Author Topic: It’s NOT in the book!  (Read 1613 times)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
It’s NOT in the book!
« on: February 08, 2021, 10:34:54 »
‘The book’ being Playmobil Collector 1994-2009 by Axel Hennel. 3rd Edition pub Fantasia Verlag GmBH 2009

Last year, whilst browsing on eBay.de, I spotted something interesting;

What caught my eye were those black and white wheels on the yellow car. I knew there were yellow cars with grey wheels (set 3219x) and yellow and black wheels (set 3524), but I hadn’t seen black and white wheels on a yellow car before.

The listing photos showed the set number 3134. I looked it up in Collector, but while there were other sets with this number (this one and this one ), the car with horsebox set wasn’t there. Research on Klickywelt suggested this set was one of a number of ‘export’ sets which were not featured in German PM catalogues as they were created for export markets (though this one did come from Germany).

As purifra commented in a 2007 Klickwelt topic started by Gast, which listed all PM vehicles;

These sets [below] are not yet in the Collector, but are already planned for the 3rd edition. These are exclusive* sets from 1980 …
3134 car with horse trailer

3135 cars with trailer and boat
3137 Two racing cars (3520) in different colors(Translated with Google Translate)

*Collector would term these sets ‘export.’ Exclusive sets were “only available through one selling partner.”

(Pictures of sets 3135 and 3137 appear on the sides of the set box for 3134- see below)

So, 3134 was one of three known 1980 export sets not included in the second edition of Collector, but it didn’t get included in the third edition either. How many other sets missed being included I wonder? In the third edition, it should perhaps appear on page 322, between sets 3133 and 3135.

The set is featured on klickypedia here.

So I don’t think this is a particularly rare set, but it is one of very few ‘German’ sets which the late Axel Hennel missed!
At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline GrahamB

• Playmo Master
    • Playmofanatic
Re: It’s NOT in the book!
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 10:35:47 »
Well, I bid on the listing and here is what I won:

1.   The box
(complete with graffiti ‘Krankenwagen’ – ambulance!) This is certainly genuine.

Front

Back

Side

Side

Ends

Here is the box front, cleaned and with graffiti removed using Photoshop®

2.   The car
This matches the one shown on the box, though it has a radio aerial at the front, not present on the car on the box picture. I made number-plate stickers to match those on the box picture.

3.   The instruction sheet
This doesn’t belomng here! The sheet (3080713) is from set 3140, a horsebox and jeep set from 1986.

4.   The horsebox
This is probably not from set 3134 either, because it has stickers on the back from set 3140 and not the blue stickers shown in the 3134 box picture. But the plastic parts look a match for the 3134 box picture.

I used blue stickers from set 3505 from 1978 when I made the picture below.

5.   Horses, klickies and accessories

I assembled these by consulting the box picture.

30 02 1770   2x   Horse saddle, black
30 02 3460    2x   Balloon string, light grey
30 04 1340    2x   Bucket, small, with holes for handle, steel blue (or similar)
30 04 1370    2x   Handle of bucket, steel blue (or similar)
30 06 4050   2x   Jacket lapels, joined in front, black
30 60 2430    1x   Trailer Dolly with wheel; chock blocks [2], black
30 60 0900    1x   Sign, Warning Triangle, With Stand, black
30 65 7380    1x   Horse (old-style) light brown
30 66 2000    1x   Horse (old-style) dark brown
[30 80 0520]    1x   (similar) Stickers for warning sign, licence plates, and red cross
k3388       2x   Man, classic style, brown hair, red torso, red arms, white legs (fixed wrists)
p3543a       1x   Dog, small shepherd-type, tan
(Unknown part number, suggest p3174xa)    4x    Cuff, wide, old-style, black
(Unknown part number, suggest p3326xa)   2x    Riding hat, old-style, black
(Unknown part number, suggest p3164xa)    1x   Suitcase, old-style, 2 equal halves, light blue

At that moment the ship suddenly stopped rocking and swaying, the engine pitch settled down to a gentle hum. 'Hey Ford.' said Zaphod, 'that sounds good. Have you worked out the controls on this boat?' 'No,' said Ford, 'I just stopped fiddling with them.' (With thanks to Douglas Adams)

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 11:00:27 »
That's awesome  :love:

(I want that blue F1 car. Why? No idea. Not core. But I want it! :P )

Offline flatcat

• Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 17:58:19 »
Always fascinating to find something that has missed the book! :o

I too have never come across this set before

I love these weird exclusive/export set combinations 8}

My favourite one I had was the brown covered wagon with green canopy set 3176 on page 318 of 3rd ed.

I think Giorginetto has it now, but I can't remember

Offline Macruran

• desperate but not serious
  • Playmo Master
  • Hiya!
    • my incomplete collection spreadsheet
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 04:04:28 »
Incredible Sherlockery!  :sherlock: :bunny:
"We like things in little." - G. Stein  
 :roman: