Author Topic: Kirkbean 2014 - Victorian seaside Scene  (Read 7627 times)

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
Kirkbean 2014 - Victorian seaside Scene
« on: September 20, 2014, 18:28:50 »
Apologies for being so late in posting these photos from the Exhibition, I have had a very busy couple of months with one thing and another but today I am having a day off from other things to post my photos.

I had wanted to make a small Victorian seaside town scene for some time and have spent the last year collecting the pieces for the pier.  (I have so many safari sets now that I'll have to do a safari display next year.)

Because I have already posted photos from the inside of the houses/hotels in the section of free dollshouse wallpaper  http://www.playmofriends.com/forum/index.php?topic=14130.0
I won't put these on again.

The overall display measures 12 feet x 8 feet.  Hope you like it...

Some views from different angles ...

The main beach...

There are stone steps down to the beach...

The harbour where the fish is being unloaded...

There is a small beach to the right of the pier...

The pier ...

There is a small market near the harbour where it is quite busy ...

There is also an information kiosk here where visitors can get help ...

A view of the town's largest hotel ...

where some guests are arriving ...

Views of the park with the bandstand ...

A brass band is playing outside the hotel ...

Nearby, a local detective has discovered a lady's handbag that had been stolen ...

Meanwhile, at the pavillion a couple are posing for wedding photos ...

...inside  a table is set for the wedding breakfast ...

Some people have driven to the seaside for a day out ...

The fire brigade are in attendance at one of the guest houses ...

where the poor chimney sweep has lost his footing ...

(Thank you to Gordon for providing the fire engine and to Diane for furnishing the guest houses for me)

We only had four days to set up the whole exhibition this year and because a couple of the displays were on different levels it was quite a challenge to do, however the end result was worth the sleepless nights!

I'll post the photos from the other displays in seperate topics as there are so many!

Elaine

A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline Birdie

• Playmo Master
Re: Kirkbean 2014 - Victorian seaside Scene
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 20:12:01 »
Like it? Love it!!  :love:
I've been looking forward to these pictures ever since you showed some of the overview pictures of the latest Kirkbean Exhibition. Thanks for sharing them  :)

The pier was worth all of those safari sets and more. It looks like the real deal! I really like how you made the beach on a lower lever with brick walls and steps all the way down, and a docking area. I've never seen anyone mix the Victorian railings with medieval stone connectors. Do they stand on their own, like that? 

All those Victorian houses in different colours look amazing together *sigh*
I love the Victorian people on the beach (the weight lifter, he is great for that scene!!), and the baskets full of fish, and the kids beneath the pier (are they playing hide and seek?), and that poor chimney sweep.
The kiosk is brilliant, did you have to paint a red pointy roof black, or does it come in a set somewhere?

I'm sure it was a ton of work, but I for one am glad you did it  ;D  And I'm guessing all the visitors did too!

:wow:

Offline Raven

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 20:22:17 »
So many details ... I love the children climbing on the pier!  And the brass band.

The beach looks so realistic - is it real sand?
Have a good time, make life cheerful and bright, dance if you want to, sing if you can, play as long as you live and leave the world with a smile - Lemuel K. Washburn

Offline skypurr

• Crafty Klicky
  • Playmo Master
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 20:41:25 »
Thank you Birdie and Raven.

Birdie - The Victorian railings and the castle connectors had to be held in place with hot glue but luckily it all peeled off OK at the end.  I fastened them to thin strips of wood painted grey to match the base boards (actually some extra pieces that I'd recently taken off the bottom of some wooden Venetian blinds) so that they could be placed on the board easily,  if I had the storage space I could have kept themlike that to use in other scenes.
The roof on the information kiosk is one of the red castle roofs spray painted black.

Raven - Yes it was real sand - we used the same wooden strips from the blinds fastened to the end of the boards to stop ithe sand from falling all over the floor!

Elaine
          A house is not a home without a cat (or two).

Offline bonniebeth

• playmo zoo architect
  • Playmo Guru
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 22:20:12 »
How lovely! The dangling chimney sweep is my favorite detail. :lol:
My playmobil zoo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0grq9acog
In the end, we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught.

Offline Daniela

• Playmo Addict
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 06:14:31 »
Wonderful diorama with so much heartwarming details!  :love:

The children chasing round the pier, Sherlock finding the bag, the Guards Band...

And I also love the poor chimney sweeper in trouble.  :D :o

Thank you for sharing!

Daniela
Enjoy my Playmobil Opera and much more:
https://get.google.com/albumarchive/102361137865573914508

Offline Rhalius

• Playmo Master
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 07:49:04 »
It's a very beautifull diorama with some nicely painted customs and many great details. I really like that victorian hotel.

I'm guessing that chimney sweep tried to be like the chimney sweepers from Mary Poppings but was not quite up for dancing on the rooftops.  :P

Offline playmofire

• Klicky Firemeister
  • Playmo Guru
    • Copt Hewick Volunteer Fire Brigade - probably the world's smallest fire brigade!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 08:26:01 »
Thanks for posting these, Elaine.  Even though I've got my onw photos of the display and looked round it a number of times when Diane and I were at Kirkbean, there are still details I missed and only saw in these photos!

When you want to get rid of some of those safari parts, I think they can make good railway platforms!
“Today well-lived makes every yesterday a day of happiness to remember and every tomorrow a vision of hope.”

Offline Pynedor

• Playmo Master
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 12:15:44 »
It looks really good. I like all of the different market stands! :)
~Pynedor~

Offline tahra

• Playmo Guru
    • playkingdoms
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 14:29:06 »
Thanks for sharing, it looks great!

Must have been a ton of work indeed, but it is amazing. I also love the kiosk and the chimney sweep + ancient fireman trucky scene  :)