Author Topic: Ferrovie dello Balconia (part 2)  (Read 30285 times)

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
Re: Ferrovie dello Balconia (part 2)
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2018, 08:07:40 »
But, seriously, there are big rail developments in Australia where the Gold Coast line is being extended.  In the last 12  to 18 months when I was working I had a temporary PA who got a job with Balfour Beatty who were building the extension.  She already had a degree in French and Business Studies and her started studying for a degree related to the construction industry with Balfour Beatty and then went out to Australia to work on the Gold Coast line after she'd completed her degree course.

That is this railway line we are speaking about?

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2018, 14:16:27 »
That is this railway line we are speaking about?

Yes, Balfour Beatty were providing the catenary system, so not the whole railway.  I recall now that my forner PA's later degree was in Commercial Surveying and she worked on Terminal 5 at Heathrow first and then the Gold Coast line, so/ that would be 2012 onwards.  She was working for me in 2000 to 2002; I retired in August, 2002.

Someone obviously underestimated how popular the line was going to be.
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2018, 22:18:02 »
Problems with the crane.

Until now, the sleepers and rails have been transported separately by Harry und Henrietta Gleisbau GmbH and have been assembled on site into sections of railway track. But this is a time-consuming construction method and a logistical nightmare. One of the employees suggested that the sections of track should be pre-assembled at a fixed location, and complete sections of track should be transported to the construction site. The construction of a railway line then goes much faster. Unfortunately, the first attempt did not go quite well. When lifting a pre-mounted section of railway track, the MATRA railway crane tilted forward. The MATRA railway crane proved to have insufficient counterweight. For the time being, construction work has been stopped until a good solution is found.

When hoisting the first section of railway track, it is already immediately going wrong.

The MATRA crane tilts forward and is completely detached from the rails.

Henriëtta signs to the driver of the Ferrovie dello Balconia to stop working for the time being. First, a solution must be found for the MATRA crane.

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #63 on: March 06, 2018, 22:35:07 »
It needs more weight or outriggers, or maybe if another heavier piece of rolling stock were attached to it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:03:43 by playmofire »
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2018, 02:06:48 »
Or you could just step on it.  8-)
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman:

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2018, 07:03:59 »
Or you could just step on it.  8-)

:lol:

Offline The_Mad_Hadder

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2018, 22:00:26 »
Really great stuff here Marco
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop." Lewis Carroll

Offline Marco_4124

• Playmo Addict
  • Playmo Flagmaster
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2018, 21:25:09 »

Henriëtta is visiting Henk to discuss the problems with the MATRA crane while enjoying a cup of coffee. Ballast weights will have to be placed on or in the crane in order to be able to lift heavier loads with the MATRA crane. Henk can reassure Henriëtta: The chief workshop of the Eastern Balcony Railway promised to cut pieces from the ballast weights of Playmobil wagons and use them as ballast weights for the MATRA crane. The promised weights are on their way, so Henriëtta still has to be patient. Meanwhile, Henriëtta is looking around in the portacabin "With which eccentric lord is Ben speaking?” Henk answers: ”That is Isambard Kingdom Brunel, he is going to make the design for the new tunnel through Box Hill.”

In the background Ben discusses the problems with Isambard Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Along the route there is a large box with tea and coffee cups, and the train can not drive around it. “No problem," says Isambard, “I am a pioneer in tunnel and bridge construction. By way of exception, I would like to work on a narrow-gauge railway line.” And that is at least, if you know this gentleman, a remarkable decision.

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2018, 08:52:00 »
More great pics, as usual.

The chief workshop of the Eastern Balcony Railway (...)

:lmao:

“No problem," says Isambard, “I am a pioneer in tunnel and bridge construction. By way of exception, I would like to work on a narrow-gauge railway line.” And that is at least, if you know this gentleman, a remarkable decision.

Brunel.. tunnel, bridge... and also ships, right?  (he features in North and South)

Online playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2018, 10:20:02 »
That is superb, Marco!   :lol:  And what wonderfully subtle allusions to Isambard Kingdom Brunel and his work.  BRAVO!  :wave: