Author Topic: Helicopter skid compatibility help needed  (Read 261 times)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Helicopter skid compatibility help needed
« on: February 06, 2024, 23:59:47 »
I'm on a bit of a helo bent right now and had a brainstorm to replace the pontoons on the Pontoon Helicopter (3220/5749) with the regular skids seen on the other basic police chopper (3908) -- then I'd have a fun helicopter I could use for TC from the Magnum PI set! What I don't know is whether part 30 03 189 (reg skids) will fit on the Pontoon model... can anyone help?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 00:11:57 by Alex4420 »

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: Helicopter skid compatibility help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 08:19:29 »
Putting pictures of the two parts side-by-side might help:

It looks to me as if the back part might fit, but the front part is convex on one and concave on the other.
Sorry I don't have the pontoon helicopter, so I cannot check them for a physical match.
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline Alex4420

• Playmo Enthusiast
Re: Helicopter skid compatibility help needed
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 12:46:34 »
Thanks!! Did some more digging... turns out PM flipped the positions of the red skid-mounted loudspeakers from below the skids on 3908 to above the skids on 3220 (maybe to get them away from water?). This explains why they changed the shape of the front but the good news is the slot receiving the fuselage insert appears to be the same, so it should work -- and it should look better, because it will be snug as opposed to awkwardly exposed, as it is on the original pontoon helo.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 16:30:40 by Alex4420 »