottom of the jib, and straight to the crane base for tying the end of the string at the holding point:

That allows lowering and raising the platfor movement!

I hope this instructions and pics help, but if you need more pics of the strings and ties don't hesitate to ask, my friend :)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 16:03:24 »
Thanks for the info and pics, Panos.  Am I right in saying that when you turn the windlass to lower the hook, the jib also goes down, or is it possible to raise or lower one of them without the other?

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 16:14:21 »
Both of them move independently, so you actually have two seperate moves, one the raises and lowers the jib and the other raises and lowers the windlass hook and platform. Unless there is some way to place the rope string so that both can move  :eh?: but I've never tried it...