Author Topic: Pynedor's Playmobil Suggestions (Medieval, Fantasy, Natives, and more)  (Read 17858 times)

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
Seeing how they often used soldiers that are clearly british for the pirate theme, and the nuremberg guards being afflicated with the Holy Roman Empire without a doubt, what is stopping playmobil from releasing more medieval factions based on a specific country?

That could make for a great history lesson since they could incorporate the architecture of that country into the sets without directly copying an existing castle. (would be too big)

Considering the many wars between england and france, they could possibly pit those two against each other in a batch and highlight their strenghts.
English having longbowmen for example, and the french having more knights.
Both sides could have a small castle and an army builder set with about five soldiers, the rest of the sets could be bards, heralds, civilians, a royal court and such.

Would also be great to see the Holy Roman Empire making a return. The nuremberg guards where nice, but with all the newer parts they could do the country more justice. They already designed the distinct gothic armor for playmobil many years ago after all, might as well use it for german knights.
There could also be zweihander swords for some clickies, they could go a bit for a renassance style, kind of like they did with the nuremberg guards (which had a cannon)

Other medieval factions that could distinctively be portrayed through playmobil could be Scotland, Spain, Venice, Turks, Mongols and Byzantium.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Hmm, it is indeed puzzling why they do not make some more Medieval factions based on actual kingdoms. I don't really see any real conflicts that it would cause, at least no more than any of the other figures you mentioned.

What you have reminded me of, however, are some new weapon varieties! I've been thinking of how a two-handed sword could be done, but I reckon it'd end up looking bizarre any way it's done with Klicky's straight arms... Though I really want a nice, European-type falchion (like the Conyers falchion). That's probably my most desired Playmobil weapon to be released, though warhammers would be great too, like I mentioned in the first post.
~Pynedor~

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
I was thinking of a sword thats maybe a little longer, like the katana.
Other weaponry I'd like to see would be smaller hand axes, a bit more like a woodcutter's axe but not quite. A hammer seems nice too, and I'd also like to see medieval short swords. Longswords where usually reserved for nobility after all since they where more expensive.
Smaller crossbows, larger crossbows, bucklers, A two handed axe, javelins and slings could be nice additions as well.
I am still surprised they didnt have slings with the egyptians.

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Some of the Roman sets had javelin-like weapons I think.

I'd really like a nice falchion, but I agree about the short swords; I was thinking about how it'd be done, but then I figured making the "normal" sword shorter would make it resemble the child-sized sword. But a newly designed one would be great. The slightly bigger sword that is also straight reminds me sometimes of a longsword, though it's really more like a broadsword I suppose.

They have that giant two-handed war axe that is really strange looking (and too big for Klicky hands; it makes them bend too widely if the axe is kept equipped for too long), so I think other two-handed weapons might run into a similar problem. Though I think the crystal sword would have to be a two-handed sword (or a magically-imbued one, which I suppose it is), but it looks kind of bizarre by being so large.

I also think a woodcutting axe would be a nice addition, because the hatchet out now is too modern and the smaller war axe is too big and war-like.
~Pynedor~

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
I only have one of those really large axes and am using it as an executioners axe. I'd like to see a more primitive version of it though.. just one sided axe, something suitable for a viking.

Offline Justindo

• Playmo Master
I too would like to see more realistic nation-oriented heraldry.  What about three yellow rampant lions on a red field for England and a single or numerous yellow fleur-de-lis on a blue field for France?  I like the latest lion and eagle knight's heraldry, but some of the heraldry from a few years back was awful.

Regarding weapons, I feel that Playmobil has their medieval swords covered pretty well, although a slightly shorter regular sword would be good for archers and infantry.  I use the large two-handed axe for my "barbarians"/Vikings.  I too would like to see a slightly more realistic hand axe, but I'm making do with their current medieval one.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 05:18:59 by Justindo »
:egypt: :roman: :viking: :knight: :arrr: :indian: :cowboy:

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
I was thinking about the short sword, and I reckon it would be well suited to the new Series dwarf too. It's sad that he has a gladius-type sword in the images we've seen of him though, as it looks strange to me. :( Obviously the normal sword would be too long to fit into his belt, but I would imagine they would design a new one if a Dwarf theme was on the way. I hope they don't recycle the gladii for them!

And as for heraldry, I think it would be cool too just to have some plainly coloured shields, caparisons, and tabards... or at least ones with simple divisions like checked patterns or diagonal colour splits. I think these would fit well into the tournament knights idea, but actual kingdom-themed or already-existing Playmobil-themed heraldries would also be great.
~Pynedor~

Offline PlaymoFrankJon

• Playmo Fanatic
Wow , you have some realy nice idea's !  :)

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
Thank you, PlaymoFrankJon! :)
~Pynedor~

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
After thinking about Medieval helms some more, I reckon it'd be quite awesome to have one of those frog-mouthed tilting helms. I've always thought they look quite sinister and cool. It'd be a perfect addition to a new jousting or tournament line of sets! ;)
~Pynedor~