Author Topic: Confederate Soldier's Cap 30 64 6870  (Read 2237 times)

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
    • An Englishman in Eugene
Confederate Soldier's Cap 30 64 6870
« on: October 29, 2007, 17:07:24 »
My American wife noticed that these grey caps have a yellow crown, and told me it wasn't historially correct.

After searching hundreds of images online, I have to agree that this appears to be entirely an invention of Geobra's design department.

Does anyone have any idea why Playmobil did this, or any evidence to show that a yellow crown was used, even once, for a grey Confederate soldier's cap in the American Civil War? 

Offline darky

• Playmo Pal
Re: Confederate Soldier's Cap 30 64 6870
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 18:01:56 »
can you show me a picture?
i might be able to help you.
"FAUGH A BALLAGH!"

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 18:32:53 »
I think I saw it before as well ... somewhere. can't remember when nor where though ...

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 20:09:46 »

Offline Richard

• Retired Playmobil
  • Wargamer
  • Playmo Master
    • Garden Wargaming
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 20:21:35 »
My American wife noticed that these grey caps have a yellow crown, and told me it wasn't historically correct.

Hello, Martin ...

If you haven't told your American wife today that she's brilliant, you might want to now because she is absolutely correct!

Union (Northern) and Confederate (Southern) uniforms followed very similar protocol. Click HERE ...

However ... the Confederate Southern states ran out of resources before the end of the war. Their uniforms became a hodge podge of whatever they could cobble together. Therefore, it is entirely possible that some cavalry troopers may have had just a bit of yellow on the top of their kepis.

It is also very likely that Confederate cavalry was called upon to function as horse artillery.

As you can see from the attachments, Zirndorf obviously knew the difference when they created their COLOR set. But, it appears that they may have forgotten everything they knew when, years later, they created their Civil War sets ... :)

Sometimes, we all forget that Playmobil is just a toy! And, that historical accuracy is compromised for simplicity and to keep costs down.

Regardless, we all seem to expect more from Playmobil than any other toy manufacturer.

All the best,
Richard

Offline CountBogro

• desperate poet
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:10:48 »
perhaps we do expect too much from Geobra. After all, they're a toys company, not a historical society. But still ... discussing these topics does give a lot of info  ;)

Bogro
... and then dusk came and brought despair.

Offline Martin Milner

• Eugene, Oregon, USA
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 08:31:08 »
Hello, Martin ...

If you haven't told your American wife today that she's brilliant, you might want to now because she is absolutely correct!

Sometimes, we all forget that Playmobil is just a toy! And, that historical accuracy is compromised for simplicity and to keep costs down.

Regardless, we all seem to expect more from Playmobil than any other toy manufacturer.

But surely the yellow crown for the cap doesn't make things simpler or keep costs down - it does the exact opposite, and is also historically incorrect  !!  ;)

My other complaint about the Confederates on direct order is having 2 sargeants to one private. Where's the logic in that ?!?  ???

However it's nice to still have them available at all, I never got any when they were out normally, I only got a few Union guys, so it's nice to have them at all.  :)

I was suprised my wife knew about the caps, because history isn't her main interest, or even really a minor interest. Now if it was about the spinning wheel or tapestry loom...

Of course it's only a minor niggle as usual - I'd rather have it wrong than not have it at all!