Author Topic: Ferrovie dello Balconia (part 2)  (Read 30314 times)

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
Re: Ferrovie dello Balconia (part 2)
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2019, 16:00:19 »
A great idea, but is there a plaque on the other side the other way up?
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2019, 19:58:38 »
On the other carriage.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #203 on: May 30, 2019, 06:08:07 »
On the other carriage.

Thank you.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2019, 21:08:19 »
First real driving day at new location

My father had already decided two years earlier not to drive with the caravan because of his age. The possibility of moving to a new place on the campsite, further from the motorway and closer to the forest, was also tackled. For the Ferrovie dello Balconia this also meant that they had to move. The plan was to drive last year, but the new grass wouldn't allow it. The levelling of the ground was disappointing, that was more work than expected, and two heat waves in a row ensured that the new grass hardly had a chance to grow.
But even on this beautiful Sunday at the 2nd of June it did work out in the end. My cousin of the Eastern Balcony Railway was also present, and so was Ed Steam. That had an extra reason, I'm working on a project to make rails on a 3D printer, but more about that later in a separate article.
He had brought a diesel locomotive and also a live team locomotive. After first taking good care of the inner man, hospitality is written with a capital G by my parents, a railway was built and eventually we could drive. I doubted about the purchase of R2 rails from LGB, and my cousin had brought them with him. Then I could try out the layout I had in mind for a long time. Everything was fitting well, the garden is even bigger than I think, and now the R2 rails from LGB are on my wish list.
There was only one small incident on this day. Despite my father's hard work to level the garden, there was unfortunately a hole next to the footpath. I filled it with some Playmobil rails, to make a temporary trestle. Unfortunately the steamlocomotive tipped over after a few laps, which resulted in a small roadside fire and damage to the upper Playmobil rails. Fortunately everything went well. But because some children came to watch, we had to quickly clean up the hot stuff (the ash tray had fallen out of the bottom), where Edwin unfortunately burned a finger.
For the rest it was a very successful day, and we were also able to apply the railway virus to some of the children this time. After all, the youth has the future. Moreover, I have all kinds of plans that are worth developing, and now I also have some ideas for a nice railway plan.

Henk and Ed Steam have known each other for a long time, and it's nice to see each other again. Of course the coffee was already ready in the portacabin. That grass has made way for a tile. It's a bit more pleasant to walk on.

On the left the diesel train of the Eastern Balcony Railway with two wooden open wagons, on the right a passenger train of the Ferrovie dello Balconia.

Ed Steam was busy with the diesel train to get coal for the steam engine. That's quite a job.

Tell me yourself, a steam locomotive like that is a mighty beautiful thing.

Oops, little incident. Henk and Ben inspect the damage to the Playmobil rails. Luckily everything went well.

Children are always a grateful audience, and there are childishly simple solutions for everything. The lack of a tunnel is solved in this way. And hopefully we have made some children enthusiastic again for a nice hobby. I soon lost the remote control.

Hard work gets you warm. But Billy-Jo, Betty-Jo and Bobby-Jo do know how to cool down in hot weather.

A narrow gauge railway has its own charm. Everything in this picture has been made by Edwin, and that should be said.

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #205 on: June 03, 2019, 09:01:14 »
A wonderful time for all, and some very nice locos and rolling stock.  Thank you for sharing, Marco, and I look forward to more, especially about the 3D-printed rails.

I've been thinking about R2 curves as it seems they would make having a double track layout easier.

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #206 on: June 03, 2019, 09:37:12 »
I am working on that....

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #207 on: June 23, 2019, 12:17:03 »
The railway plan of 2 June 2019. Pretty simple, but the garden is bigger than I think. The green curves are R2 curves from LGB, which Edwin took with him. The steam locomotive drives better on these curves. These R2 curves are now on my wish list.
In the meantime my father has told me that the nasty hole in the garden has been filled in. That was the place where the steam engine derailed (and caused a small roadside fire).

But I am quite satisfied, this opens up a lot of new possibilities  ;)

P.s.: Just bought a batch of LGB R2 curves on eBay.

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #208 on: July 04, 2019, 10:08:14 »
Henk and Ben look with great interest at the bright red fire engine that drives in front of the portacabin.
"May we introduce ourselves? We are fireman Sam, commander Staal and Kitty (with megaphone)."
"Well," Henk notes with satisfaction, "we could use a company fire brigade since the EBR is visiting us with live-steam locomotives."
Ben also agrees, "The last roadside fire was difficult for us to extinguish, so we welcome you!"

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #209 on: August 21, 2019, 19:55:16 »
I used the burned Playmobil rail to make an adapter rail to LGB rails.
Ideal when a short temporary extension is needed.