Author Topic: Train tables and layouts (with pics!)  (Read 62299 times)

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
Train tables and layouts (with pics!)
« on: December 11, 2005, 00:22:25 »
Hello, all you train enthusiasts ...

I was going to ask if we should also include LGB, but I see that Sylvia was once again two steps ahead of me ...  ;)

How many of you actually have train layouts?

How many of you have Playmobil's original electric trains?

Here's a photo of my old layout. We have since sold the house and moved.
(It was a Bavarian village at Christmas with a tunnel at the rear creating a hill for houses.)

This is a photo of my new train table (6'X18') at our newly renovated home on Vancouver Island awaiting my arrival in the Spring ... :)

WOW! ... That's a BIG picture!

Sorry ...  :-[

I also want to build a garden railroad at our Canadian home.

I really like LGB's wireless Multi Train System.

So much to talk about and so much to share.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Tiermann

• Playmo Master
  • Playmosaurus friendus
    • Animobil
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 00:29:40 »
Nice of you to include a lifesize picture Richard. :D

So far I have one engine that just arrived, 9 passenger cars I got from Playmo online since they are so cheap (many to become customs), and my recent auction win that shipped out on Friday.
I used to model HO scale and still have most of my stuff up in the attic.

Perhaps a friendly mod could move my train show thread to this forum?

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 00:46:39 »
Nice of you to include a lifesize picture Richard. :D

That was a bit too much (even for me) ...  :lol:
(I reduced it to a more manageable size.)

I'll bet that they could...

All the best,
Richard

« Last Edit: December 11, 2005, 00:53:23 by Richard »

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 01:20:10 »
Richard ~ How wide is that train table?  Is that for G-scale?
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 02:23:07 »
Richard ~ How wide is that train table?  Is that for G-scale?

Yes, "Mal" ... ;) It's G-scale for Playmobil/LGB trains. And, the table is six feet wide by eighteen feet long.

Offline Serenity

• Playmo Lover
  • just call me Mal
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 02:39:33 »
Can you do a turnaround on that?  How many cars?

We're trying to work out what we'll do for our setup in the back yard, and everything we've been reading has been saying a MUCH wider area is needed.  A friend of ours wasn't sure how wide hers was (without going home and measuring).  Just estimating, I'd say it was 8 feet wide, but she said she could only get a few cars (say 3) to work on that tight a turn.
"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command."

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 04:46:38 »
Can you do a turnaround on that?  How many cars?

We're trying to work out what we'll do for our setup in the back yard, and everything we've been reading has been saying a MUCH wider area is needed.  A friend of ours wasn't sure how wide hers was (without going home and measuring).  Just estimating, I'd say it was 8 feet wide, but she said she could only get a few cars (say 3) to work on that tight a turn.

Hello, Serenity ...

If you're outdoors and you're setting up a garden railroad, then you definitely want to use the largest radius curves available. It will not only look more realistic, but you will also be able to run almost any G-Scale train on your track.

However indoors, a 6'x18' foot layout offers lots of possibilities. Especially if you limit your rolling stock to the older style two axle European and American trains such as Playmobil's 4122 pictured below.

Here are some G-Scale track layout examples of what will fit on an indoor 6' x 18' table. And, if you have multi-levels with mountains and bridges, an even more extensive layout can be created.

Even though Playmobil electric trains have been discontinued, they can still be a lot of fun. Especially since LGB accessories present almost unlimited options.

All the best,
Richard

Offline Psyche

• Playmo Lover
  • Here's to 2006!
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 06:23:46 »

Your wish is my command. :)

I think this is a great idea for a board and am happy to see so many train enthusiasts here. I've only been able to create one layout and that was with my circus train (my 1st train :love: ) and I was lucky to find some assessories in the same scale: a Swiss Gondola ride and a ferris wheel (but it needs a bit of work) and a fun circus tent that is just right for the older red circus. I want to add more train cars but have only recently gotten an engine with enough power to handle the bigger load (I hope.) 

Do you guys know which engine has the most pulling capacity?
Um...if I say something you really don't want to hear, do you promise not to bite me?" - Willow, BTVS

Offline Sylvia

• Administrator
  • Playmo Master
    • Just For Kl!cks
Re: Train tables and layouts (with pics!)
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2005, 10:31:34 »
Hope you don't mind me splitting these posts from the original topic they were in, Richard. ;)

I felt this info and the wonderful pics you have provided warranted a separate title. 8-)

The only train layout I was ever able to make was using 1*2*3 engines and railroad pieces. I have no regular scale Playmobil train parts and am unlikely to buy any as I'm trying to cut back on the collecting side, but I have loads of 1*2*3 train stuff that I bought when my twins were little. I'm not sure if I took any photos of it before I packed it away in the loft, but if I find any I'll post them in this board. :)

Offline Sir Gareth

• Playmo Addict
Re: Train tables and layouts (with pics!)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2005, 11:44:52 »
Wow that's a huge table, it's nearly the size of the average garage here in the UK.

I have almost got everything that I need to complete my future layout, I'm just short of a MISB 4121 cattle car. The layout I would like to do is going to be a lot smaller than any of the track layouts posted, it will be based on a simple oval of track around my western town. I would like to reproduce as near as possible some of the images that you can find on playmo boxes, space will be the deciding factor, I'll post a box side so you can get an idea of what I want to do.

I'm only human, born to make mistakes.