Author Topic: We should get together in Oregon  (Read 6201 times)

Offline Ronastoo

• Playmo Lover
  • MamaDragon
We should get together in Oregon
« on: August 31, 2010, 06:00:48 »
It's midway between the Washington folks and the northern California folks.   
And Tim has a chocolate store in Oregon.   
So, those are excellent reasons for having a west coast meet.
Anybody else interested?   :D   :D   :D

(And if we do it in October maybe Tim will invite us to his house to see his Halloween castle.)   ;D   ;D
Rona MamaDragon

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
Re: We should get together in Oregon
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 14:04:01 »
Sounds cool to me! ;D
Chocolate and Playmobil, what else is there that matters? :cloud9:
Steck is BACK! <:>

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 14:41:28 »
It would certainly be fun to have a get together some time. Martin's Playmobil room is pretty amazing. If he ever gets his table cleaned off he can do displays 3 to 4 times larger than anything I've ever done. Eugene Toy and Hobby has their Anniversary Sale one week every October with 20% off Playmobil. That would be a good time to hold a get-together. I just cleaned up my Playmo Closet and have a whole shelf of stuff I could trade if we wanted to make it a trading event too.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 15:15:02 »
I'd love to help host a get together with my Playmoden as a focal point, but will need to get organised in plenty of time to make it feasable.

I usually work weekend shifts so I need to book time off in advance with a minimum of 3 weeks' notice. That also gives me time to clear the den's table (by throwing everything into boxes and hiding them) and maybe set up something to play with. Right now, as Tim knows, it's a sorting surface with a lot of sorting still not done.

I'll find out what dates in October the Eugene Toy & Hobby Store do their October discount and aim for a possible weekend date for a get together (they are closed Sundays). We may buy nothing between us, but the opportunity will be there. Learning Plaace is another store very near me which does discounts, I'm not sure if they do any in October, but they open every day.

My house and Tims's are either side of the I5, for my house you come off onto Beltline (the 569) and it's about ten minutes drive, so anyone who is interested, work out how long to get to that turn off the I5 to see if it's viable. It's a suprisingly long way!

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 15:30:32 »
Sounds great guys....I am sure you'll have a great time!!!

Offline Rasputin

• The Mad Monk
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 15:32:02 »
HI

Would you be doing a house visit or a convention. It seems with October just around the corner the convention is a little unrealistic. I would be interested in helping with a convention if we could get a hall to do dioramas. I have an Aunt in Grants Pass that is about 120 miles to the south. For me to do a house visit it is 550 miles to Martins

Rasputin "The Mad Monk"
If you hear the sound of the bell which will tell you that Grigori has been killed, if it was your relations who have wrought my death, then no one in the family will remain alive. They will be killed by the Russian people. :prays:

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 16:01:07 »
I think we should try for a house visit get together this year and see how it goes. There are only maybe 5 or 6 attendees i can think of that are close enough. If it goes well we might look at trying a public exhibition in a year or two.
Martin, Eugene T&H usually is open on the Sunday of their sale week, and also Sundays in December.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2010, 16:49:29 »
I think we should try for a house visit get together this year and see how it goes. There are only maybe 5 or 6 attendees i can think of that are close enough. If it goes well we might look at trying a public exhibition in a year or two.
Martin, Eugene T&H usually is open on the Sunday of their sale week, and also Sundays in December.

Ah, I just rang them and they said the Sale runs from Monday to Saturday, and the week isn't yet fixed, but that was only a staff member ahd he may not know everything. The staff may not be told the dates until 10 days ahead, but I need to know before that to book time off. The sale is usually in the first half of October.

I therefore suggest one of the following three weekends as a possible date: 9-10th, 16-17th or 23-24th October. If the sale is set for a date not covered, Tim or I cold get details of the sets on sale and buy anything people want ahead of time, and hand it over when we meet.

I have a spare room with two single beds and en-suite bathroom, plus plenty of floorspace if people have air mattresses and sleeping bads and don't mind roughing it a bit to save on Motel costs.

Anyone interested (Ronastoo, Warrior of Toys, Tiermann, Rasputin, Martin Milner, Justindo? Gepetto? Andy R?)  post in this thread, and when we have numbers we can take this to PM for further details. I appreciate that 550 miles is no small drive (up to 10 hours each way) and requires some thinking about.

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2010, 19:05:15 »
My best guess based on past experience is that the sale would fall the week of the 11th through 16th. I will try to stop in on my way to work later this week and ask. Just having a few people ask may be enough to get them to set the dates.

Offline WarriorOfToys

• Wargaming Fanatic
  • Playmo Master
    • Come check out my Playmobil movies!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:38:02 »
Sorry guys, but for me Oregon is just under 3,000 miles away. :P
So I cannot come out. :'(
Steck is BACK! <:>