Author Topic: 3528 Ngorongoro Jeep - Steering Wheel  (Read 2032 times)

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
3528 Ngorongoro Jeep - Steering Wheel
« on: December 19, 2015, 20:44:09 »
I've got the body of this jeep and not much else.  That's OK, because I want to use it for something that doesn't require all its original parts.

But it does need a steering wheel.

I've looked at several vehicles I have, but all the steering wheel attachments are too large for the little socket on this vehicle.  Does anyone know either a part number, or what might fit?
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: 3528 Ngorongoro Jeep - Steering Wheel
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 22:14:04 »
I would imagine that the top of the body separates from the black chassis and that there is then a pillar with a semi-circular hole on the top in which the steering column sits, being held in place by the body.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 21:08:38 »
I had to look to check, but yes, the little black pillar which holds the steering wheel is there.  It's just that the hole in it to hold the steering wheel is too small for most of the steering wheels I have.  I say 'most', because I gave up checking after a slight accident.  I thought that maybe one from an older boat would fit, so I pulled it out of the boat .... and no, it didn't fit.  And now I can't get it back into the boat again!

So before I wrecked any more vehicles in this way, I thought I'd see if anyone knew anything about it.  I have quite a lot of vehicles - newish, oldish, complete, incomplete .... and so incomplete that they are just shells with a few parts attached.  But I don't want to damage anything endlessly trying the wrong steering wheels.
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 21:17:18 »
The other jeeps of this vintage had a steering wheel which had a "neck" narrower than the rest of the steering column and which fitted in a slot.  I'll try and find one and photograph it, but it will be next year now.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 21:03:17 »
Would it be this sort of thing?

I've got several vehicles with those grey pieces holding the steering wheel in place.  All seemingly totally stuck in position, but maybe some very hot water would persuade them to separate.....

But I'm not sure that is what you are describing.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 21:19:15 »
That looks about right.  The piece is held in place by the two pieces which go through the top of the dashboard.  Really, you need to get to the underneath of the dashboard and just press the pieces together and upwards for them to come out.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 21:29:55 »
Thank you.  I've got an incomplete 3498 boat which is probably suitable a for been-there-since-it-was-put-together separation attempt.  The 'bridge' area comes off, so it should be easy to get fingers underneath to remove the steering wheel holding part.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 22:05:20 »
You may need a small screwdriver as it will be stiff.  Push one side in and up and then the other.

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 13:16:36 »
I've just discovered how to put the steering wheel in the jeep!  It turned out that it didn't need any additional parts.

The necessary steering wheel looks like this:

In order to insert it into the steering wheel column, however, that black steering wheel column needs to be moved forwards.

Underneath the vehicle, just behind the front wheels, there is a handy hole.  One needs to insert some kind of sturdy stick into this hole.  I simply used a pair of closed tweezers, because they were laying nearby.

Once the stick (or tweezers, or whatever) is in the hole, firm pressure can be applied to the backside of the steering column, and the steering column will be pushed forwards, revealing a slot into which the steering wheel can be inserted.

The 'firm pressure' that I mentioned required the use of both of my hands - one hand to push against the steering column, and one hand to hold the jeep steady.  That didn't exactly leave any hands free to operate the camera ... hence the blurry photo!

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 13:21:11 »
I've just discovered how to put the steering wheel in the jeep!  It turned out that it didn't need any additional parts.

AWESOME - thanks for the guide - I am quite sure I have vehicles of that type in need of that sort of repair!