Author Topic: Playmobil and LGB... how it works???  (Read 13926 times)

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
Playmobil and LGB... how it works???
« on: March 03, 2009, 20:02:44 »

Im new in train theme, but a few things go my atention, i got some questions...

Lehmann and LGB is the same??
I know playmobil and Lehmann work thogeter but was it??
playmobil made the trains and Lehmann the tracks??
or lehmann made evrything trains and tracks??

if they were so nice, what and when happend that they stop working together... i think would be around 97'

i got a few LGB train... Lehmann toytrain, is a line of trains for kids... not just for dispalys or layout, but just for kids, with horrible wannabe clicks... what makes me think... the company got greedy?? 

or was a desperated resource when they where crushing down??

well, i hope some one coul help me in this matter...

thak's everybody
i migth have more doubts but for now that's it...

or maybe playmobil got the RC and decided to keep the bussiness...

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
Re: Playmobil and LGB... how it works???
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 21:30:17 »
Leahmann & LGB were the same.
Playmobil bought the track from LGB for its trains.

In 1998 Playmobil stopped producing the trains that were supplied with power from the tracks to new ones that were radio-controlled (R.C.). Using a hand controller with a battery and a battery in the locomotive and running on plastic track. This was partly due to the new EEC regulation that stated that it is not recommended to have track-powered trains for children under 8 years old. As Playmobil divided their sets into two ages 1,2,3 years and 4+ years and by 8+ a lot of children have stopped using Playmobil (Some still use it at 80+). They then went for the radio-controlled trains.

Playmobil and LGB still carried on working together.

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 17:11:27 »
thanks for the helpful information, its true you can make a storm out of a glass of water...  :-[

and the engines... why if they make one the oldtimer train (4021) and the Christmas one in RC, why they don't' make any of the other engines... (and i don't want sound greedy) like the double engine one?

I have the 4021 and the small electric locomotive, but you cant change the electric block for the RC battery... why they didn't give the choice to decide which system use?

watching the line of electrics ones makes me wonder if they were intended for kids only, or also for train collectors... nowdays i can tell the new ones are intended for kids... see the cargo trains for example, the new colors... even when make a freight car has a bike on a side...

well maybe they screw it when they decide to stop making trains for 8+, its always the same, lapse of stupidity after a lapse of genius

Offline Walts-Trains

• Playmo Lover
    • Walts Playm0bil Collection
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 22:25:42 »
The first Playmobil trains that picked up from the track all used the same motor block in the chassis.
The first one was a 0-4-0 tank for the USA market and had a cow catcher and spark arrester chimney.
For the European market the cow catcher was replaced by buffers and a coupling. The spark arrester was replaced by a straight chimney.
This version lasted till about 1994 with changers in numbers. In 1995 the same design was used with a different colour of green body till 1997.

1980 the red diesel loco was made till 1994. In 1995 the same design was used but the colour was yellow black till 1997.

The Western loco was made from 1988 to 1997 but only had a motor block in the tender. A special edition of this was made about the mid 90s with buffers at the front and a straight chimney. The cow catcher and spark arrester chimney being left in the box.

From 1983 to 1994 the tender locomotive was made in two versions. One with the motor block in the loco and one with two motor blocks, one in the loco and one in the tender.

There was a crane locomotive from 1986 to 1994 with a white roof and from 1995 to 1997 a grey roof.

1998 saw the first of the R.C. trains the design of the body of the black (old timer) was the same as the original black locos except there was a hole in the doom for the aerial to come through. A new chassis was used to accommodate the battery. This was withdrawn in 2005.
 A Christmas version was produced in 1999 using the same design with a green body and special markings. The buffers and coupling at the front were replaced with a cow catcher and the straight chimney with a spark arrester one. There was also a new cab roof.

An RCE express also was produced from 1999 to 2005. The colour was blue bottom with white top. A centre car was produced so the train could be lengthened.
The same motor block was used in all three units.

2005 the large red electric loco was introduced with working LED headlights.
The motor block was a modification of the original block having a one outlet in the middle to supply the lights.

2005 the new RCE with working LED lights came out this was yellow at the bottom and white at the top. The body was similar to the blue/white in shape but had been modified to carry the connection and wires for the headlights.
This motor block now having two outlets in the middle to supply the lights.

2008 latest R.C loco was introduced and has the same body as the original diesel but the body is in orange. There is a working LED headlight. The motor block in the same as used in the red loco with one centre outlet.

There are now 6 R.C. trains have now been made in ten years.

The old bodies except the western and tender locos will clip on the new Playmobil R.C. 0-4-0 chassis, but you would need to make a hole for the aerial.

Hope this may have been some help to you. Remember the trains are a very small part of the Playmobil output.
If you are not happy with the situation then why not write to Playmobil?

Offline Amd

• Amdnrao
  • Playmo Lover
  • back to middle earth
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 22:25:33 »
ok, thanks for the helpful information,

so the big locomotive with two engines (4052)  has a variant with only one engine, wich is??? 4029 by the way??

so the first train ever made had a cow catcher and a western chimey, and was never released in europe (i think is the 3958) and the same body was used for the common 0-4-0 thas was widely used  (4000, 4001, 02,4005) even for the RC (4021) wich is similar to the chritsmas one 4035  (like the first American version, with cow catcher and western chimey)

the they have the yellow tow one, the one with white roof 4053, and the one with gery roof (also 4053)

Now the western one... wich number is the one especial edition from the mid 90's? do you have a picture? i heard about a special edition with smoke... is that true??

now, the 4029 is the same that 4031 or here is where you say the one with two motors, like the 4052

well  thanks for the patiente and time,
greetings!!!

Offline Knight Train

• Playmo Lover
  • Knight in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 06:33:42 »
Here's the answers to a few of the questions:

so the big locomotive with two engines (4052)  has a variant with only one engine, wich is??? 4029 by the way??

This is true.  different decals, same engines, but the coal tender for the 4029 has a engine block with no motor or geared wheels.

now, the 4029 is the same that 4031 or here is where you say the one with two motors, like the 4052

The only difference between the 4031 and 4029 is the voltage of the transformer, 220 volts versus 120 volts.