Author Topic: All the ghost pirates...  (Read 18372 times)

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
Re: All the ghost pirates...
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2010, 22:26:39 »
Panos, actually my hand's been itching ever since I knew this theme existed :o :-[
Since these sets will be around for another year in the US I've been resisting to buy them - First I need to complete themes from the years I was not into collecting. ::)

I know what you mean... I try to get hold of boxed knight sets from the 90's but all the ones I find are so expensive...
I visited my major local toy store this evening again...the ghost pirates and the safari theme are the least to sell...

Offline Luis

• Playmo Master
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2010, 22:49:56 »
I visited my major local toy store this evening again...the ghost pirates and the safari theme are the least to sell...

OMG how so?? :o
well, more for me then :lol:

before I came back to the pm fan forums I thought this theme was a hit...not I see it's all the opposite :(
I once posted a thread on Playmoboard saying the ghost pirates would be one of my top desired themes - I'm glad my wish came true, it just feels weird to be almost the only one who is happy :P
Enjoy the elegance and fun of 1900 with The Victorians photo story! :gent: ;D :sherlock:

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2010, 22:59:50 »
OMG how so?? :o

Well lets face it, these sets are not exaclty state of the art... I like them, but not that much...
Construction sets have sold the most these days mainly because boys would associate themselves with an impressive big yellow constuction tool easier!
The safari theme probably did not do well because, well, there is no appropriate zoo in the city (forgot to tell you about that Bonnie) I doubt there is anything decent in Athens either...so no wild animals for the children to relate to...
Finally, its a greek motherly mentality to keep children away from anything monster-like ... its ok with dinosaurs, but not with fantastic monsters, even reality based ones...

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 23:07:31 »
No zoo where you are?  :(o): I couldn't deal with that! I can't imagine kids growing up without seeing real giraffes and elephants.  :( Though truly the zoo in my city isn't so great either, but there's a really good one in New Orleans, about an hour away.
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 04:19:31 »
No zoo where you are?  :(o): I couldn't deal with that! I can't imagine kids growing up without seeing real giraffes and elephants.  :( Though truly the zoo in my city isn't so great either, but there's a really good one in New Orleans, about an hour away.

The only way I endorse zoos are if they are housing animals that can not survive in their natural habitat due to previous injury. If the animal is healthy they need to be free not imprisoned.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline BlackPearl2006

• Playmo Addict
  • Greetings from USA :) Pirates, Ahoy!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 04:21:49 »
Don't forget the carded 2-pack that comes with a row boat and a baby octopus!
Ahoy, Pirates, Hoist the Colours!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 04:41:05 »
The only way I endorse zoos are if they are housing animals that can not survive in their natural habitat due to previous injury. If the animal is healthy they need to be free not imprisoned.

Yes but what most people don't realize is that the animals in zoos today were born and raised in captivity, and as such, they cannot be released into the wild. They will slowly starve to death. Better to give them a comfortable home in a zoo.

Also, zoos perform an important function in preserving species that are extinct or nearly extinct in the wild. Most modern zoos participate in Species Survival Plans to try to keep these animals from dying out. They also help educate people about animals and their environments.

However, i have to agree that certain animals do not belong in captivity. It's sad to see a tiger pacing up and down trying to find a way out of its cage. These animals usually have a territory of 60 square miles, and simply cannot be happy in a zoo habitat no matter how much enrichment it recieves. other animals seriously don't seem to know the difference.

I also don't approve of keeping large marine mammals like orcas in small tanks and making them perform tricks all day long. Not much better than a circus if you ask me.

In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 04:48:08 »
Yes but what most people don't realize is that the animals in zoos today were born and raised in captivity, and as such, they cannot be released into the wild. They will slowly starve to death. Better to give them a comfortable home in a zoo.

Also, zoos perform an important function in preserving species that are extinct or nearly extinct in the wild. Most modern zoos participate in Species Survival Plans to try to keep these animals from dying out. They also help educate people about animals and their environments.

However, i have to agree that certain animals do not belong in captivity. It's sad to see a tiger pacing up and down trying to find a way out of its cage. These animals usually have a territory of 60 square miles, and simply cannot be happy in a zoo habitat no matter how much enrichment it recieves. other animals seriously don't seem to know the difference.

I also don't approve of keeping large marine mammals like orcas in small tanks and making them perform tricks all day long. Not much better than a circus if you ask me.

I agree with you about about sea world needing to be outlawed! They need to stop letting animals reproduce in captivity in order to break the cycle. To prevent species extinction, they need to start prosecuting poachers with life time prison sentences or death.
  Forget about all of the other stuff,....all we need is the reintroduction of the 3526 Fire Engine!

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 04:53:48 »
To prevent species extinction, they need to start prosecuting poachers with life time prison sentences or death.

I certainly won't argue with that!

As to the zoo thing it is really funny, because the people who love and support zoos feel that way because they love animals, and those who hate zoos and want to abolish them feel that way because they love animals. Just two different points of view!

Offline Bill Blackhurst

• Playmo Master
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2010, 04:56:08 »

As to the zoo thing it is really funny, because the people who love and support zoos feel that way because they love animals, and those who hate zoos and want to abolish them feel that way because they love animals. Just two different points of view!

We agree to disagree, then! :yup: