Author Topic: 5950 Pirate Ship  (Read 11638 times)

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
5950 Pirate Ship
« on: July 27, 2011, 23:59:28 »
Ok well here goes nothing... right off the bat the colors are... interesting... but they do grow on you a bit as you put it together...

The ship itself is slightly bigger than a schooner and maybe a teeny bit smaller than the classic pirate ship... There is no storage space, just and indentation for a locking treasure chest.
Someday, I will organize my stuff, I promise.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
Re: 5950 Pirate Ship
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 00:04:37 »
There is a spot with a compass sticker on it just in front of the wheel... great spot for an additional mast if you like.

The sails are in my wife's opinion a starched broadcloth, but rather thin. Not as sturdy as a thick interfacing would be.

One of my cross mast pieces was not fully formed but not as bad as a bridge building piece I got once... a little hot glue and we could proceed. I may or may not call about it, haven't decided yet.

The wheel itself is odd, and the hardest part to put on the ship. I almost broke it because I didn't think it was on yet, but it actually went on fairly easily, just didn't feel like that should be it.

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 00:07:46 »
Here is the crew, which would actually look great if we hadn't seen most of them exactly this way several times before. But they do come with a fair number of accessories, wristbands, weapons, etc.

The fully assembled ship.

One of the nicer features are the standing posts on the sides of the ship, for action scenes no doubt!

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 00:09:24 »
Another shot of the whole ship.

The IMO hideous sticker on the back and also the side... even though it isn't as bad as that back... yuck!

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 00:13:45 »
Overall impressions, it is probably worth the $30 US it cost... but unless you love the colors, pirates, or plan to turn it into a medieval merchant ship or something, then you probably won't be missing out on a whole lot if you don't catch this one.

And it should be the same as the new British ship for next year too, so better colors are coming... eventually. :)

Hope that wasn't too biased. I actually do like the ship, but I bought it mostly to tear it to pieces  ;D

A few minor points, the long black coat is AWESOME!!!... and the serpent deal on the front is interesting.

Offline PrimusPilus

• Playmo Addict
  • Aut caesar, aut nihil!
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:15:34 »
Thirty bucks I would say is a pretty good price for that.
Minus the skull stickers, of course .
Cheers!
Luciano

Offline cachalote

• x
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 02:26:45 »
:thanks: thanks for the review baron marshall.
 :hmm: this is a very strange set - almost frightening.
 :'( the pre-assembled concept, its color scheme, the stickers - it looks so fischer-price-y.
in the early pirate ships the figures seemed to be less developed than the ship itself.
now we have what it seems like a "plain" ship and the figures look so more "complex" when compared.
it seems that both - ship and figures - don't belong to the same set, to the same world, to the same manufacturer.
    honni soit qui mal y pense

Offline Wolf Knight

• Playmo Guru
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:06:01 »
Thanks for the great review and pics Baron!!

its a nice set, once you remove the stickers and the sail that is... but I'd buy it with no second thought...

Offline Hadoque

• Capitaine de la "Licorne"
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:12:38 »
Thanks for the review!

I think I'm not gonna try to get this one, perhaps it may show up in the future in a better layout & colours...

Btw, the new English ship 5140 (release Germany & Benelux next month, rest of the world in 2012) is based on the dinghy. It just received an upperdeck, so it is smaller then this one.

Resistance is futile, you will be boarded!

Offline Baron Marshall

• Playmo Master
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:28:00 »
That's too bad about the 5140... now that I take a closer look... but im sure they'll use this one again. Its not bad... just not the best execution.